Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed Vanity lights LED Cool White (6000K) SMF2 (16 lumens) on my 2016 st.
I have to say these bulbs are super bright compared to stock bulbs.
Installation is very easy, just pop off the cover and replace the bulb.
To me one of these bulbs are brighter than both of the dome lights turned on.
Diode Dynamics definitely knows how to make bulbs right. :smile:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Got a link? I was thinking about replacing these the other day when my wife was using the vanity mirror.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yeah they can make some bulbs. Hey Diode how about a package that would include LED's for interior bulbs on 2015's. Vanity, dome, trunk, etc. I would buy it just not sure what bulbs I need. That way we get all the bulbs at once.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reactions: psilynt

·
Banned
7,049 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just saying...If I sold bulbs for cars I would have complete interior kits for models that bring a lot of business. ecstuning does stuff like that. had a great kit for my S4.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Yeah they can make some bulbs. Hey Diode how about a package that would include LED's for interior bulbs on 2015's. Vanity, dome, trunk, etc. I would buy it just not sure what bulbs I need. That way we get all the bulbs at once.
maybe I need to inspect my car better but my dome lights are already led, so really just vanity lights and maybe trunk? that wouldn't be much of a kit

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have an ST3 not sure that it would make a difference. I also haven't pulled off the cover but the light has an orange tint and not especially bright, so I am assuming its not LED.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
I have an ST3 not sure that it would make a difference. I also haven't pulled off the cover but the light has an orange tint and not especially bright, so I am assuming its not LED.
which cover on the dome light? all the st3 lights inside front are led... the trunk is like a 194 type halogen.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just saying...If I sold bulbs for cars I would have complete interior kits for models that bring a lot of business. ecstuning does stuff like that. had a great kit for my S4.
Well it could be up to 5 bulbs. The point would be you get quality bulbs from a great company that you know will work on the car in each spot. If you go to their site they don't have bulbs for 2015 and up other than the Fog Lights specifically listed for our car.

·
Registered
222 Posts
which cover on the dome light? all the st3 lights inside front are led... the trunk is like a 194 type halogen.
Didn't know the Dome was LED, figured it wasn't because Diode does sell LED dome lights for 12-14's and they hadn't gotten one for the 15 yet. I guess I am just used to the LED's with the slightly bluish hue.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If you have an ST3 the domes are LED (very dim), but the LED is on the board it's self. Nothing to take out unless you plan on soldering. I remember some trying to replace the ST3 domes with ST1/2 because they have a similar plug. I don't remember the specifics if they got it functional, but it maybe worth looking into if you really want to upgrade the interior.

Sent from Samsung Smart Refrigerator

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
Didn't know the Dome was LED, figured it wasn't because Diode does sell LED dome lights for 12-14's and they hadn't gotten one for the 15 yet. I guess I am just used to the LED's with the slightly bluish hue.
the hue has nothing to do with it being led or not.. you can get almost any hue of white into blue obviously. a 4000k ish led will look almost just like a halogen ugly and yellow. I prefer a 5000k which is white with just a tiny tniny hint of blue.. but mainly pure white. a 6000k is a blueish white. 8000k is a really blue white.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I am not that worried about the Dome I usually keep it in the off setting. The vanity lights are terrible, my wife tried to use them the other day. Well call me stupid, haha. A kit would not be applicable to this car. The S4 had a kit with 12 bulbs and you ended up getting a much better deal than buying all of them individual.

·
Registered
379 Posts
maybe I need to inspect my car better but my dome lights are already led, so really just vanity lights and maybe trunk? that wouldn't be much of a kit
If you have an ST3 the domes are LED (very dim), but the LED is on the board it's self. Nothing to take out unless you plan on soldering. I remember some trying to replace the ST3 domes with ST1/2 because they have a similar plug. I don't remember the specifics if they got it functional, but it maybe worth looking into if you really want to upgrade the interior.

Actually, it doesn't matter whether you have ST1, ST2 or ST3. It's whether you have a moonroof that determines whether you have LED or not. Moonroof models have LED dome lights, non-moonroof models have halogens.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Actually, it doesn't matter whether you have ST1, ST2 or ST3. It's whether you have a moonroof that determines whether you have LED or not. Moonroof models have LED dome lights, non-moonroof models have halogens.
Sorry for missinforming, you are correct. That's what I get for posting before my morning coffee.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the tip. I am not that worried about the Dome I usually keep it in the off setting. The vanity lights are terrible, my wife tried to use them the other day. Well call me stupid, haha. A kit would not be applicable to this car. The S4 had a kit with 12 bulbs and you ended up getting a much better deal than buying all of them individual.
My wife said the same thing about the vanity lights. Now im thinking of replacing dome halogen light bulbs with onces from diode dynamics.

Reactions: jxp4343

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'd actually recommend the 28mm SMF1 for the vanity light, not the SMF2. The issue with the SMF2 is that it's TOO bright in my opinion since it has 2 LEDs instead of 1. Since the vanity light shines directly at your face, it ends up being blinding and hurts your eyes when you look at the mirror at night. The SMF1 is slightly brighter than the stock halogen and has a nice white color.
28mm SMF1 LED (one) - 28mm Fuse - LED Bulbs - All Products

Here is a comparison between the stock halogen and SMF1 6000k. It's hard to see the brightness difference, but you can tell by looking at the bottom of the mirror cover, you can see that the LED has more light there. Both photos were taken with the exact same camera exposure using manual settings.
IMG_7581.JPG
IMG_7584.JPG

1 - 20 of 35 Posts