Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on a 2.0l EcoBoost Kuga, but the ST seems pretty much the same in this area. There's little to no info on any Kuga/ Escape forums on this happening.

I was installing lowering springs and managed to dislodge the right inner CV joint. It seems to be a relatively common thing on the Focus platform; most people seem to say you can rotate the shaft and with a bit of wiggling around it will re-seat itself. That hasn't worked for me.

I've got the CV boot pulled back and can see everything looks okay (tripod, roller bearings and cup) but the tripod and roller bearings won't slide back into the cup. The lower ball joint and steering tie rod are still attached to the hub, the strut is removed. Does the joint need to be lined up square in order for it to slide back in? At the moment everything is on a slight angle due to the tie rod and lower ball joint restricting movement.

Searching around the net watching videos etc it seems like that sort of CV joint should just slide into the cup easily. I don't want to disassemble more than I have to, but I'm guessing trying to slide it back in on a slight angle is the issue?

Any help/ suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, checking some pictures I took there are indeed pairs of punch marks on each side of where the roller needs to be reinserted. :crying:

Damn you Ford and thank-you to all those Youtube videos instructing to push hard down on the hub to separate the strut. That's how I ended up in is this mess.

The strut definitely requires compressing to remove it (even the factory workshop manual doesn't say to compress it.)

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
I'm now wondering if this is my problem- that the joint is not designed to come apart/ be reassembled. Inner CV joint reassembly problem

From above thread

I'm finding the same sort of problem with the rollers appearing to be too big in diameter for the "cup".
From looking at the photo I would say that you are correct, this piece is not designed to come apart. Looks as if it could be forced back together, but I would not trust it after that. Compressing the spring would make removal/installation easier, but I was able to remove and install my struts to lower the car without incident. Could be design differences between the two vehicles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At least I know now why I've been head butting a brick wall trying to reinsert the tripod/ roller assembly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts