Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So first off, I'm pretty new to the forum here so any advice regarding proper use of the forums would be appreciated.

In summary, I have a 2015 Focus ST2 with about 8k miles.

About 3 weeks ago the CEL came on. Autozone tells me its a misfire code (P0300 I think?)

I bring it to ford, and after changing spark plugs and fuel injectors they tell me that their Ford engineering hotline (or whatever it is) tells them its a valve issue that must have occurred during production, and now they are replacing the head, camshafts, valves, and all associated parts.

Has anyone had this or a similar issue? I was being patient until they told me that the camshafts are on backorder and can take at least 10 more days (they've had the car for 2 weeks already). I can't help but feel like I'm getting screwed and that they are trying to just force my hand in keeping what may be a lemon.

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I would love if you would keep us informed on what ends up happening.. I get P0300 every now and then. only on start up and I have been told it is a "non-issue" tell it happens while driving.

I think I might be taking it to the dealer the next time I get this code. Would like to know what they come up for my car or if they replace half the motor as well.

I have 24k on the car and it is strong or so I thought tell about 4k ago I started getting this CEL only happened twice and only on start-up.

Thanks for posting this bit of information ;) I might end up asking what dealer you go to and who at Ford you or your dealer talked to.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello all,

So first off, I'm pretty new to the forum here so any advice regarding proper use of the forums would be appreciated.

About 3 weeks ago the CEL came on. Autozone tells me its a misfire code (P0300 I think?)

I bring it to ford, and after changing spark plugs and fuel injectors they tell me that their Ford engineering hotline (or whatever it is) tells them its a valve issue that must have occurred during production, and now they are replacing the head, camshafts, valves, and all associated parts.

Has anyone had this or a similar issue? I was being patient until they told me that the camshafts are on backorder and can take at least 10 more days (they've had the car for 2 weeks already). I can't help but feel like I'm getting screwed and that they are trying to just force my hand in keeping what may be a lemon.
You're not getting screwed on purpose. They just don't know what's wrong with the car so the're trowing parts at it. Believe me, no Ford dealer wants to look at a service car any longer than they have to. As far as the back order goes, I work at a Ford dealer and Backordered parts are a weekly occurrence so it doesn't sound too out of the ordinary. 10 days is nothing, I've had to wait 9 months for parts before, Ford sucks when it comes to supplying necessary parts. Like I said, they want to get rid of the car as soon as possible, the longer it sits there the closer it gets to qualifying as a lemon and no manufacturer likes to be forced to buy back a car.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Hello all,

is this your first issue? How can you say its a lemon? Mechanical parts fail, sometimes sooner than expected. You have 8k miles on the car, and its covered under warranty. They're replacing everything for free.... so i'm not sure what youre so upset about?

P0300 is a random misfire.. the last number "0" tells you which cylinder is misfiring. Since 0 is not a cylinder, it could mean literally anything that could cause a misfire is the problem.

Hardly a lemon. Ford is doing the right thing. The dealer has zero control over part availability. No one is screwing you. I had to wait three months for a part once, and i work for the dealer. Just how it goes sometimes.

For all the work they are doing, 1 months down time is typically normal. They don't keep Focus ST Camshafts on the shelves...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reassurance. I'll be sure to keep you posted on the details.

As far as the lemon law goes, 4 attempted repairs for 1 problem or 30 cumulative days out of service for repair can classify it as a lemon. I believe that its unfair to include the 10 days for backordered parts as cumulative days out of service. But considering the head rebuild is repair attempt number 3 I think its fair to want to mention such a law.

At this point, I contacted Ford to mention this and see if I can get an extended warranty when all is said and done.

Will update! Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts

As far as the lemon law goes, 4 attempted repairs for 1 problem or 30 cumulative days out of service for repair can classify it as a lemon. I believe that its unfair to include the 10 days for backordered parts as cumulative days out of service. But considering the head rebuild is repair attempt number 3 I think its fair to want to mention such a law.

At this point, I contacted Ford to mention this and see if I can get an extended warranty when all is said and done.

As stated above. Post in this thread http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-discussions/41024-check-engine-light-code-says-misfire-can-t-get-service.html

A LOT of us having been going through this...

·
Registered
2,973 Posts

Pretty sure it has to be 4 attempted repairs on the same part. I.E 4 attempts to repair the head or 4 attempts to repair injectors.

Considering P0300 is random, it may not be 1 problem. If it was P0302 and got it 4 times, i would agree.

But yea, 63 pages over there dealing with it..go start reading

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't know what the policy is down in the US, but up here, a lot of dealership, not just Ford, don't pay their techs diagnostic time for warranty work. a lot of times they'll just throw parts at it instead of checking to see where the problems lies

1 - 10 of 10 Posts