Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what kind of mileage you're getting out of these. Trying to do a cost/mile analysis of these tires, Pilot 4S, and Falken 510s, and just trying to get some real-world numbers of what folks are getting. I'm pretty easy on tires and I would expect them to go longer than "normal". For instance, my stock F1s have almost 25K miles on them. 7K of that the previous owner burnt off in the first 3/32nds, and I've put almost 18K on them and the treadwear's only gone down another 3/32nd leaving 4/32nds left.

Just need something that'll handle the torque the WMI-tune is going to be producing without the awful launch characteristics of the F1s.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,777 Posts
I have the latest Indy 500 Summer Tires on now. Here in the heat and coarse road surfaces in South Florida I don't expect more than 25,000 out of them and I drive pretty conservatively too (and I rotate every 5,000 or so)

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,777 Posts
Just to add some context to this - these new Indy 500s went on Jan 1st, 2021 at 117,444 miles. The previous set were Bridgestone Potenza Summers and they went on at 105,512. I could probably have pushed them a little further, but they were pretty much at or near the wear bars all round - and the wear was totally even across the tires - even the tire fitter remarked on how even they were!. The set before that (also Potenzas) went on at 87,556. So, even 25,000 on a set is probably optimistic for me...... :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the latest Indy 500 Summer Tires on now. Here in the heat and coarse road surfaces in South Florida I don't expect more than 25,000 out of them and I drive pretty conservatively too (and I rotate every 5,000 or so)
Thanks for the reply.. Here in CO we have several weeks in the late summer that it gets to 95+ with single digit humidity (rarely over 105), but most of the year it's pretty comfortable. Consequently, I don't think the tires will get torn up too much from the heat. The roads are honestly not that great here, either, but I've driven in Florida and they're rougher than they are here, for sure.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,777 Posts
Thanks for the reply.. Here in CO we have several weeks in the late summer that it gets to 95+ with single digit humidity (rarely over 105), but most of the year it's pretty comfortable. Consequently, I don't think the tires will get torn up too much from the heat. The roads are honestly not that great here, either, but I've driven in Florida and they're rougher than they are here, for sure.
Well I expect you can’t get away with a Summer tire all year round there either …..? Are you looking at Indy 500 All Seasons?

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I expect you can’t get away with a Summer tire all year round there either …..? Are you looking at Indy 500 All Seasons?
Nope, I've got a set of snow tires (215/50/17's) and then the summers (235/40/18 on the stock snowflakes). All seasons don't do anything well, and since I can swap the tires in about 20 minutes I just do that when I have to.

Reactions: StanE

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,777 Posts
Nope, I've got a set of snow tires (215/50/17's) and then the summers (235/40/18 on the stock snowflakes). All seasons don't do anything well, and since I can swap the tires in about 20 minutes I just do that when I have to.
That is the sensible and correct way to do things! (y) (y)

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had them on my old rims and sold the setup after less than 1,000 miles. My only complaint about them is how soft the sidewall was compared to a higher end tire like PS or Potenza. They feel a bit squishy compared to a top tier UHP tire. I do think they are great value for the $ and even though they are not as sharp as the other tires I mentioned they grip real well.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Great tire.Went through 2 sets , a little over 30k miles each set. I ran a jbr rsb, that I think made tires last better when on front. It oversteered more than it understeered.Rotated x pattern every 5k miles. Great tire

·
Registered
62 Posts
rob99rt: If you haven't purchased new summer tires yet, PS4S are a good deal thru Sunday at Discount Tire. I paid $174 each after the $110 instant discount and $30 for using the Discount Tire card.

I live in Denver too, where mornings are cold > 6 months of the year. As you probably know, the PS4S has not only outstanding traction in general, but also retains decent traction even at lower temperatures. As gemery has noted, the PS4S hooked up great at 45 F in autocross. There's a YouTube video of a guy with a GT350 running them at 23 F and still having decent traction.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, looks like I missed the sale :(

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So you'd go with the ps4s over the Indy 500s?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes. The Indy 500s apparently are solid performing (but not top-tier) summer tires for warm climates and used to be bargain priced. But at their current cost, there are better tires near that price point. Based on way too much time researching, the PS4S not only sets the bar all-around, but also hooks up better at lower temperatures than other summer tires. For me, the only reason I'm getting summer tires is that I'd like to actually see how well the car can accelerate in the first two gears and corner without (unintended) drifting. The latter has been a limitation going up and down the local canyons such as Golden Gate. Going uphill, the 'Torque Vectoring Control' can't prevent understeer with A/S tires and I've had oversteer both downhill and unexpectedly uphill at times. While the PS A/S4 and BFG Comp2 A/S+ seem to be as good as it gets with A/S tires, and apparently perform as well as many summer tires, the PS4S sets the standard to shoot for.

And as I've previously whined about, I'm only going to buy summer tires that are functional down to at least 32F since we have these morning temperatures > 7 months per year. And from what I've been able to find out, the PS4S hooks up better than typical at low temps. I have AWD/4WD vehicles for snow and we rarely get enough rain here to cause aquaplaning. Admittedly, just my opinion...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Bought kuhmo grugen 265-70-16 tires to replace the Michelin ltx on Mom's Tacoma.I like the kuhmos better and they were over $50 per tire cheaper.I think their are better,cheaper options than Michelin.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would give General G-Max a look for summer performance. Likely a slight reduction in performance (dry) but better wet. They get very good marks on TR (again, nearly as good as the indys). and a nice rebate whereas no rebate for indys

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bought kuhmo grugen 265-70-16 tires to replace the Michelin ltx on Mom's Tacoma.I like the kuhmos better and they were over $50 per tire cheaper.I think their are better,cheaper options than Michelin.
In 45 years of buying tires, this is only the second set of Michelins purchased. The other set were Pilot Alpin 3. I'm not brand loyal. Strangely, I never bought a Ford until our '08 Expedition EL, and now I own three Fords. But each vehicle was chosen on its own merits for the intended service and beat out the competitive options. My choice of PS4S was chosen similarly...

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
288 Posts
I would give General G-Max a look for summer performance. Likely a slight reduction in performance (dry) but better wet. They get very good marks on TR (again, nearly as good as the indys). and a nice rebate whereas no rebate for indys
I've been looking at those as well... The price is definitely right. They are my preferred snow tire for sure. Also a great price and I like them better than Nokians.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts