Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yes. The Indy 500s apparently are solid performing (but not top-tier) summer tires for warm climates and used to be bargain priced. But at their current cost, there are better tires near that price point. Based on way too much time researching, the PS4S not only sets the bar all-around, but also hooks up better at lower temperatures than other summer tires. For me, the only reason I'm getting summer tires is that I'd like to actually see how well the car can accelerate in the first two gears and corner without (unintended) drifting. The latter has been a limitation going up and down the local canyons such as Golden Gate. Going uphill, the 'Torque Vectoring Control' can't prevent understeer with A/S tires and I've had oversteer both downhill and unexpectedly uphill at times. While the PS A/S4 and BFG Comp2 A/S+ seem to be as good as it gets with A/S tires, and apparently perform as well as many summer tires, the PS4S sets the standard to shoot for.

And as I've previously whined about, I'm only going to buy summer tires that are functional down to at least 32F since we have these morning temperatures > 7 months per year. And from what I've been able to find out, the PS4S hooks up better than typical at low temps. I have AWD/4WD vehicles for snow and we rarely get enough rain here to cause aquaplaning. Admittedly, just my opinion...
Well I checked on Costco's site several times and finally called them up on the PS4S since they kept showing out of stock. The guy said there was a national backorder... Since I'm down to the "there's not much tread left at all" level on the stock tires, it was time to get something. Found that Firestone had a $60 per set rebate on the Indy 500's for the next couple weeks, so I'll be getting a set of those mounted up tomorrow morning and ditching the stock F1s for good.

I seriously considered the PS4S tires, but with no discount, constantly being out of stock, and with the cost being close to $1K by the time installation and taxes were figured in, I just had to do something else. The reviews/testimonials for the 500s are pretty good, and for what I'm doing they'll probably be fine. I'm not that hard on tires. Heck, the previous owner burnt off 3-4/32nds of the F1s in the first 7000 miles of the car's life and it took me another 20,065 miles (so far) to burn off another 3-4/32nds from them. So, 27K+ miles on the stock F1s and they still have 3-4/32nds left isn't too bad... for a 240 treadwear tire, anyway.

I'll let you guys know how it goes, but I'm looking forward to them.

Reactions: beretta96

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Was supposed to get the tires this morning, but instead I'll have to wait... They ordered the A/S units, even though I gave them the right info on the order form. So, now I have to wait until Wednesday. Guy said they'd knock $100 off the total since they screwed up, though, so I can deal with that.

Reactions: k1rby37

·
Registered
275 Posts
Seems to me like tire sellers want u to buy a/s, like summer tires will kill u. I don't think they would have given u summers if u ordered a/s.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Eagle Summer F1's have been priced really good at ~$150 plus a manufacture rebate bringing it down to ~$500 set of 4.

·
Registered
451 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Finally got the 500s on this afternoon and got a pretty good deal. They're running a sale this week, so that was $100 off a set of 4, and then they knocked off another $100 since they ordered the wrong tires last week and I had to wait. I'll also be getting another $60 back in a visa card. Total after taxes, installation, and the discounts.. $676.04.

The 500s are a LOT less harsh than the F1s were... Holy cow. I felt every crack in the road with the old tires. These things are so much smoother. Hope they hold the road well and still last a decent # of miles.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Initial driving impression this morning is that they make for a much better ride than the old F1s. Main things I noticed: 1) I don't have to keep the radio as nearly as loud since their road noise is much better than the F1s. Kept it at 8 on the dial the whole way. 2) I did't feel every freaking pebble/crack/seam in the road like I did with the F1s. There's one particular bridge seam that's always awful to drive over, and today it wasn't bad at all.

They may not corner as well as the F1s due to the less-stiff sidewall, but they are definitely a better ride for the commute.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Initial driving impression this morning is that they make for a much better ride than the old F1s. Main things I noticed: 1) I don't have to keep the radio as nearly as loud since their road noise is much better than the F1s. Kept it at 8 on the dial the whole way. 2) I did't feel every freaking pebble/crack/seam in the road like I did with the F1s. There's one particular bridge seam that's always awful to drive over, and today it wasn't bad at all.

They may not corner as well as the F1s due to the less-stiff sidewall, but they are definitely a better ride for the commute.

different tire classes = different characteristics: max performance (Eagle F1, PS4S) vs UHP (Firehawk 500,)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts