Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm sorry, but if you dont look yout car over at least every couple months, you will not find things like this. Good to report all you find to the dealer while under warranty, then expect ford to help after its out of warranty?

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
554 Posts
I bought my car brand new April 2015. Also performance blue. Bottom of hatch is starting to get ugly. What do I do? I can see noticeably more panel gap on one side of the hatch than the other as well. It definitely rubs.

I also have a rear driver side door that has had an odd panel gap near the wheel arch...dust/dirt actually gets in and I have to wipe that seat/door pocket down every once in a while.

I want to resolve this before that corrosion warranty is up.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ford has a 5 year unlimited mileage corrosion warranty, this is for the 2013 model year.
Requires perforation of metal to be covered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What really causes that is not cleaning the vehicle after its been exposed to hazardous things. Dirt and moisture collect and left unchecked you get rust.
You spent 26k on a car and leave it outside , drive through all kinds of nasty weather, hose it off at a car wash and now it has a small spot of rust.
Ford didn't drive your car, you did.
Get someone to help you take care of that now. Its not hard and its a skill most people can handle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought my car brand new April 2015. Also performance blue. Bottom of hatch is starting to get ugly. What do I do? I can see noticeably more panel gap on one side of the hatch than the other as well. It definitely rubs.

I also have a rear driver side door that has had an odd panel gap near the wheel arch...dust/dirt actually gets in and I have to wipe that seat/door pocket down every once in a while.

If you live in michigan or not too far, I would take right to the damn factory, and show them maybe they will help?

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
Are there any cars with this issue that lived their entire life outside of the salt belt?

Quit your *****ing, and do one or more of the following:
Get out of the salt belt. (not a current fix, but will save your woes for the next car)
Learn to take care of your car taking into account that you live in the salt belt.
Pay someone to fix rust issues that WILL (not if) pop up constantly while living in the salt belt.

Simple as that.

Just a quick Google search will tell you that all across manufacturers, living by the ocean, or living in the salt belt is death of pristine cars. Japanese, Domestic, Euro, doesn't matter. If there's a place the salt can get into and rust can get a foothold, it will and you are seeing the result. The best defense is to take the car to a pressure washer and bathe it up and down in and out, lots of extra water in the corners where things tend to pool.

·
Registered
16 Posts

So car is 2 years old and paint is bubbling. I would think its still in warranty and they have to do something?

The worst car(trucks) I've seen it the Dodge Pickups...I swear they are 1 or 2 years old and the rear wheel wells all have rust.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
I would like to report back with good news. My car has been repaired and my dealers body shop did a great job! The work is guaranteed for as long as I own the car so that is good. So far this car has been very good mechanically. Nice to have it back in the driveway and ripping down the street again.

Seems as though there have been a lot of posts since my last visit. Some helpful but not sure which ones have been directed to whom. Nonetheless I wanted to clear up a few misconceptions should they be directed my way.

I live 1,700 ft. above sea level. I have 2 Ford vehicles over 20 years old with 315K miles on them in my driveway and a 04 Pontiac GA with 215k Miles on it. All have been mechanically maintained and/or repaired by me and externally could pass for brand new. They have sat outside every day of their life with no rust issues at all. I am very meticulous with my vehicles. My cars are all in better shape than anyone else's I know. I hand wash and wax at least twice a year and avoid automatic car washes.

The Ford body shop at my dealership has already informed me that this is a manufacturing issue with the seam strip used on specific models causing the corrosion. It's not a maintenance issue and would happen no matter how well they're maintained. I wanted to see their repairs before and after so I was shown a few vehicles in the body shop that hadn't even been titled yet....being repaired under warranty (mainly Explorers) and many more with less than 25K miles on them in various states of repair all the way to completion with corrosion in the same spot on all. Anyone who believes this is the fault of the owners due to lack of maintenance and care is peeing on our shoes and trying to convince us it's raining.

That aside, I paid to have my new vehicle repaired. I am very happy with my FoST. In an effort to keep the rust at bay, I felt $580 was cheap and I won't miss that amount too badly The repair results couldn't be better. I figured it made sense to have them perform the repair since they see this issue all the time. I figured they should be experts at this point and they were. The dealership did an excellent job of matching the paint. They had to paint the entire hood as it had spread through to the upper lip.

Photos both of my old Ford which now has 316,000 miles on it and my FoST after the repair :)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Ford probe
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Sedan
Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Hood Roof
Hood Automotive exterior Auto part Trunk Vehicle

21 - 28 of 28 Posts