Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been running my stratified stage 1 tune for almost a month now. Performance Mods pertaining to this discussion are a Deporacing 5.5" intercooler. My CAT were always, at max, 4° below the outside temperature. Usually closer to 8° below outside temperature. My IAT however would always be at least +15° of what the outside temperature was. Thought that was weird but hey, car pulls really well and my logs looked good. Recently switched over to the Cobb stage 2 tune and my CAT are +12° of what the outside temperature is and the IAT are about +5° of the outside temperature. Just curious why this is? I wouldn't think changing the tune would cause this unless one of the tuners has set a parameter in these two values to trick the computer into thinking these values should be a set % of the outside air? Thoughts, comments, suggestions all welcomed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm guessing your car is a '15+.

'15+ read ~15-20 degrees hotter than they actually are. So if your charge temps are ambient +15, you're actually at ambient. Stratified corrects this number with some algorithms in their tunes, so when you switched to the cobb tune, those corrections were gone and you're seeing temps as the ECU sees them.

If you search around there is an entire thread from a couple years ago detailing the discovery of this and Stratified's trouble shooting/development of the correction.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guessing your car is a '15+.

'15+ read ~15-20 degrees hotter than they actually are. So if your charge temps are ambient +15, you're actually at ambient. Stratified corrects this number with some algorithms in their tunes, so when you switched to the cobb tune, those corrections were gone and you're seeing temps as the ECU sees them.

If you search around there is an entire thread from a couple years ago detailing the discovery of this and Stratified's trouble shooting/development of the correction.
Perfect. That would explain it. Thanks. And yes, its a '17. Wonder why Ford did that?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts