Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i get on the throttle at all, im noticing varying ign corrections on Cyl 1 & 4, ranging from -1.5 -> +4. Is this common? any issues with these numbers? Sometimes i do get a hesitation during acceleration where power drops, then comes back. is my engine mad at me?

these readings are on Stock FMIC, stock DP, cobb Stage 1, NGK plugs, green filter, catback

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
if i get on the throttle at all, im noticing varying ign corrections on Cyl 1 & 4, ranging from -1.5 -> +4. Is this common? any issues with these numbers? Sometimes i do get a hesitation during acceleration where power drops, then comes back. is my engine mad at me?

these readings are on Stock FMIC, stock DP, cobb Stage 1, NGK plugs, green filter, catback
Blog : Understanding knock and ignition corrections in your Ecoboost powered Ford : Stratified Automotive Controls

The hesitation you feel is because when your car has a correction it is pulling timing, so it dials your car back a second so it corrects itself before it does damage to the cylinder. The POSITIVE numbers (the +4 you see) is a good thing. That means your car has plenty to work with and is way ahead without corrections. As soon as you go negative or one of those +4's drop it means the car heard knock and dialed back timing a little. Negative isn't always bad...and can be caused by crappy fuel mainly. Therefore, go fill up at a top tier station and see if it goes away. It most likely will. Or another option is to add a gallon of E85 fuel to your tank of 93 or whatever you use and it should go away.

Edit: It's currently winter, so even down south you get winter blend of fuel that's different than summer fuel. Winter blend sucks lol. It contains additional additives which don't burn as efficiently in our picky tuned motors.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blog : Understanding knock and ignition corrections in your Ecoboost powered Ford : Stratified Automotive Controls

The hesitation you feel is because when your car has a correction it is pulling timing, so it dials your car back a second so it corrects itself before it does damage to the cylinder. The POSITIVE numbers (the +4 you see) is a good thing. That means your car has plenty to work with and is way ahead without corrections. As soon as you go negative or one of those +4's drop it means the car heard knock and dialed back timing a little. Negative isn't always bad...and can be caused by crappy fuel mainly. Therefore, go fill up at a top tier station and see if it goes away. It most likely will. Or another option is to add a gallon of E85 fuel to your tank of 93 or whatever you use and it should go away.

Edit: It's currently winter, so even down south you get winter blend of fuel that's different than summer fuel. Winter blend sucks lol. It contains additional additives which don't burn as efficiently in our picky tuned motors.
I know Costco claims they are Top Tier, but are they really? ive heard performance and MPGs drop by using them?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I know Costco claims they are Top Tier, but are they really? ive heard performance and MPGs drop by using them?
Licensed Brands | Top Tier Gas

If they aren't on this list, then no. Costco is on the list, but if it's a Costco in the middle of nowhere somewhere that get's not a lot of traffic to stir up the tanks then it can easily get poor fuel coming to your tank. Or a malfunctioning system perhaps. Try another one of those stations if you can and see if that helps for a while.

Edit: I have a Citgo station in my local town that reliably has 10 cents higher gas prices and for that reason it's not hardly ever used for gas purchases. Plus, not many use 93 octane like I do, so it might be Citgo fuel but it's the worst one other than Sheetz (Tri-state area thing) in my town. Sucks

·
Registered
816 Posts
lol I pulled a -3.69 and got very sad. Then did a pull later and we were all good! OP you always want positive numbers for the ignition corrections

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts