Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I don't own an ST yet...but am trying to get my hooks into an ST3 some time in the not-too-distant future. Back in 2004, I bought a brand-new SVT Focus and loved it really really a lot. Then, my husband, who is a total couch potato, and I (who am not), decided to get into Jeeps together in 2011. I was so excited, because this would get him outside and into the mountains that I love. Jeeps are way more expensive than what the SVTF was for me. So I sold Blu to a friend, so I could armor-up, and get bigger tires for, etc., etc. my Wrangler. Now, I'm onto my second Jeep, and I'm over it. I'm selling it, and will occasionally wheel my husband's (which is a total money pit) - I need a car that's fun to drive on the streets again, and that I can autocross. My friend won't sell me my SVT back (ha). I've been lurking on this site for a couple days, reading as much as I can about the STs. A lot has changed since 2004, but I see they are still awesome vehicles, with great reliability. I'm super excited about an Ecoboost. ~50 more HP is going to be fun.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
If you liked your SVT that much, you'll absolutely love the ST, especially if you plan on doing any mods/tuning. It is truly a drivers' car. Good luck with the search and let us know what and when you buy! Good luck.

Reactions: BluGnat

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Bought a 2014 blue ST2 two days ago. There's a lot more bells and whistles on these, holy cow. But it's FUN.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Welcome back to the family!

And Jeep's are a total money pit. The straight six was a great engine but that is about all the good items I can list that has ever come from Jeep's engineering crew.

Reactions: BluGnat

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome back to the family!
The straight six was a great engine but that is about all the good items I can list that has ever come from Jeep's engineering crew.
PFFT! The Pentastar V6 is a much better engine and has a much flatter torqueband, and more torque sooner. Not saying anything bad because most people wouldn't know that besides the true die hard Jeep/Mopar enthusiasts. I can't drive anywhere without seeing 1000 Jeeps on the road here in Colorado old and new lifted and bone stock, perfectly mint and rolling scrap pile. They can't be that bad! I could see it being a money pit because people want to keep upgrading it and just won;t let them go. They call back roads that are difficult to travel on JEEP trails for a reason!

Congrats on your purchase! I've been looking at used ST's for a little while, that would explain why I had to delete one from my saved search. I'm still on the fence. I kinda feel like I am too old to get one. :nerd:

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Off-roading Automotive tire Off-road racing Geological phenomenon Wadi Geology Vehicle Rock
PFFT! The Pentastar V6 is a much better engine and has a much flatter torqueband, and more torque sooner. Not saying anything bad because most people wouldn't know that besides the true die hard Jeep/Mopar enthusiasts. I can't drive anywhere without seeing 1000 Jeeps on the road here in Colorado old and new lifted and bone stock, perfectly mint and rolling scrap pile. They can't be that bad! I could see it being a money pit because people want to keep upgrading it and just won;t let them go. They call back roads that are difficult to travel on JEEP trails for a reason!

Congrats on your purchase! I've been looking at used ST's for a little while, that would explain why I had to delete one from my saved search. I'm still on the fence. I kinda feel like I am too old to get one. :nerd:
Too old?! Never. I'm going to be 46 next month.

Agreed that the Pentastar is awesome. My husband had a 2011, and got a 2012 this year, with the Pentastar. HUGE difference. We haven't had any problems with it. We really haven't had any problems with any of our Jeeps (we've been through several). The Just Empty Every Pocket comes from the expensive wheeling-specific upgrades, and then the trail breakage, even with the most careful driving. You get on those rocks, and push the limits, stuff is going to weaken each time, and break after a while. A full set of five tires for my husband's Jeep is $2,500. By comparison, we were Googling, and found a set of lowering springs (for the ST) and shock tower braces front and rear - for $600. And that stuff doesn't wear out NEARLY as quickly as a wheeled Jeep, even with frequent autocrossing. So that's why I got out, and back to my flat fun roots. I'm going to spend less, get a lot more and it'll last, and enjoy the heck out of it. Plus, I love hiking/running/mountain biking on Jeep wheeling trips (and I can always drive the husband's). Win-win for me. (Green and black is the husband's, the blue one is mine, that I'm selling).

·
Registered
7 Posts
View attachment 191786 View attachment 191794

Too old?! Never. I'm going to be 46 next month.

Agreed that the Pentastar is awesome. My husband had a 2011, and got a 2012 this year, with the Pentastar. HUGE difference. We haven't had any problems with it. We really haven't had any problems with any of our Jeeps (we've been through several). The Just Empty Every Pocket comes from the expensive wheeling-specific upgrades, and then the trail breakage, even with the most careful driving. You get on those rocks, and push the limits, stuff is going to weaken each time, and break after a while. A full set of five tires for my husband's Jeep is $2,500. By comparison, we were Googling, and found a set of lowering springs (for the ST) and shock tower braces front and rear - for $600. And that stuff doesn't wear out NEARLY as quickly as a wheeled Jeep, even with frequent autocrossing. So that's why I got out, and back to my flat fun roots. I'm going to spend less, get a lot more and it'll last, and enjoy the heck out of it. Plus, I love hiking/running/mountain biking on Jeep wheeling trips (and I can always drive the husband's). Win-win for me. (Green and black is the husband's, the blue one is mine, that I'm selling).
"Just Empty Every Pocket" I've never heard that one! I like it! :haha:

I guess I don't feel bad now, I just turned 45 this month.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts