Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.
I am a former owner of an EB Mustang, which I sold after a year because for me it didn't worth the money. But I love Fords, I can't afford an RS so I found a very good priced FoST, so I decided to read about it. Car will be DD, a lot of times at low speed in traffic.
Granted, compared to VAG, the EB is much harder to modify, but between a GTI7 or a FoST is like 5-6k Euro and I'd rather mod the Focus.
Here is Europe we usually talk bhp, not whp. When I dyno-ed the 310 hp Mustang I got 280 whp. So I'll take 30 hp loss between crank and wheel for the discussion.
What I loved about the Mustang was the sound(after getting a proper exhaust). The 2.3 stroker kit seems to be a good solution to go that way. I wanted forged internals anyway, and the price difference is worth it.
The GTX2867r was always my go to turbo, but I want at least 420 whp, and I saw it can't cope with it, but I haven't found a 2.3 stroker kit and 2867r, only stock engines.
I don't have Exx, just allegedly 100 RON(but I doubt it's a true 100, maybe 98-99). I will add aux fuel.
Please imagine I will do all supporting mods and not skimp(I was even thinking about darton sleeves, but I don't really want to hit 480-500 whp at start, so if the block can stay cool at 420 whp, I'll skip it).

So:
- is the 2.3 stroker realiable on long term?
- using a fast spool GTX2867r with the "big" engine can mess up even forged rods on long term?
- I stumbled upon the Boomba port injection plate(even others, but this one caught my eye). Can I use stock injectors for the aux, or should I go bigger? So, can I use 8 stock injectors(2 per cylinder) to get those numbers?
- I haven't found any EFR in Europe for the FoST. The biggest GTX is 3071r. I read a lot of people recommending EFR. Can I just buy a regular EFR68-71 and make a custom turbo flange?
- I usually go Revo when it comes to tuning, but this FoST will be going away from the regular path, so I might need a private tuner. I am familiar only with Adam(from Mustang platform), what other GOOD tuners do remote tuning(COBB AP I guess)?

My friend has an EB Mustang, forged internals, big turbo, darton sleeves and he cracked the engine... He was he's losing coolant and saw there is a fissure in the engine... I can't imagine building a proper engine and getting it cracked. I'm guessing the tuning was the issue, so that's why I want a very good tuner.

Thanks for reading this wall of text and for the help.

PS: I also love the looks on the FiST and I think going big turbo on it looks tons of fun. Do you think it's a safer platform to 350-370 whp?

·
Registered
613 Posts
-I'm not real smart on the engine build, 2.0 vs 2.3 specifics. If I were building up I would be looking at the extra costs of going to the 2.3L and determine if it was 'worth it'.
-Like you alluded to towards the end of your post, a crappy tune can easily mess up even a forged motor. Using forged engine will increase that safety margin and generally make it last longer.
-Several companies make port injection kits... 2 port pre throttle body or 4 port between the head and intake manifold. I haven't ran one, but I would much prefer the 4 port to make sure equal fuel is getting to all cylinders. In these kits you run traditional port injection injectors and tune accordingly. How big of ones you run would depend on your power goals. Great question for your tuner.
-EFR is definitely an option, but aren't compatible with most other aftermarket parts, which is why they aren't as popular on the platform. Most guys buy bolt on parts, then go big turbo and don't want to sell off the parts they have and re-buy downpipe/intake/charge pipes etc. Full Race and Mountune make full kits. You can DIY to some extent and piece together some full race parts or make your own if that's an option.
-Ecoboost platform shares a lot of tuning similarity, so a well know ecoboost tuner should be fine. My personal experience, I did remote tuning with Stratified and it was just OK, if you go that route, I would recommend asking for Alex or one of their more experienced guys. At the end I ultimately got a remote tune from Nishan and it was a great experience. We set a time/date, I rented a local dyno for 2 hours, and we got the tune done over email/chat in that time. My car is stock engine GTX2867 for reference.

Think about your goals a little more and guys can probably offer up some more specific recommendations as far as engine build/turbo selection etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
-I'm not real smart on the engine build, 2.0 vs 2.3 specifics. If I were building up I would be looking at the extra costs of going to the 2.3L and determine if it was 'worth it'.
-Like you alluded to towards the end of your post, a crappy tune can easily mess up even a forged motor. Using forged engine will increase that safety margin and generally make it last longer.
-Several companies make port injection kits... 2 port pre throttle body or 4 port between the head and intake manifold. I haven't ran one, but I would much prefer the 4 port to make sure equal fuel is getting to all cylinders. In these kits you run traditional port injection injectors and tune accordingly. How big of ones you run would depend on your power goals. Great question for your tuner.
-EFR is definitely an option, but aren't compatible with most other aftermarket parts, which is why they aren't as popular on the platform. Most guys buy bolt on parts, then go big turbo and don't want to sell off the parts they have and re-buy downpipe/intake/charge pipes etc. Full Race and Mountune make full kits. You can DIY to some extent and piece together some full race parts or make your own if that's an option.
-Ecoboost platform shares a lot of tuning similarity, so a well know ecoboost tuner should be fine. My personal experience, I did remote tuning with Stratified and it was just OK, if you go that route, I would recommend asking for Alex or one of their more experienced guys. At the end I ultimately got a remote tune from Nishan and it was a great experience. We set a time/date, I rented a local dyno for 2 hours, and we got the tune done over email/chat in that time. My car is stock engine GTX2867 for reference.

Think about your goals a little more and guys can probably offer up some more specific recommendations as far as engine build/turbo selection etc.
Thanks for the reply.
Well my goal is 400+ whp with 2.3 stroker kit. I don't like big turbos because of the spool time, no fun in traffic. Hoping I can get away with the 2867r.
I will not race the car at all, I just like modifying. But I do want to make it reliable and not get a crack if I want to overtake someone at 6000 rpm.
The stroker reliability was because the angle of the rod is different and maybe at high rpm might bend it or make it hit the cylinder wall. I'm just thinking the worst of course.
I will do 4 port injection, not throttle.
Regarding Nishan, I saw they tune high powered stroker kit Focus, so they should know some stuff about it.

What results did you get on your GTX2867?

·
Registered
613 Posts
2867 can definitely get you to the 400s...but not high 400s, with enough fuel and octane. The larger 0.86 AR would be a good idea too...but of course, more lag. 400+ with great low end response, your best bet would be EFR 6758 or 7163. I'd get the 7163 if I were building the motor up and such.

My dyno was reading a little funky/high so i don't believe it (it said like 394hp). Realistically I'd say Mid 300s which is about all you can get on 93 octane here. 25psi. Might take it back to a dynojet one day just to see what it makes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd normally say good numbers but I can't get the fact that 7R can make 500+ bhp on hybrid is38, stock fuel and 98 RON octane(93 I think in USA) and the Focus needs "DI+Port+WMI+Jet Fuel A1+3 people to push you from behind". I just got off SpeedPerf thread regarding port injection and someone asked if he can get 450 whp with port injection and only 93 fuel. And he got a "maybe 400 whp" for an answer.
I don't have Exx here(gas station says it has MAXIMUM 5% ethanol content, but that can mean 0.1 or 4.99%...) nor do I want to run Meth for DD. I actually hoped DI and Port with pump gas be enough if I go bigger than 2867R...

On the other hand, my friend's cracked mustang did 430+ whp (if I recall correctly) on stock fuel.
Is USA fuel so different than EU?...

Anyway, thanks for the replies, this fuel thing is the only thing that deters me from the FoST.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Based on all I've seen, 350whp ends up being both a safe fuel volume limit and about where you end at being knock limited on 93 as well. I Think there may be some minor gains to be had with aux fuel w/ pump gas only, but pretty minor, need the volume and octane. I'm with you on the methanol injection.... no thanks. By far the best option is E85, but that may not be an option for you. It's not available around me.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You'll get close with a 2867r and supporting mods on 100 RON, that's about 96 Octane here in the US. I'm running an e35 tune(35% ethanol) and it works out to be about 97 Octane, the tuner you go with is going to be a important choice.

Are you going to be happy with FWD after having RWD is the question I'd be asking myself. I hated how the FWD car reacted after going to big HP and it moved me to get the RS just for the traction, I hope your experience is better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts