Good deal or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the ST forums. I've previously been on Audizine, 6gc.net, Focusfanatics (owned a 2012 SE Sport and wife had a 2013) so I'm going to search my best before I ask and I've already grabbed some of the sticky posts for knowledge and reference already.

The reason we bought it was because I need a commuter car soon since I'll be losing my company truck (4+ years of free driving) in the near future so instead of getting a big car payment for a fun car like my wifes 2019 WRX, I didn't want to waste $4-9k on a used car that wasn't fun and quick... so I bought this for $5600 delivered. Should arrive next week. Any thoughts on if it's a good deal? I'm trying to calm my wife that it was a good purchase but she's having her doubts since I just found out it got totaled because of a $12,795 repair quote and I don't want to have an $8,000 mistake in our yard.

My parents checked it out because I wasn't close by at the time (3 hrs away) but my dads a car guy (rebuilds classic cars and modern salvage cars from this salvage car location as well) and he looked it over and said the interior is mint and it starts and purrs like a kitten and the A/C is cold with coolant being still full in the reservoir. All it has is Rally Armour mud flaps and brand new Goodyear tires with no modifications done to the car otherwise. No airbags went off but the crash bar is pushed in ~3/4" on the drivers nose which I have a repair shop 100 ft away from me that said they'll treat me decent for an easy pull once they get it in their hands.... I'm really hoping that I found a good one and not a money pit where the front end will never line up after the pull.

I already sourced a paint matched used hood $410, fender $125 and a used headlamp for $90. I have all the other parts I think I need based off the damage that I can see sourced and my parts repair for this car with a pull will be about $2,000 since I'll be doing all the labor in my own shop.

Focus.jpg
Focus2.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
443 Posts
you will be good to go. price seems fair. and good on you for avoiding car payments. what trim level? ST1 or ST2? Dont forget to inspect suspension components, alignment etc...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you will be good to go. price seems fair. and good on you for avoiding car payments. what trim level? ST1 or ST2? Dont forget to inspect suspension components, alignment etc...
Luckily I run an automotive shop so I have an alignment machine to check everything before the pull gets done and after. I'm hoping the impact didn't affect the suspension.

I saw in some posts there was ST1 and ST2 references but I don't know how to know exactly what trim level beyond ST vs SE for example. It has cloth seats and it doesn't have a touch screen or navigation so I'm assuming it would be ST1?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Getting a good deal is entirely subjective to what you have in repairs, so it's going to be more of a hindsight judgment than a pre-fix guess. I will say that if your dad fixes salvage title cars regularly than i would trust his judgement on the purchase.

I will say that im happy you're saving another ST from the boneyard. I have no qualms with R title cars if they were fixed correctly.

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
443 Posts
I second TurboGt. If you did not have access to the tools and support as stated then my answer would have been different. Ive owned several Salvaged cars and have used my shop to pull frames, weld quarter panels, and even re paint used parts to save cash. Now if it was a ZX3 i would say not worth it lol. Good luck and keep us updated on what you find. salvage purchases is a roll of the dice. So i want to know if you find any major problems.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kona Blue ST1
773 Posts
Welcome to the community. As my fellow posters stated, you should fine based on your level of experience and resources available. I would also like to advise that you run your VIN to insure that all the necessary TSB's have been addressed. Also investing in a Bluetooth DLC interface and downloading Forscan would be worth your while.

I must warn you however that these vehicles become addicting. I purchased my with the sole intention of a fun 100% stock daily driver. That lasted exactly 2 weeks. So stand warned! LOL!

If you do run across anything I'm sure that you will find someone here that can help you out.

Good luck & Stay Safe!

J

Reactions: Skykri

·
Registered
593 Posts
I agree with the above. This is a pretty good purchase given the fact that you can repair it yourself. These are really fun cars. As others have stated, you're smart to avoid car payments and the one that you've taken on is for the wife... I think you end up with a great car for very little money. Please keep us updated to see if I'm right.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the input from all of you so far. I'm more calm about it then I was before. The quick response from this community so far today has been awesome. I'll post up pictures of the damage with before and after shots hopefully next week and let you know if there was any horrible hiding damage my dad couldn't see.

Welcome to the community. As my fellow posters stated, you should fine based on your level of experience and resources available. I would also like to advise that you run your VIN to insure that all the necessary TSB's have been addressed. Also investing in a Bluetooth DLC interface and downloading Forscan would be worth your while.

I must warn you however that these vehicles become addicting. I purchased my with the sole intention of a fun 100% stock daily driver. That lasted exactly 2 weeks. So stand warned! LOL!

If you do run across anything I'm sure that you will find someone here that can help you out.

Good luck & Stay Safe!

J
I don't have too many upgrades lined up besides a cat back exhaust. The wife wants to sell the house and get a bigger one in the next year so she wants a good chunk of $$ for a down payment. My extra fun/future plans for the car will be put on hold but I can't complain because she heard an oem exhaust sound clip off youtube she said immediately said it needs a new exhaust and balck rims before it gets to our driveway so I get those approved purchases for now. (y)

I have access to a bosch scan tool and a snap on Modis. I don't know anything about forscan besides just looking it up quickly on Google. Would buying the Bluetooth interface and Downloading forscan get me anything more than what those two tools give me?

·
Premium Member
2017 Kona Blue ST1
773 Posts
Having access to those scan tools is good for repair and troubleshooting for sure.

Using programs like Forscan, which acts like Fords IDS software the dealership uses (forscan actually pulls information from some of the same resources as IDS) allows for more control.

Other programs like

Will help to unlock hidden features not normally available to USDM markets.

On the catback exhaust a buddy and I are meeting up this evening to buy an entire factory exhaust inorder to engineer what we are calling an "adult exhaust system" you could try out the vibrant ultra quiet resonator in place of the factory resonator (which Ford actually list as a muffler by part #)

But to each their own.

J

·
Registered
564 Posts
Only time will tell.... Although it’s been my experience that typically when I buy something to save money, it ends up costing me money. Did you check with your insurance before buying it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
564 Posts
One thing I love about the ‘14 is Tuxedo Black... a beautiful color in the sun & Ford should’ve kept it on the ‘15s & up. Power coat or paint those wheels black, tint those windows & that ST will look sick.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Did you check with your insurance before buying it?

He would only have an issue if A) his insurance company was the company that originally totalled the car and B) he was looking for full coverage. The worst thing he would have to do is either carry liability only or switch to another provider for full coverage if thats what he wanted.

Reactions: PokerRun388

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
The only thing I would be wary of is the frame damage but since you have a shop nearby that can work that out for you....
Seems fine to me. I'd second what another member said to throughly inspect all suspension and steering related components in the front.
I think you should be able to get it all patched up though.

Also. The ECU or pcm (engine control box whatchmacallit) is right there in front of that wheel. You'll really want to check that out really good to make sure no wires are crimped and cut. Also check the connectors going into the black box that it's housed in.
Best of luck on your project!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Using programs like Forscan, which acts like Fords IDS software the dealership uses (forscan actually pulls information from some of the same resources as IDS) allows for more control.

On the catback exhaust a buddy and I are meeting up this evening to buy an entire factory exhaust inorder to engineer what we are calling an "adult exhaust system" you could try out the vibrant ultra quiet resonator in place of the factory resonator (which Ford actually list as a muffler by part #)
I'll look into the forscan for sure. Do you have a part number for the Vibrant ultra exhaust resonator?

I'm assuming you are recommending I keep my factory exhaust and just swap out the oem resonator/muffler for the one you mentioned and I'll get a better sound that is not too ricey or a loud drone while driving?

Does anyone have an Audio or video clip of our stock exhaust with just the res/muff swap?

The only thing I would be wary of is the frame damage but since you have a shop nearby that can work that out for you....
Seems fine to me. I'd second what another member said to throughly inspect all suspension and steering related components in the front.
I think you should be able to get it all patched up though.

Also. The ECU or pcm (engine control box whatchmacallit) is right there in front of that wheel. You'll really want to check that out really good to make sure no wires are crimped and cut. Also check the connectors going into the black box that it's housed in.
Best of luck on your project!
Yeah the drivers front corner is pushed in that 3/4 of an inch. I'm going to toss it up on the alignment rack right off the bat and see if the suspension got moved on that corner. Then hopefully the frame shop can work that corner out for me.

I was wondering what unit was the exposed one in that corner. My parents started it up and only got a bulb failure light and a SRS so hopefully the PCM and ECU are good. Otherwise I'll find out sooner than later won't I?

As far as insurance goes I'm only having liability as I will have it paid for outright and if I do something stupid with the car then it's on me. Keeps me behaved? I called the insurance company already and they said $327 a year for liability so not too shabby.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One thing I love about the ‘14 is Tuxedo Black... a beautiful color in the sun & Ford should’ve kept it on the ‘15s & up. Power coat or paint those wheels black, tint those windows & that ST will look sick.
The wife 100% agrees with you. I haven't had a black on black car yet in my life so it just may happen at my ol age of 34

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts

Just FYI, I have a tuxedo black ‘15 :)

And welcome to the party pal!

Reactions: PokerRun388

·
Registered
68 Posts
It sounds like a good deal to me. I'm currently looking at a salvaged MS3 with very similar damage. I have no worries about being able to repair it for cheap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It sounds like a good deal to me. I'm currently looking at a salvaged MS3 with very similar damage. I have no worries about being able to repair it for cheap.
I just picked up a complete front clip from down south shipped to my shop door for $1600. It's unfortunately an SE but it's a Titanium model so black headlamps and matching Tuxedo black paint. Will I be the first ST owner to go with a non ST front bumper?

Also will I have any issues with air flow? From looking at aftermarket intakes and where they draw air from along with most people removing the air vents behind the Grills anyways I don't think I'll come across having any issues with an SE bumper besides making heads do a double take when they see the ST ass and a normal front end.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts