Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Good deal or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
You're going to restrict airflow to the intercooler at the lower opening and the radiator at the upper openings. Our cars already have charge temp issues, don't need to make that worse. Just get the correct bumper.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
You're going to restrict airflow to the intercooler at the lower opening and the radiator at the upper openings. Our cars already have charge temp issues, don't need to make that worse. Just get the correct bumper.
I only plan to autocross once or twice a year and we know those runs last less than a minute and spirited driving during my commute when I'm not driving my company truck. This car won't be beaten, redlined or raced.

Knowing that info could I just install a mesh grill for the large center and remove the plastic impact bumper on the crash bar and that will give me enough air flow for cooling for what I intend to do? I don't mind installing a 3.5" fmic either to help out. If my thought on this is completely wrong and won't work then everyone jump in and advise me not to but I feel the center bumper grill on an SE can be modified enough to allow plenty of air into the fmic and radiator.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
You'll be a pioneer in this field, so i think we will all be looking at you for data and inputs as to how well this does or does not work. I don't think youd have the butcher the bumper and install mesh, but there is definitely a concern of direct airflow to the intercooler face that will be cut off or mis-aimed.

An intercooler is highly recommend regardless of what front bumper you have or your driving style.

Reactions: rob99rt

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You'll be a pioneer in this field, so i think we will all be looking at you for data and inputs as to how well this does or does not work. I don't think youd have the butcher the bumper and install mesh, but there is definitely a concern of direct airflow to the intercooler face that will be cut off or mis-aimed.

An intercooler is highly recommend regardless of what front bumper you have or your driving style.
I did some research through the threads and I think just a depot will due for what I'm going to be doing with it.

Here's a photo of a mesh grill idea I was having since everything will be off and I don't need this car on the road asap I can play with this bumper idea. If I chose not to use the bumper I'd only lose out on modifying the center grill so I could sell it after anyways.

·
Super Moderator
9,049 Posts

Actually Rebel Devil Custom has ST swapped regular Foci, using the regular front end. I believe he mentioned something about better gas mileage out of it besides looks.

They make it up to Carlisle Ford Nationals, so I've chatted with them and looked it over first hand. Sleeper status.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
That grill will do the trick, you'll only lose direct airflow at the bottom few rows of the intercooler, looks like. It opens up everything above that though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That grill will do the trick, you'll only lose direct airflow at the bottom few rows of the intercooler, looks like. It opens up everything above that though.
I appreciate you input. Looks like Rebel Devil only inserted the $50.00 style honey comb front grill inserts and shaved the top half of the side inserts for more air and left the big black license plate area alone.

Does the original st bumper block some of the oem intercooler as well?

The car gets delivered tomorrow morning so hopefully I'll have some free minutes to snap some pics and do more bumper research tomorrow night.

After seeing Rebel Devil I'm not too worried anymore.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Yes the stock ST bumper blocks the upper portion of the IC, but the lower opening is a direct and straight shot at the lower core which was my inital area of concern when using the SE bumper.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Car arrived yesterday at 4pm. I rolled it into the shop at 4:30 and took the broken pieces hiding everything off and did an alignment check and was out by 5:20pm. Alignment is dead nuts where it should be so that's a relief. Turns out the hood touched the A pillar so I'll have to have that touched up but the undercarriage is clean with no damage. Someone stole the ST emblem off the back so I'm really going to have a sleeper now besides the rear exhaust giving me away. Car only has 1 check engine light code. A P0453 which has a permanent status so I have to figure out where or what is causing that.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Update!

Car went into the shop on Tuesday of last week. I drove it over and the r/r tire is flat spotted bad from locking the brakes up. Luckily I have a used tire in the 235/40R18 in my shop with 3/4 tread. Now the good parts. Owner is a friend of mine and he said "don't worry about the cost, we'll take care of you" I said okay... wondering what he had in mind and handed him my keys. I found an SE Titanium front end clip from Virginia and negotiated him down to $1400 delivered. I did some mechanical side work for $600 the past 2 weeks so the front end costed me $800. The guy doing the work said it was easier to cut the front rail and weld the one from the clip then try and pull the frame rail out perfectly. So since I had a full clip he did so and prepped my front pillar and bumper for paint while he was at it. They attached the active grill shutter motor and zip tied it under the headlamp. They found a wire pulled out of the plug on the ecu so that may be the cause of the EVAP permanent code. I can't find a wiring diagram so I'm crossing my fingers it fixes the P0453 evap pressure sensor code I have. He said he will fix that wire as well. I spent $40 total on a plastic ECM cover front and back from ford since the old one was shattered. The SRS light on the dash is because the car came with no bumper support. On our cars the bumper support includes crash sensors so he thinks once he clears the code when it's back together my air bag light will be gone! I swung by on Friday and took the bumper inserts and plasti dipped them black and took out the side grill inserts and made sure the piece behind was gone to allow air flow. He said it should be done by tomorrow and I asked him what the hell does he want in return after all this? And he said his employee needs a set of tires for his 3/4 ton truck rolling on 20's. Since I run a Tire and Service center I will have a complete front end clip with frame rail repair along with a A pillar and bumper re-paint for roughly $1200 worth of tires. Crossing my fingers for tomorrow🤞
Painted.jpeg
Checkover.jpeg
Rail.jpeg
Clip.jpeg

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
holy crap...you weren’t kidding when you said front “clip“

...that is NOTwhat I was expecting to see 😂😂😂

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I love how the remaining half of the windshield is still perfectly intact... lol

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
443 Posts
this is exciting to see. could be one of one Frankenstein ST. after my front splitter and bumper was eaten by a truck tire. Im considering putting on a sleeper bumper from the SE. Ill be watching this closely.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
this is exciting to see. could be one of one Frankenstein ST. after my front splitter and bumper was eaten by a truck tire. Im considering putting on a sleeper bumper from the SE. Ill be watching this closely.
Car should be done today so I'll post pics of it soon. Would be cool to be a one of a kind ST with a SE Titanium front end. I thought someone would have done it by now but it seems everyone puts ST bumpers on SE models. Since someone stole the ST badge off the rear I have to figure out if I want to toss a new $25 emblem on or just remove the 3M and go badge less.

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
443 Posts
I just went with an oil slick ST decal in place of mine that fell off on the rear lol.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Car should be done today so I'll post pics of it soon. Would be cool to be a one of a kind ST with a SE Titanium front end. I thought someone would have done it by now but it seems everyone puts ST bumpers on SE models. Since someone stole the ST badge off the rear I have to figure out if I want to toss a new $25 emblem on or just remove the 3M and go badge less.
Are you still planning to remove some of the plastic in front of the intercooler and replace it with screen/mesh?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Are you still planning to remove some of the plastic in front of the intercooler and replace it with screen/mesh?
I might mesh it later. I'm trying to just get it registered and on the road first and foremost since I took a new job offer THIS MORNING and it's 3.5 hours away and I'm loosing my company truck in 2 weeks. So getting this thing rolling is priority.

The red focus that did an ST swap didn't go full 100% mesh. That shop just installed the $50 mesh inserts from ebay that are only 50% open for more air flow. What I've done with the stocks triangle ones (In the photos above) should provide the same amount of air flow so I should be fine there. The only difference is they had the upper grill/emblem mount removed for air flow. I don't have that done but I can cut out as needed. I also had the shop not re-install the active grill shutters so its all open behind the bumper. If I see temps higher than I would like then I'll mesh it. This car is just a DD for 99% of its life and throttle so with a little bit of research I'm hoping I won't need to go all crazy with a larger intercooler or complete mesh bumper to drive it.

Don't get me wrong,.. I'll know soon enough if I'm wrong and I'll make sure I get the proper air flow if needed. (y) ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Car is done.

I have possibly the first ST to SE front end conversion!?😄 I have 2 front lower valence pieces and the under pan to put on to complete it. The intercooler will get plenty of air with the cutouts. Hooking up the front upper bumper support took care of the airbag lights and the fix on the wire to the ECM harness cleared out my evap code so there's no dash lights at all!

The owner of the body shop still just wants a set of tires that I'm ordering tomorrow for him.

Tomorrow I also go to get plates for it so I can drive it back to the shop and do LEDs, 4 corner brake job, spark plugs, intake filter, royal purple oil change...

I'll update next week when hopefully I'm driving it around and I'll document any temperature issues if any with the bumper swap.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Car is done.

I have possibly the first ST to SE front end conversion!?😄 I have 2 front lower valence pieces and the under pan to put on to complete it. The intercooler will get plenty of air with the cutouts. Hooking up the front upper bumper support took care of the airbag lights and the fix on the wire to the ECM harness cleared out my evap code so there's no dash lights at all!

The owner of the body shop still just wants a set of tires that I'm ordering tomorrow for him.

Tomorrow I also go to get plates for it so I can drive it back to the shop and do LEDs, 4 corner brake job, spark plugs, intake filter, royal purple oil change...

I'll update next week when hopefully I'm driving it around and I'll document any temperature issues if any with the bumper swap.
Looks great! Now you need some Se style wheels and SLEEPER!! Lol
Awesome project and thanks for the updates!

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
443 Posts
I like it! got a front lip?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts