Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Impressions: TTR Driver's Side Motor Mount

8K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  TurboTechRacing 
#1 ·

Got it installed today. My impressions so far, but not complete:

• It definitely holds the transmission into place while shifting or under load/unload.
  • Vibrations increased just a tad, but not highly noticeable over the previous amount of vibrations in my car. Had my buddy drive my car and he didn't really notice anything. I was expecting the vibrations to be much more.
  • Increases general noise from the transmission, like shifting. Keep in mind that it doesn't literally increase the noise, it just makes it more audible.
  • Had a small squeak(ish) noise while engaging the clutch at very low speeds. Hard to explain what it sounded like. Went away after a couple miles.
  • This mount is very beefy. I feel like the threads that the transmission bracket (2nd pic) threads into will probably rip out before the mount itself fails.
  • It was 18 degrees out while I was test driving it, and I still have my stock tires on. I did drive it a little aggressively, but obviously not like I could if it were summer time. Didn't experience anything bad. Would like to test it in some corners when I can actually grip the road.
  • Install time should be about 1.5 hours from start to finish, assuming you're taking your time. It took me much longer, but I was taking pictures and also trying to film everything. To summarize the installation process: Jack front of car up, remove splash shield, position jack to hold transmission up, remove airbox, disconnect sound symposer hoses, disconnect and remove battery, remove battery box, remove battery box/airbox bracket, remove 4 nuts and 1 bolt to remove stock mount, remove 3 bolts to remove transmission mounting bracket, install TTR transmission bracket, install TTR mount, ... (continue following everything backwards)

See less See more
#3 ·
Keep us posted!

#6 ·
I've got the steeda rmm and passenger side mount, both with 88 durometer bushings, and the stock non-TSB trans mount. Looking forward to this one coming on the market so I can finish off my mounts.

Rob

#9 ·
This mount suspends vertically off the bushing, there is NO twisting force on this mount (in the direction of the bushing), like the passenger side mount which is horizontal and the engine rocking causes a twist. Hope this makes sense?

This mount is an application where a square bushing would not be ideal, or helpfull.

#10 ·
so your saying there is "no" forward and backward force on that bushign?Sure seems like there would be from the pic I am looing at above. Either way I am sure you know more then me on this.

I am stoked with the other mount..thanks for the quick shipping! See if I think the driver side is needed once I get some miles on it.

#13 ·
Rotation is PIVIOTING on the stud in our mount, How can your transmission go in circles, when you have an engine mount...

The direction you state, the bushing (round) is hitting on the sides and does stop it.

Put a writing pen cap on... Hold the pen vertical (up and down) You cannot rock the cap off, but you can twist the cap... Same thing here, front/back/up/down the pen cap stays on. This is how/why the transmission mount does not have a twist force; in the direction of the main bolt going thru the mount.

Now on the upper mount, turn your pen sideways (horizontal). This puts the pen in a twist mode, when the engine rocks back and forth, this is why you need a square bushing.

Hope this helps?

#11 ·
I've looked at mine while taken apart and I'm trying to get my head around how there isn't forward or backwards movement on this bushing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.