Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, after reading many different articles and talking with people about the GDI motors I decided to install a catch can on my 2017 ST. I went with the McNally Electronics brand (RX Speedworks). Hopefully doing this will reduce the amount of carbon build up on the valves. My car only has a little over 1900 miles on it and I was shocked at the gunk already forming on the valves. You would think manufactures would install a catch can at the factory, but that's a different soap box. I also learned that the 2017 ST is a little different than the 2016 on back. The oil cap is slightly different and the hose going from the valve cover to the turbo inlet is different. This means the hose adapter from RX will not work on the new Focus ST but the 1/2" hose will slide on the small end of the factory hose so it's not a huge deal for right now. The first cylinder and last had the most build up of gunk as you can see in the pictures.
20170625_161050[1].jpg
20170625_161126[1].jpg
20170625_162139[1].jpg
20170626_192339[1].jpg
20170626_203233[1].jpg
20170626_210523[1].jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
What size hose did you use? Or better yet. What size is the hose that comes in the car to connect with the occ? I just got my OCC going to install Saturday. And need a better hose than the one provided.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The kit comes with 1/2" Gates Barricade hose, and plenty of it. Depending on how you route the hoses, be mindful that the hose will kink if bent too much. That's the problem I had with the line on the left side of the can going to the back of the intake. I ended up using a piece of 90 degree premolded hose coming off the can and then the valve and straight hose after that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Going to tackle mine tonight.

I read somewhere the lines are 3/8 ... not a big deal plenty of local napa type stores near me if I have to jump threw hoops

The kit comes with 1/2" Gates Barricade hose, and plenty of it. Depending on how you route the hoses, be mindful that the hose will kink if bent too much. That's the problem I had with the line on the left side of the can going to the back of the intake. I ended up using a piece of 90 degree premolded hose coming off the can and then the valve and straight hose after that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I clearly see you have one dirty line in Center, then two lines going back into the intake and one to the air inlet. How did you Tie in your valve cover to the dirty side ? it should be T'ed in to the center dirty side with a check valve.

OR you are not filtering the vapor from your valve cover ?

View attachment 252889 [/quote]

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
677 Posts
Are these OCC's really necessary? My neighbor who has an STI told me to get one, but be warned, that they are illegal and u cannot dispose of the waste. Being that I cannot dispose of it, nor do I have an open space to burn it, I havent bought an OCC. There shouldnt be significant engine damage from not having one, the car was designed to run without it wasnt it? I understand they help, but where I live and in my current situation, the risks outweigh the benefits. Unless one of you fine gentlemen could convince me otherwise that I shouldnt live without one that is.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Are these OCC's really necessary? My neighbor who has an STI told me to get one, but be warned, that they are illegal and u cannot dispose of the waste. Being that I cannot dispose of it, nor do I have an open space to burn it, I havent bought an OCC. There shouldnt be significant engine damage from not having one, the car was designed to run without it wasnt it? I understand they help, but where I live and in my current situation, the risks outweigh the benefits. Unless one of you fine gentlemen could convince me otherwise that I shouldnt live without one that is.
lol wtf

commiefornia I guess.

you can take what you drain out of an occ to any autoparts store that recycles oil and give it to them

·
Registered
331 Posts
So this has me curious... What do you do with your old oil after an oil change? Or do you just not change it? No offense but your neighbor sounds like an idiot.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Installed my first "mod" a few days ago.

So this has me curious... What do you do with your old oil after an oil change? Or do you just not change it? No offense but your neighbor sounds like an idiot.
Here in Commiefornia we dump it back into the ground from which it came lol.. but seriously just take it to vatozone, they love used oil so much i bring them 20-30gal twice a year haha..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
So, after reading many different articles and talking with people about the GDI motors I decided to install a catch can on my 2017 ST. I went with the McNally Electronics brand (RX Speedworks). Hopefully doing this will reduce the amount of carbon build up on the valves. My car only has a little over 1900 miles on it and I was shocked at the gunk already forming on the valves. You would think manufactures would install a catch can at the factory, but that's a different soap box. I also learned that the 2017 ST is a little different than the 2016 on back. The oil cap is slightly different and the hose going from the valve cover to the turbo inlet is different. This means the hose adapter from RX will not work on the new Focus ST but the 1/2" hose will slide on the small end of the factory hose so it's not a huge deal for right now. The first cylinder and last had the most build up of gunk as you can see in the pictures.
View attachment 252857
View attachment 252897
View attachment 252865
View attachment 252873
View attachment 252881
View attachment 252889
link for the catch can you used?

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
677 Posts
The oil in the catch can is mixed with gasoline isnt it? He said the point of these things was to stop turbo cars burning oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
677 Posts
The oil in the catch can is mixed with gasoline isnt it? He said the point of these things was to stop turbo cars burning oil.

He said because it is mixed with gas, oil disposal places wont take it. And that is why the mod is illegal.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oil is mixed with gas to some extent in all cars waste oil They're all hydrocarbons. My OCC waste goes in with my oil changes. I never had an attendant at the autoparts place even smell my oil much less refuse to take it. I live in So Cal too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
677 Posts
Oil is mixed with gas to some extent in all cars waste oil They're all hydrocarbons. My OCC waste goes in with my oil changes. I never had an attendant at the autoparts place even smell my oil much less refuse to take it. I live in So Cal too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
hm.. Then I may look into getting one of these in the near future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts