Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is 4 years old with 47K on it. I saved up and purchased my ST brand new. My first new car and look at this. Dealer says I'm on my own. No one is going to insult my intelligence. This started long before the 36K 3yr warranty was up.

Someone get me the information of who I need to contact about this. It IS A DEFECT and is unacceptable. They should at least help me with the repair costs.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Your dealer is correct, you are indeed on your own. There are other threads here with people having the same problem and unless you are in the 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty Ford won't do anything. You should have made a claim while it was still in warranty.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Although you might be upset about it, beit rightfully so, there's nothing Ford/Dealer can really do for you. Out of warranty. Unless there's a recall for it you're going to pay.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The bubbling paint was just recently caught or believe me I would've taken it in. What I was trying to say was that it is obvious due to the extent of the rust that this didnt just happen 10K Miles ago. Its been rusting for 15 to 20K miles and over a year to progress to this point. No one in their right mind would even think about looking for stuff like this on this new of a vehicle. Plus I got the maintenance plan so the dealer are the only ones poking around under the hood. I caught it 2 days ago when just popping the hood to take a look around.

Well as long as they're happy with declining sales. If you have stock in Ford might want to pull it out. We all know this is a BIG problem and with social media as it is today it won't take long before people start to take notice.

They have the right not to help me and I have the right to inform as many people as I can to help save their hard earned dollars.

This picture is going to circle the net and I will park as legally close as I can to the dealership with my hood raised to show potential buyers what they're getting into with a Ford these days.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The bubbling paint was just recently caught or believe me I would've taken it in. What I was trying to say was that it is obvious due to the extent of the rust that this didnt just happen 10K Miles ago. Its been rusting for 15 to 20K miles and over a year to progress to this point. No one in their right mind would even think about looking for stuff like this on this new of a vehicle. Plus I got the maintenance plan so the dealer are the only ones poking around under the hood. I caught it 2 days ago when just popping the hood to take a look around.

Well as long as they're happy with declining sales. If you have stock in Ford might want to pull it out. We all know this is a BIG problem and with social media as it is today it won't take long before people start to take notice.

They have the right not to help me and I have the right to inform as many people as I can to help save their hard earned dollars.

This picture is going to circle the net and I will park as legally close as I can to the dealership with my hood raised to show potential buyers what they're getting into with a Ford these days.
I get why your're pissed and hopefully @Willis414 is right and you have corrosion warranty, although I've never heard of that. Anyways, it might be a big deal to you and a few other guys on here, but the outside world doesn't give a **** about your rusty ST. Not trying to be a ****, but it's true, I've been pissed like this about stuff and that's all that came from it, I was pissed and still had to spend $$$$ to fix my issue. And Focus being made in China is gonna lose them a lot more sales than some rust.

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Premium Member
688 Posts

I get why your're pissed and hopefully @Willis414 is right and you have corrosion warranty, although I've never heard of that. Anyways, it might be a big deal to you and a few other guys on here, but the outside world doesn't give a **** about your rusty ST. Not trying to be a ****, but it's true, I've been pissed like this about stuff and that's all that came from it, I was pissed and still had to spend $$$$ to fix my issue. And Focus being made in China is gonna lose them a lot more sales than some rust.
To add. Even if the CEO of Ford knew, he would not care. He knows you are a niche purchaser who studies the online opinion, who cares about long lasting quality, but also wants cheap. Ford knows exactly your market segment, and its not a big enough one.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
My '13 Mustang had bubbling on the hood seam - a common place. I didn't catch it until a few months after the warranty ran out. Ford wouldn't help with offsetting any of the costs - I tried a few times with zero results. $2.3k fix since it wasn't repairable & the hood needed replaced. I was lucky enough to find a new takeoff hood in my color that was shipped to my house for $900.

So good luck but I think you have about a 1% chance of getting any help from Ford.

Edit: the corrosion warranty is only good if it's perforated - which yours isn't.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My '13 Mustang had bubbling on the hood seam - a common place. I didn't catch it until a few months after the warranty ran out. Ford wouldn't help with offsetting any of the costs - I tried a few times with zero results. $2.3k fix since it wasn't repairable & the hood needed replaced. I was lucky enough to find a new takeoff hood in my color that was shipped to my house for $900.

So good luck but I think you have about a 1% chance of getting any help from Ford.

Edit: the corrosion warranty is only good if it's perforated - which yours isn't.
If I was in that predicament I would just be replacing the hood with a carbon fibre one, they are considerably cheaper than 2300. It's a pity about the rust issues. I recently found some rust on the top strut brace which, when I get a chance to get around to it, I will grind back and repaint (it's very thin at the moment).

·
Registered
63 Posts
i don't know about US. in EU there is 12 years on corrosion warranty.
BUT. it has to be hole trough the metal. not just "some" rust on it.
But still it is a shame, that new car have this kind of a problem and no one cares about it.
so i hope you resolve a problem within a warranty.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
definitely not a 12 year here in the states, in the "rust belt" almost every car would have major holes through the metal by 12 years old!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Mine had SAME defect. My local dealer took care of it when I'm sure FORD told them to go fly a kite. Mine had approx 40,000 miles when I originally noticed it.

See your service manager.

Focus_Rust_2013.jpg

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Working for a dealership let me just give you a little insight for those who may not know. Dealers have a goodwill policy/fund allowance set aside every period for them. If you are a customer who happens to be out of a warranty, but have a situation like this, you can ask to speak to the service manager and request for the to goodwill. Sometimes you get lucky and they do a 100% upfront goodwill, sometimes they may negotiate where you pay labor and they pay parts.

The deal is that what happens is that the service manager will look to see 1) have you been a regular customer who has regularly maintained your vehicle with THEM? How much have you spent? Have you purchased cars at that dealer before? etc etc. If you are a first time customer, then its not likely to happen, but if you have purchased many cars with them and have spent alot of customer pay money at the dealer, they usually will have no problems goodwiling work for you. Sometimes you just have to complain and nudge because they dont like having to use it.

So long story short ask if they can Goodwill it, then worse case ask for a deal where maybe you and the dealer split the bill somehow. g/l

·
Registered
40 Posts
My question is how and why is moisture/water getting in there to begin with? Did you guys notice any bare metal, cracked paint, paint anomalies of any sort? Would like to know if it's something I can keep an eye out for as part of preventative maintenance. I have noticed on my brand new "17 that there are way too many paint quality issues(dry spray, coverage issues, dirt in base and or clear, bare metal showing in jams and by hood rod mounting hole, etc.). Scoured whole vehicle and touched up/corrected what I could. Of course you never see this sh*t until after you take delivery.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
712 Posts
I live in California where we get little rain... but still. What causes this, and is there a way to prevent it?

·
Registered
530 Posts
This started long before the 36K 3yr warranty was up.
Well.... did you talk to your dealer about it before your warranty was up...? If not, this entire post is irrelevant.

You: It was broken during warranty, I swear!
Dealer: *Lumberg voice* Yeaaaaahhhhh I'm gonna have to go ahead and say no to that one

Someone get me the information of who I need to contact about this, PLEASE
FTFY

LMGTFY <---- The internet is a beautiful thing, you should try it

It IS A DEFECT and is unacceptable.

Is this you?

https://www.similarweb.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/speak-to-a-manager-haircut.jpg

·
Registered
386 Posts
Here in Norway, where they salt the roads for 7 months of the year, I was told by Ford that if I choose to rust proof the car I`ll lose the rust warranty. Reason was that if I do, they cannot keep track of rust development. Go figure. Most other brands even offer offer anti rust treatment as part of purchase, for a minor fee of course.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oil is the best rust and corrosion preventative. You can look into a product called Fluid Film. I've used it for years, I live in New England and they salt the roads. I spray my vehicles good twice a year, and spot spray every time I do maintenance.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Since when do cars rust.....?

---INSERT THE BIGGEST SARCASTIC EMOJI YOU CAN FIND HERE---

Reactions: poletrain

·
Registered
704 Posts
Every rust warranty I've ever seen only counts it when it's rusted through, which will usually take longer to happen than the usual warranty span even with barely treated metal (think '80s Subaru).

But, hey if you think that's bad, don't buy a Mazda! Or a Nissan. And as annoying as that may be, that's pretty minimal and an easy fix. If that's the only place you have rust, BFD—it's in an easily workable spot, surface, not visible from the outside (so no having to be particular with paint matching or a pro job), and likely result of poor QC (some kind of contamination in the process, missing sealer, whatever), which is much better than just piss-poor manufacturing where the whole car would be dissolving (Seriously, Mazda and Nissan, have you ever heard of galvanize dip? It's not the 1970s anymore.). A wire brush until it's as shiny as you can make it, some rust converter, prime, paint to seal it, and you used up a couple hours on a weekend.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts