Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems I missed this coming out of CES 2017 but Kenwood, Audio Control, Audison and soon Rockford-Fosgate all have solutions to the infernal Sony amp that has to be dealt with if you want to improve your Sony based audio system (MFT, Sync 2, Sync 3)

Audio Control has an options port on it's DM-610 (6 Channel) and DM-810 (8 Channel) Digital Sound Processors (DSP)

Kenwood has the XR600-DSP which is a 6 channel amp (75 x 6) with built-in DSP and Audison has a Prima AP8.9 Bit 8 channel amp (35 x 8)

One small problem with these amps if you desire to keep the advantage of full active speakers is that another multi-channel amp will need to be added to your system.

But if you have already or plan to convert your door drivers to 2 way passive systems then you only need one channel per door, not two.

Here are two videos showing the installation of the Kenwood eXcelon XR600-DSP into a 2017 Ford Edge (Kenwood USA) and 2014 Ford Edge (iDataLink)

I thought I would have to wait for the Rockford-Fosgate DSR but that's not the only product, Audio Control will at some point release a D6-1200 amplifier.

Yah for not having to run load adaptors, just eliminate the darn thing!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The unfortunate thing is that the Maestro + one of these new fancy DSP enabled amps, is a pretty big uplift in cost, over something more traditional like a LOC + Amp + optional resistor packs. In the end, you may end up spending $400 or more in difference, for really just DSP functions, and less cabling. Which IMO, only addresses pure enthusiasts, and not the more general "want more volume," customers.

I want the new fancy stuff. But my budget was an LCi7 + older alpine 5 ch amp, and $25 in audiophile resistors, breadboards and a plastic case. Setting me back less than $400 total. I think what Kenwood/Audiocontrol will be offering with the Mastro, it's a $1000 intial cost

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
of course the maestro and a stand alone DSP is going to cost a whole lot more, but there is no contest in how good it will sound compared to just a LOC and amps. the biggest difference is once you remove the OEM amp, you will remove all of the BS EQ'ing that OEM amp does that really messes up the sound. sure things like accubass will help to correct some of the that, but to use the pure un-messed with signal before any of that happens will make the system sound exactly the same no matter what volume level its playing at.

its only going to get better and cheaper once Rockford releases their version, the DSR1, and you no longer need a $600 stand alone DSP. a DRS1 and a decent 5ch amp will only run you into the $500+ range instead of the $1k+ range.

so yes, if you are happy with the sound you have and just want it louder, then a basic LOC, resistors, and amp may be the way to go, but its good to now have a lot of options for the MFT stereos for people who want a top notch sound system with amazing sound.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Awaiting that DSR-1 myself! Have been using the LC7-i and a JBL 5 channel amp, and it is still not where I like it. That Sony just kills all the signals before we can do anything with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think I was necessarily addressing the concerns of the budget conscience.

The Rockford-Fosgate DRS-1 is the least expensive option offering the most adjustability but requires an amp.

The Audison Prima offers the most channels onboard (8), DSP and a line output. When paired with much more efficient speakers it will really shine, but you can do that with the stock amp as well.

Like the Kenwood because I like the XRS-900-5 5 channel amp and would pair it with the XRS-600 DSP. That would give me a full active system and more than double the sub woofer channel.

I just like symmetry so while I could pair it with the Alpine PDX-V9, in the future I might make the install look pretty and keeping the same the same brand and heatsink style goes along way.

Not really connecting with the value of the Audio Control units. Strictly as a DSP they are great but they are very close in price to the other options.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awaiting that DSR-1 myself! Have been using the LC7-i and a JBL 5 channel amp, and it is still not where I like it. That Sony just kills all the signals before we can do anything with it.

Which is the problem with compromised setups like that. When you increase the volume to the whole spectrum of sound, naturally problems would appear and the factory system can't address that, neither can the LC7i.

Curious why aren't you using the XR900-5 anymore?

I have two systems in mind -

DRS-1 > Alpine PDX-V9 > Hertz Energies > JL Stealth box or XRS-600 DSP > XR 900.5 > Hertz Energies (Active), JL Stealth box

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I have two systems in mind -

DRS-1 > Alpine PDX-V9 > Hertz Energies > JL Stealth box or XRS-600 DSP > XR 900.5 > Hertz Energies (Active), JL Stealth box
I do love those V9's!

question, why would one of your options be to have a 6ch amp AND a 5 channel amp? would you really need 10 channels of non subwoofer amplification? I'd think it would be a lot more simple to just use one of their mono amps in addition to their 6ch DSP amp.

man I cant wait for this damn DSR1 to come out! I've been sitting here looking at this box of stuff sitting in the corner of my office for months now waiting on that interface. my plans are to use the DSR1 with a Kicker IX1000.5 powering two pairs of Kicker QS 6.75" components. the rears will be coaxily mounted so that tweeter is not right in my ear, and then I think I'm going to go active (so I don't have to have 4 huge crossovers that together are twice the size of the OEM amp) and just run the four tweeter off of two channels and the four woofers off of the other two channels. Im thinking that with moving the rear tweeters down to the bottom of the door, I wont really have a problem with them being too loud up front and ruining the sound stage. then I haven't decided what I'm going to use for a sub, I have a new 8" L7 that is planned to go in the wifes Escape so I'm going to build a couple of boxes for it and break it in and see how it sounds, but if its not enough for me, I may just use the 12" RE Audio SEX that I also have from the came build that all the kicker stuff came out of

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I do love those V9's!

question, why would one of your options be to have a 6ch amp AND a 5 channel amp? would you really need 10 channels of non subwoofer amplification? I'd think it would be a lot more simple to just use one of their mono amps in addition to their 6ch DSP amp.

man I cant wait for this damn DSR1 to come out! I've been sitting here looking at this box of stuff sitting in the corner of my office for months now waiting on that interface. my plans are to use the DSR1 with a Kicker IX1000.5 powering two pairs of Kicker QS 6.75" components. the rears will be coaxily mounted so that tweeter is not right in my ear, and then I think I'm going to go active (so I don't have to have 4 huge crossovers that together are twice the size of the OEM amp) and just run the four tweeter off of two channels and the four woofers off of the other two channels. Im thinking that with moving the rear tweeters down to the bottom of the door, I wont really have a problem with them being too loud up front and ruining the sound stage. then I haven't decided what I'm going to use for a sub, I have a new 8" L7 that is planned to go in the wifes Escape so I'm going to build a couple of boxes for it and break it in and see how it sounds, but if its not enough for me, I may just use the 12" RE Audio SEX that I also have from the came build that all the kicker stuff came out of
Same reason you want to go active....

To run full active two way I need six channels.

Using my V9 as the base, that gives me 125 x 4 and 567 x 1.

I don't need that much power for tweeters so I would employ the Alpine KTU-44U I believe it's called. That would give me 40 x 4 for tweeters, 125 x 4 for mid-bass and 567 x 1

I'm happy with my V9, I just like some of the features of the Kenwood DSP. I will have to dig into the DRS-1 as it's released to see if I still want to go that route.

V9's whoops arse, drove a poorly matched 12" sub in a sealed box hard. My Hertz DSK-165's loved the clean power, about 60 watts more than its continuous rating. Can't wait to experience what it would do to a properly matched sub and box.

The JL 8w3ae is a ridiculous, the L7 in a 1.00 cf ported enclosure would give you the best performance vs size ratio. Don't underestimate the thump these super long throw 8" subs can dish out.

I am going with the JL Focus Stealth box because there really isn't a good reason to do anything else.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Oh -

The Kenwood 6 channel is 75 x 6 and bridging two channels together gives you 200 watts, that's a little soft for a sub IMHO, better than the roughly 60 watts the Sony gives obviously but less than half of the sub output of my V9.

Combining it with a XR 900.5 gives me similar sub output to my V9 plus a solid 100 x 4 on the full range/high pass channels.

Breakdown would be -

75x4 = Tweeters
100x4 = Mid-Bass
600 (2 ohm) = Sub
200 x 1 Center channel (Sync restored to playing mainly through dash speaker)

In either case with the DSP functions of either option, I can control the output of the tweeters. Hertz speakers are some of the most efficient out there, so I can keep the noise floor to a min by keeping the gains down.

I don't mind rear speakers, I have passengers (Uber). In my Hyundai Accent the rears were tuned to be 6 db lower than the fronts. DSP fixed this issue but I still kept the fade towards the front, rear passengers don't complain.

I was often asked to turn it up.

Just proves that the majority of ride share cars are boring and mundane.

Alpine = 1235 watts
Kenwood = 1240 watts (sub channel 4 ohm) * 1420 watts (sub channel 2 ohm)

Alpine would be 3.6 times more power than the Sony system
Kenwood would be 3.7 times more power than the Sony system

·
Registered
737 Posts

What amp are you running exactly? And im waiting for the DSR-1 also..... LOC sucks with stock sony amp...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts