Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here installed the CP-E 5.5" FMIC? I haven't found an example out there on the install of this particular FMIC. But anyways, it use the STOCK mounting locations - therefore not requiring any drilling (like the COBB and some others).

BUT this 5.5" intercooler is a big, heavy beast! I am finding it hard to believe that the stock mounts are going to hold this thing without breaking over time - hitting rough roads, etc.. See my photos - I tried to show my concerns as best I could.

The two bottom factory mount points are just plastic tabs. The two upper mount points are plastic "hangers" that appear to not bare any of the weight, but only prevent forward/reverse movement! So it seems all the weight of this thing comes to the two small bottom tabs!

Has anyone had this intercooler on their car for a while without any issues with the mounts breaking?

BOTTOM MOUNTING TABS
20170325_084903.jpg

UPPER
20170325_084918.jpg

·
Registered
201 Posts
Had mine in for about 5 months. If you get the mounting brackets tight enough on the hangers to prevent movement and locktite the bolts you should be fine. The plastic plate on the bottom of the front bumper cover is so close to the intercooler I think that it might actually support it from the bottom. Don't quote me on that but it's just a thought. I had a b!tch of a time putting that back on. No issues so far and our roads are..... Well not perfect.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll finish the install today as planned.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've had mine on for a few months with no issues. I too was worried about the weight, but between the mounting tabs, hooks and weight on the pipes I don'r suspect the extra weight is a major issue.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know this is an old post but I've had my CPE INTERCOOLER mounted for the last few months. Done some very high speed runs , hard
canyon carving and every thing has stayed in its place. I live in AZ where ambient temps can be over 117 degrees . This thing is BOSS.
I've used it pretty hard by now and I am very happy with it. And the mounting is very sturdy once locked down. I just didn't seem right at the time of install. But it works!

Reactions: UnfocusedST

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just purchased this FMIC and was wondering if anyone had some tips or lessons learned. starting install 7/20/2018. any advice is greatly appreciated

1 - 11 of 11 Posts