Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im new to the forum and i recently bought a 2014 focus ST. i am 18 years old and i am just trying to get a quick estimate of how much my insurance will cost. i think i am going to go through progressive.The car is financed so i will need to have it under full coverage.i have a spotless record, but my age is the biggest concern. those of you close to my age, what did you start out paying for insurance?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi, im new to the forum and i recently bought a 2014 focus ST. i am 18 years old and i am just trying to get a quick estimate of how much my insurance will cost. i think i am going to go through progressive.The car is financed so i will need to have it under full coverage.i have a spotless record, but my age is the biggest concern. those of you close to my age, what did you start out paying for insurance?
My friend at your age I had a civic si and I was paying an arm and a leg. If i remember correctly it was around 350-400 a month. Things have gotten much easier now to where alot of companies will insure you without much fuss. Progressive is pretty good and cheap, also geico as well.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm 22 now, and my insurance through GEICO (same company as progressive) was about $225 starting out. Because your not a junior operator anymore they could bump it down to $200 or a little less. Honestly depends on so many factors so we all can't give you an accurate answer. Locations a huge factor in your insurance quote too. But overall insurance for the ST is cheap compared to other cars in the market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah they gave me a quote of about 380 but i didnt think it was right when im only paying 33 a month for my 2012 SE hatchback through bear river mutual.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Find a local agent that is independent so you can shop rates with multiple companies. That's going to be your best bet.

·
Registered
660 Posts
This^^^ @moosehead89 is exactly correct. The amount quoted to you is probably not far off. But again, it depends on many factors and as someone else said location is a major factor.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Get many quotes, and have the companies compete for your business. If one give you a quote of $xxx/month.. tell them the other guy was cheaper, and watch them negotiate.

Good Luck

·
Registered
154 Posts
Find a local agent that is independent so you can shop rates with multiple companies. That's going to be your best bet.
This is great advice. So much depends on where you live that's it's hard to get a reliable answer from anyone. Another word of advice is that after you have had insurance for a while try going to another insurer for a better rate especially if they rate hike you. But don't threaten to leave if you aren't willing to back it up. I've never paid over 100.00 for any insurance I've ever had so keep that record spotless! It pays.

The st is one of the cheapest to insure of cars that are this caliber. According to my State Farm agent it's because the agencies don't view it as any type of sports car(i.e. Not two door, convertible, and under 300hp plus other factors). Heck when I got the tag it wasn't even in the system so it got registered as an s so taxes were cheap

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Insurance premiums have so many variables; location, marital status, any potential discounts, driving record, even credit rating. Also at your age your grades can help.

Don't want to be 'that guy' - but this is something that should be checked on prior to buying a car. Especially for anyone under single & under 25yo.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Was about to say the same thing as DkpST. I don't want to be "that guy" either but, when making a large purchase like a vehicle or home, you should always look into the costs of ownership before buying. Just because you can afford to buy something does not mean you can afford to own it.

I know it is too late for you now, but you should always call your insurance company and ask for a quote before buying a car. That said, you aren't going to get anywhere near $33/mth with a Focus ST. Performance cars are always more expensive to insure.

As an example, I looked into getting an Acura TSX and it would cost me $200/yr to insure. I pay $800/yr for my FoST or 4x the rate as a "non-performance" vehicle. Just for sh*ts and giggles, I contacted my insurance co. for quotes on some other performance cars. Here are the rates I got:

Mustang GT or Shelby GT350 - $3000/yr (interesting that the insurance is the same)
Cayman GT4 - $3,200/yr
Ford GT - they will need to get back to me

Since you are 18 and have a very short driving history, you are going to get some very high rates insuring a performance car. If you can, I would suggest getting on your parents' insurance and insuring the car through them. It's probably the only way you will get a reasonable rate.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
This is great advice. So much depends on where you live that's it's hard to get a reliable answer from anyone. Another word of advice is that after you have had insurance for a while try going to another insurer for a better rate especially if they rate hike you. But don't threaten to leave if you aren't willing to back it up. I've never paid over 100.00 for any insurance I've ever had so keep that record spotless! It pays.

The st is one of the cheapest to insure of cars that are this caliber. According to my State Farm agent it's because the agencies don't view it as any type of sports car(i.e. Not two door, convertible, and under 300hp plus other factors). Heck when I got the tag it wasn't even in the system so it got registered as an s so taxes were cheap

No way in hell will OP get anywhere near $100 a month. I really doubt it will be under 200 a month.

You want to talk expensive insurance? Try a 16 year old with a big block '66 Mustang. It was over $200 a month back in the 90's. And that's with a good student discount.

Sent from a new potato

·
Registered
408 Posts
No way in hell will OP get anywhere near $100 a month. I really doubt it will be under 200 a month.

You want to talk expensive insurance? Try a 16 year old with a big block '66 Mustang. It was over $200 a month back in the 90's. And that's with a good student discount.

Sent from a new potato
Lol, i let it slip that my non turbo car was modified and was now turboed and they cancelled my policy right then and there. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Lol, i let it slip that my non turbo car was modified and was now turboed and they cancelled my policy right then and there. Lesson learned.

Whoops!

My first insurance guy was really cool. I called him and told him that I wasn't on the honor roll anymore, and he said, "I won't know if you don't tell me."

I ended up going back to him well over a decade later. Great rates. We pay right around 170 a month for both vehicles, renters, and special policies for my hockey jersey and beer collections.

Sent from a new potato

·
Registered
241 Posts
My 2016 ST is the most expensive insurance I've paid on a vehicle. I'm 28 i pay something like $110 a month. When i had my mustang GT vert i only paid around 80 bucks i don't know whats up with that. Hell my mustang was cheaper to insure than my hyundai tiburon. Full coverage on my bike is about 45 bucks a month so thats not too bad. Just got married not sure if it will be cheaper adding me and my wifes cars together or not

·
Registered
154 Posts

Sent from a new potato
Mustangs can be bad. I was quoted 340 when I was 20 for a new gt. But depending on where he lives like BFE Alabama it could seriously be around $200 maybe less if he went with and st1. It's a 24k car that's in the same category as a turbo fusion.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
You live in Utah, so that's the biggest difference between you and I other than the fact I am 3 years older (be 21 in a month and a half).

I started with a local Erie insurance agency with my GSXR-600 and they use Progressive for motorcycles. Horrible rates. They were almost double what I pay now that I switched to Allstate. So with Allstate I purchased my Focus ST (also a 2014) financed, and I wasn't afraid to shop around even though I already had a great relationship with Allstate. Anyway, I ended up finding that Allstate was the most forgiving to people under 21/25 and that for my car they would only charge me 160 a month (only 140 if I do the early signing bonus). I was pretty blown away by the quote, but I have a 5 year long history of perfect driving and 2 years of safe riding on my "very dangerous" motorcycle.

*My biggest advice to you is to call and get a quote from EVERYONE.*

Seriously...call every one of them. When you get a lower number with the 2nd phone call, start the 3rd phone call with "#2 got me a quote at xxx a month, and I was wondering if you could do lower." Then call #4 and say "#3 said they could get me a quote at xxx and I've called #1 and #2 also, if you guys could beat them that would be great." and just competitively knock them all down until you have the lowest.

Edit: I purchased the car a little under 3 months ago. So it was used, didn't buy it new. Just so you don't get the wrong idea lol.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I pay $102/mo for full coverage on my 16 ST3, but that is on a family plan, with multicar discount under my name, and combined home and auto because of renters insurance.
$70/mo for full coverage on my Lightning

·
Registered
312 Posts
One thing is clear, no one on this site can give you an accurate indicator of what YOUR insurance will cost, there are just too many variables. Your best bet is to get as many quotes as possible and eventually they will coalesce around a range. I pay $43/mo for my ST3 (250/500/100) with $1000 deductible, but I have three cars, a motorcycle, home owners, and umbrella insurance all with the same company (Progressive). I have ZERO claims for the last 10 years, a 780 FICO score, and my wife and I are past 50 yo. That is probably the floor for insurance, but the sky is the limit. Can you get on your parents policy, that will normally help. Shop.....shop.....shop.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I pay $102/ month for full coverage on my 13 ST & wifes 15 Nissan Sentra. $500 deductible. We are through progressive.

No accidents on record and my 73 in a 65 zone ticket dropped off in August.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts