Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just added a Kicker 12 that's getting 500W, and as I suspected, the highs (that were already terrible) are being drowned out. I am trying to decide between the Infinity Primus and Kappas. I wanted to get some input from everyone on whether I should spend the extra bucks and get the Kappas, or go with the Primus. Here are my thoughts so far:

Kappas: Expensive, from what I gathered on here they are much easier to install, keeping the car a while so maybe invest now?

Primus: About a 1/3 the cost of the Kappas, still a great upgrade over factory

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
If you are keeping her for a while, do it up the first time, and spend the bucks. Just some advice from experience, the factory amp pushing them will not be enough to balance with that new sub, you will need more power and another LOC. Tried it myself, hated it. Also, did you delete the center channel in the dash? It cleans up the front stage separation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not looking to run another amp anytime soon, so I guess the primus might be my best bet for the time being.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I picked up the Primus and got them installed over the weekend. Not sure what the issue is, but like the stock speakers, I can turn them all the way up and it still isn't loud. I'm not really wowed by these at all. Guessing I need to amp them maybe? Any 4 channel amp suggestions and or specs to be on the lookout for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reactions: DDT1972

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Well, I picked up the Primus and got them installed over the weekend. Not sure what the issue is, but like the stock speakers, I can turn them all the way up and it still isn't loud. I'm not really wowed by these at all. Guessing I need to amp them maybe? Any 4 channel amp suggestions and or specs to be on the lookout for?

Kinda figured that...lol.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kinda figured that...lol.

Well, I was hoping with the switch to 3ohm and the speakers being better quality, I could live with it. I probably could, but I don't want to guess.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Here is a good 5-CH to push anything loud enough to make you deaf. My current setup.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Had a Kenwood 5-CH in there before, also good enough for most 8" or 10" sub and all mid/high choices.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Well, I was hoping with the switch to 3ohm and the speakers being better quality, I could live with it. I probably could, but I don't want to guess.

The whole 3ohm rating is more a fools errand with no real world gains. Resistance is not fixed and changes with frequency as well as temperature. The promised gain of more power disappears in The moment a signal appears. This is why there are zobel networks...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is going to be a stupid question, but if I was to put in a small Alpine amp, am I adding that RMS wattage to the wattage the stock amp puts out or am I bypassing the stock amp completely? I've been looking at an Alpine 4 channel that puts out 45 watts x 4 at 4 ohms.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
This is going to be a stupid question, but if I was to put in a small Alpine amp, am I adding that RMS wattage to the wattage the stock amp puts out or am I bypassing the stock amp completely? I've been looking at an Alpine 4 channel that puts out 45 watts x 4 at 4 ohms.

The Alpine amp would NOT add to the Sony wattage, you would be replacing that wattage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts