Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Installing lowering springs, need some help!

7K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  merlin504 
#1 ·
So I am installing H&R lowering springs on my 2016 ST. I got the top nuts loose, Wheel speed sensor disconnected, brake line removed from the strut and the bolt in the lower control arm out that presses against the strut.

But I am having an issue removing the ABS bracket that the end link connects too. There is just a nut on the front side of but there is nothing on the back side to put a wrench on and the nut just keeps turning. I have tried multiple wrenches, pry bars and screw drivers in an attempt to stop the threads from spinning when I turn the nut.

I know there are people that have installed springs on a 15'-16'. How did you get this nut off so I can take the ABS bracket off the strut?

#2 ·

There should be a spot to slide in a wrench. Around the 3:40 mark.

Reactions: justindeboosted
#3 ·
Yeah I have watched that video about 30 times. There appears to be a nut on the backside for the 13-14 but not the 15-16. I pulled the boot back on the control arm and there is nothing there.

#4 ·
Sorry. I didn't think this changed between the years. If I didn't live in cold weather I would pop a wheel of my 16 and check it out.

#9 ·
So I went back out to the car and pulled the boot further back, still couldn't find anything to put a wrench on. I ended up taking a allen socket and a open ended wrench and ended up getting it off.

Thanks guys.

Reactions: jam360nml
#13 ·
I looked again, but I still didn't see a nut. I was to the point of tearing the boot pulling it backwards and nothing. But I was able to loosen them with an allen head and a wrench and then use a set of channel locks on the back side and use a socket on the front.

Not ideal but both struts are currently out, I will be swapping the springs tomorrow and then installing them. The rears have already been finished.

Reactions: justindeboosted
#15 ·
Oh well lol It's done now, car is back on the road.

#18 ·
Got around to installing my springs today. To confirm. There isn’t always something on the backside for a socket or wrench on a 2016. I too cut the dust cover off and had to use channel locks because the Allen key was stripping. I put the channel locks on the silver part by the arrow and it worked very well. I know this is an old thread but it was definitely helpful today.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.