Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there's a dealership in Athens, Georgia that wants almost 63k for the RS they have. I had contact with them directly. It's not a typo. Has anyone seen anything THAT crazy? 30k over sticker. Wooow

·
Registered
360 Posts
there's a dealership in Athens, Georgia that wants almost 63k for the RS they have. I had contact with them directly. It's not a typo. Has anyone seen anything THAT crazy? 30k over sticker. Wooow
Doesn't surprise me. I think hype is increasing now that the cars are actually here on the roads slowly but surely.

Im hoping next years number are much higher so that the markups can stop, and im hoping the used market gets nicely saturated in a couple years, just in time for me to upgrade

·
Registered
359 Posts
Absolutely hilarious.
Wait for next year... 63k for a first year model on a Ford Focus? It just sounds strange.LOL!
No friggin' thanks. I'll wait for the wrinkles to wash out and wait for the next generation.

That's just my opinion, do what you want with it.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
they will not sell it at that.. the owner of the dealership wants the car... so they list it insanely high. It doesn't sell and then he ends up keeping it.

Or they flipped the digits and meant to put $36k not 63 and the sales idiot that you talked to didn't know better

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they will not sell it at that.. the owner of the dealership wants the car... so they list it insanely high. It doesn't sell and then he ends up keeping it.

Or they flipped the digits and meant to put $36k not 63 and the sales idiot that you talked to didn't know better
I live chatted with them because I thought the same thing happened. Nope. A six then a three, in that order. Insane

·
Registered
360 Posts

This theory holds some weight...i am sure that if the owner is that much of a car nut or someone in the family wants it, they would pull something like that. Wonder if it is allowed though

·
Registered
517 Posts
This theory holds some weight...i am sure that if the owner is that much of a car nut or someone in the family wants it, they would pull something like that. Wonder if it is allowed though
Working for a family owned store, I can say, this isn't normal for someone in the family who wants the car... they're just literally trying to screw someone who is stupid enough to pay it. Regardless, in my store, with my owner and his son who is my age(31) and has a TON of hobby cars and plenty of money to buy whatever they want, if they really wanted this car, they wouldn't even list it. They'd just take it off the internet, ping it as an active deal, and put a dealer plate on it and drive away until they felt like being done with it.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
In their defense, they may have added undercoating, a tint, extra special dealer prep, scotch guard for the seats, and 3 month extended dealer warranty.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
In their defense, they may have added undercoating, a tint, extra special dealer prep, scotch guard for the seats, and 3 month extended dealer warranty.
Bwahahaha!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Working for a family owned store, I can say, this isn't normal for someone in the family who wants the car... they're just literally trying to screw someone who is stupid enough to pay it. Regardless, in my store, with my owner and his son who is my age(31) and has a TON of hobby cars and plenty of money to buy whatever they want, if they really wanted this car, they wouldn't even list it. They'd just take it off the internet, ping it as an active deal, and put a dealer plate on it and drive away until they felt like being done with it.
Yeah I have seen this done. They don't want the car to leave and if it is the owner or someone close they aren't in a rush to take it. They want the car for the lot for advertising and marketing purposes. If you have a car like this on the show room floor it brings people in to see it, they know they cant buy that but they pick up a ST or hell even a base model Focus, either way that car made them a sell.

This isn't something I just came up with, it is something I have seen done first hand and heard of many times. Chevy, Ford and even Dodge have been doing this for years with "deluxe/special" models. I have even seen it done at Audi dealers with R8s. the "special" spider edition R8s sit tell the end of time with a OUTRAGEOUS sticker on it just to attract buyers.

I just don't see how even a "stupid" person would buy it:
A) a stupid person will not have that kind of money
B) if you have that kind of money your not stupid and you will find a dealer to order from or just buy it from at a normal price (most all dealers have mark up. around here it is about $5+. Not $30k+).
C) no one not even a stupid someone is going to spend DOUBLE the sticker price.
D) it is a Focus!!!!! $63k for a FOCUS! the RS is meaningless at that point. I don't think people are running out to buy this car or even know about it. Ask 10 people today if they know what the Focus RS is, guess 9/10 have no clue. (normal people to not car junkies)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Huh.....I hadn't considered the advertising angle. Ill have to watch for this from now on...to be fair, I DO see that they often put the best of the best limited edition models in the showroom....saw them do that with a C7 zo6 R at a local Chevrolet dealership

·
Registered
98 Posts
There is a dealership about 10 minutes from me that just got a Stealth Gray RS with the RS2 package. MSRP is $40,285. I called about it and they told me they are asking an additional $15,000 on top of MSRP. LOL @ $55,000 for a damn Focus. That is GT350 money or even a M2.

People that pay mark up on these types of cars or even make a justification of these dealers marking these cars up....you are the problem and the reason why these dealers feel like they can do this and why they get away with it.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
There is a dealership about 10 minutes from me that just got a Stealth Gray RS with the RS2 package. MSRP is $40,285. I called about it and they told me they are asking an additional $15,000 on top of MSRP. LOL @ $55,000 for a damn Focus. That is GT350 money or even a M2.

People that pay mark up on these types of cars or even make a justification of these dealers marking these cars up....you are the problem and the reason why these dealers feel like they can do this and why they get away with it.
The problem is that they CAN put a markup. They bought the car outright from Ford and now they aim to make a profit. The laws of supply and demand are in effect at this point. If they are unwilling to negotiate on a ridiculous ADM then chances are they don't actually plan on selling it any time soon.

This is why dealerships suck in general but it's the hand we have been dealt. It is your responsibility as a shopper to find the best deal for you. I was willing to pay $3.4k ADM for my RS in order to have it in my driveway immediately, otherwise I would have had to wait another month and pay at least $5k more for the RS that I have on order and that's not even taking into account the ADM that my local dealer would inevitably tack on to the sticker price.

We see this all the time with every niche vehicle. Pre-owned STi's around here go for more than they do brand new. Whether they hold on to the car for a few months before dropping the price or some idiot actually pays them $10k over MSRP, they still make a sale.

If you want things to change then we need to start allowing manufacturers to sell directly to customers. Unfortunately that won't happen any time soon unless you're a new company like Tesla with no existing ties to dealerships.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The problem is that they CAN put a markup. They bought the car outright from Ford and now they aim to make a profit. The laws of supply and demand are in effect at this point. If they are unwilling to negotiate on a ridiculous ADM then chances are they don't actually plan on selling it any time soon.

This is why dealerships suck in general but it's the hand we have been dealt. It is your responsibility as a shopper to find the best deal for you. I was willing to pay $3.4k ADM for my RS in order to have it in my driveway immediately, otherwise I would have had to wait another month and pay at least $5k more for the RS that I have on order and that's not even taking into account the ADM that my local dealer would inevitably tack on to the sticker price.

We see this all the time with every niche vehicle. Pre-owned STi's around here go for more than they do brand new. Whether they hold on to the car for a few months before dropping the price or some idiot actually pays them $10k over MSRP, they still make a sale.

If you want things to change then we need to start allowing manufacturers to sell directly to customers. Unfortunately that won't happen any time soon unless you're a new company like Tesla with no existing ties to dealerships.
You act as if this is the first "niche" car I've wanted or attempted to buy. I have owned several cars considered niche and never one time paid a ADM.

I ordered a 2000 Integra Type-R. Waited 3 months for that car and it was one of only two the dealer was going to get. I paid sticker and they even threw in floor mats for free. Far more rare car than a RS too.
I bought a 2003 Cobra. It was marked up 10K. I drove it off the lot without paying the ADM and even got A-Plan on the damn thing.
I bought a 2003 Rally Red Evo 8. It was one of only a few that the one Mitsubishi dealer within two hours would get. I paid sticker and was even offered a life size cut out of Paul Walker cause F&F was about to open in theaters. LOL
I bought a 2006 Graphite Gray Evo 9 SE from the same dealer who wasn't getting anymore due to the lack of sales around my town. I paid sticker.

I'm a Ford employee, but I don't expect to get A-Plan on these types of cars. But I will not pay anything more that MSRP. Won't happen. I wouldn't ever order a car not knowing if these slugs would mark the car up when it got to the dealer. If they can't put that in writing, then I'll take my business elsewhere. Doesn't hurt my feelings at all. Thing is, I won't bring my business back to them and make sure that everyone else that I talk to doesn't either.

I'm patient. I don't need a car in my driveway immediately. Even though you saved money, you still paid more and ended up with less than what you originally ordered. One dealership here has seven RS's coming and is the largest Ford dealer in the state. They make plenty of money, but still are marking them up 5k. I want basically the same car you have, only in white, but I will not pay RS2 price for a RS1 car. I have buddies that paid sticker for their track pack GT350's so I know there are dealers out there that don't take advantage of customers. When the 2017's come out, I will find a dealer. If not, I'll buy something else.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
You act as if this is the first "niche" car I've wanted or attempted to buy. I have owned several cars considered niche and never one time paid a ADM.

I ordered a 2000 Integra Type-R. Waited 3 months for that car and it was one of only two the dealer was going to get. I paid sticker and they even threw in floor mats for free. Far more rare car than a RS too.
I bought a 2003 Cobra. It was marked up 10K. I drove it off the lot without paying the ADM and even got A-Plan on the damn thing.
I bought a 2003 Rally Red Evo 8. It was one of only a few that the one Mitsubishi dealer within two hours would get. I paid sticker and was even offered a life size cut out of Paul Walker cause F&F was about to open in theaters. LOL
I bought a 2006 Graphite Gray Evo 9 SE from the same dealer who wasn't getting anymore due to the lack of sales around my town. I paid sticker.

I'm a Ford employee, but I don't expect to get A-Plan on these types of cars. But I will not pay anything more that MSRP. Won't happen. I wouldn't ever order a car not knowing if these slugs would mark the car up when it got to the dealer. If they can't put that in writing, then I'll take my business elsewhere. Doesn't hurt my feelings at all. Thing is, I won't bring my business back to them and make sure that everyone else that I talk to doesn't either.

I'm patient. I don't need a car in my driveway immediately. Even though you saved money, you still paid more and ended up with less than what you originally ordered. One dealership here has seven RS's coming and is the largest Ford dealer in the state. They make plenty of money, but still are marking them up 5k. I want basically the same car you have, only in white, but I will not pay RS2 price for a RS1 car. I have buddies that paid sticker for their track pack GT350's so I know there are dealers out there that don't take advantage of customers. When the 2017's come out, I will find a dealer. If not, I'll buy something else.
Congratulations for doing your due diligence. Don't act as if ADM is anything new. It exists and always will as long as dealerships are the only means of purchasing a vehicle.

People who want the car will pay a little more for a RS but you folks are making it seem as if it is a huge surprise that there even is one.

Also stop acting as if you're entitled to the lowest price. You aren't. It is your job to negotiate. If you can't do that then too bad. That's the reality of the situation. Get over it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Congratulations for doing your due diligence. Don't act as if ADM is anything new. It exists and always will as long as dealerships are the only means of purchasing a vehicle.

People who want the car will pay a little more for a RS but you folks are making it seem as if it is a huge surprise that there even is one.

Also stop acting as if you're entitled to the lowest price. You aren't. It is your job to negotiate. If you can't do that then too bad. That's the reality of the situation. Get over it.
I know a ADM isn't something new. My 03' Cobra had one before I bought it. No, a ADM will only exist while people are willing to pay more for the car than what its worth....simple. I'm not surprised there is a ADM on a RS or a GT350, but what surprises me is the amount they are marked up. I can see maybe $1000 to $1500 (I still wouldn't pay it), but to mark up a Focus up to cost $55k is silly.

I'm not acting like I'm entitled to the lowest price. There is no negotiating with me on a car like that. I know I won't get A-Plan and I'm fine with that, but I won't pay more than MSRP. If not, then I'll go somewhere else.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just bought a Nitrous Blue RS2 (arrives any day now) and the "RS Market Adjustment" was $7,500.00 lol. Tried to counter offer at 5K, but they said there's 4 guys willing to pay it.

Sadly...those 4 other guys will have to wait for an RS.

OTD @ 48K for us. Can't wait to drive it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts