Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Does that mean I already blew my shocks ?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
I mean you could just need an alignment...but it certainly is odd after only that many miles if you bought new. It's extremely unlikely both shocks have an issue that soon if you didn't like...do anything crazy like jump the car.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Some negative camber in the rear is appropriate and well within spec.

Springs settle after use; if you put 17,500 miles on the car you've had the car about a year or so? It's OK to expect some spring settling.

You can always go get an alignment; the machine will tell you if all four corners are within spec. Cheap insurance against abnormal tire wear and the alignment tech will be able to spot any latent damage too if things are out of spec.

Hope that helps,
Mark

Reactions: cardwzzle

·
Registered
462 Posts
Just to tag along with the OP, I had ford do an alignment check for me at 15k, they corrected front toe, but found passanger rear camber was -1.98° and claimed it could not be adjusted. Is this something I should pressure them to fix? I rotate my tires myself every 3k, so wear is quite even on all tires.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Just to tag along with the OP, I had ford do an alignment check for me at 15k, they corrected front toe, but found passanger rear camber was -1.98° and claimed it could not be adjusted. Is this something I should pressure them to fix? I rotate my tires myself every 3k, so wear is quite even on all tires.
There are adjustable rear suspension components from a variety of vendors to enable you to set rear toe and camber to your liking.

Also, our rear and front subframes are intended to be shifted around a bit as a means to adjust alignment, so if your camber was very negative say on the left and much less so on the right, you could shift the subframe to the right to adjust. I don't recall the exact specs, but about 2 degrees of negative camber equally on both sides in the rear doesn't sound too bad.

Hope that helps,
Mark

Reactions: cardwzzle

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thanks for the information, I'll see if they are willing to make those adjustments, as my passanger rear camber is -1.98° and my driver side is -0.09°

·
Registered
350 Posts
If I am correct you will need adjustable camber arms installed to correct this. They are not a stock part. I installed them after I lowered my car and had issues.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Thanks for the information, I'll see if they are willing to make those adjustments, as my passanger rear camber is -1.98° and my driver side is -0.09°
Sounds like a subframe shift could help, without the need to replace the stock links with adjustables -- unless something is bent or otherwise fubar underneath there.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Agreed.

And also, for just average adjustments, it seems trying to shift the subframe is a bit of work. Haven't seen anything on this and don't know that I'd want a shop guy unbolting and banging around my subframe, LOL.

Also for the OP...shocks, in no way what so ever, support the weight of the car nor the geometry of the suspension. They are along for the ride. In simple terms, a shocks sole purpose in life is to control how fast (rate) the spring moves and stops moving (settles back at its original resting position). Thus a completely bad/blown shock would have zero effect on alignment or how the car sits/settles.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The only thing they can adjust on the rear with stock components is the rear toe. They will not be able to adjust rear camber unless you buy aftermarket lower control arms. Almost all FWD cars look like the camber is off but theyre actually in spec. Its also possible during the alignment procedure the head adapter could have slipped during the rolling compensation. I work with some guys that do half as alignments and have no clue what they're doing. Almost two degrees seems excessive unless youve curbed that wheel or used an improper jacking point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts