Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*note I posted this in te wrong forum so im moving it here*

So i have a freind of the family working as a car sales manager in the used car lot of the Ford dealership. He's the one who hooked me up with my ST(brand new) . Well I asked him about putting in a tune and he told me as a manager he said that tunes (according to Ford and as a spokesman) can void warranty claims. Then he told me off the record that he's never seen a warranty denied (at least to his knowledge) because someone bolted on aftermarket parts. He said they are a high volume dealership and its just easier to fix and to get cars in and out then it is trying to prove the part caused damage (to less obvious degrees)especially if you flash it back. He said some dealerships (like the one south of us in the country) that have a low volume will flat out deny powertrain claims if they even sniff that the cars been modded with a tune. Lucky for me the 2017 ST tunes arent out yet (come on Cobb!!!), when when they do I am HAAARRRRDDD PREESSED not to buy one with a Straified tune. I love the car but feel its just under the threshold of producing the kind of power that I want. The things ive heard about how these cars react to just a tune and intake makes it hard not to jump in. I just think of the day that if something goes wrong with the drivetrain and I flash it back to stock will be the day they see that and im stuck with no fix, paying 4,000 for a new motor or tranny... TO TUNE OR NOT TO TUNE!!! ( my car only has 800 miles on it too) =/ Any horror stories that I someone will just say ride it out till the warranty? (I know this subject has been beatean to death but i want personal opinions that relate to a car as new as mine)

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
A) don't tune
B) go Ford Racing and keep the warranty
C) Go MP275 and keep warranty
D) go with some other company and "most likely" get denied most drivetrain claims if something goes wrong

There are options.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mountune n/m ... how does an aftermarket tune get to keep the warranty? I get the Ford racing ine dealer here installs it.

·
Premium Member
5,730 Posts
Ford Performance and Mountune do not retain the factory 5 year/ 60k mileage powertrain warranty. They do however replace the factory powertrain warranty with a 3 year/ 36k mileage warranty by Ford Performance. If you have a powertrain failure within the 3/36k period they will replace the part under the Ford Performance warranty, not the factory 5 year powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is "in my old age" answer.

When I was in my early 20s. I bought a brand new audi s4. With 50 miles on the odometer I picked it up from the dealer and drove it right to the performance shop to have a performance chip installed. This was at a time when you had to physically pull the ecu apart and solder in a new one.

Now 20 years later with some wisdom behind me I cringe of the thought of what any of those twin turbo audi repair bills would have cost out of warranty.

Part of why you buy a new car and part of why it cost as much as it does is because of that warranty.

The chances of hurting the car are slim I suppose but the thought of making a say 300 payment a month and buying a 500 plus part that could lead you to having to pay for all power train repair bills doesn't seem all that appealing to me any where when most places have a 55mph speed limit any way and in most cases the 250hp this car does have is a little overkill.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those those that have said "F it" and jumped in the pool with their clothes on ...is it worth it? Are the power gains worth dumping what is esentually an insurance policy? I mean it seems like fun...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I can't think of a single situation where tuning wouldn't cost you more money. Be it in gas, rubber, more mods or a new engine.

That being said I love my Unleashed ST :in love:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't think of a single situation where tuning wouldn't cost you more money. Be it in gas, rubber, more mods or a new engine.

That being said I love my Unleashed ST :in love:
haha its like 50/50 for /against . Appreciate the replies though! Man I feel like a dog being told not to eat when hes got a giant rare steak staring him the face...!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Tuning your car runs the obvious risk. The odds of you having issues are much lower than the odds of NOT having issues. Most people here with tunes are fine, others not so much. If you can't financially afford to risk your car and would be 100% effed if you lost your car then don't be an idiot and just leave it alone. I can afford to go buy a beater vehicle if mine pops, so I tuned it and bolted go fast parts to it. I absolutely LOVE IT.

Edit: I've put 15k miles of joy on my car and 10k of them are "tuned" miles from Stratified, not a single issue at all. Literally.

Car has 30k total miles. 2014. OH and I commute 60 miles A DAY for work. I drive my car hard usually. 3-5k mile oil changes.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Those those that have said "F it" and jumped in the pool with their clothes on ...is it worth it? Are the power gains worth dumping what is esentually an insurance policy? I mean it seems like fun...
Plenty of people here will say they did it and have been fine. Some might say the opposite (likely a smaller number). Ultimately I have a few questions for you to think about (don't need to answer them here)...
- What do you intend to use the car for?
- What does your mod budget look like?
- If your car breaks down could you fix it out of pocket?
- How long can you go without a car if it is in the shop for major repairs?

Ultimately if it is a daily driver, my advice would be leave it stock or get the MP275 package. It has an intercooler to reduce stock heat soak issues and has plenty of power for a daily driver. My ST is a daily (well sort of... a daily for the rare days when I have to drive). MP275 and FRPP were not available until I had owned the car for awhile so I went with custom tuning from Mountune. I have not had any issues and I hope I never do. However, my situation allows me to be without my ST for an extended period of time if something did happen. If it is a daily you rely on to get to work everyday and you have no reliable alternatives, then do what you can to keep warranty IMO (which means stock, FRPP, or MP275).

I will also say power is not everything. Some of the best mods improve handling, shift feel, etc.

Reactions: DailyDriver

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well I have my 2000 Chevy Tahoe Z71 that I still use from time to time. I half gave it to my dad to use for work.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Like others have said in this thread, its a pay to play kinda game. You want a faster car? Be ready for the unlikely scenario where the motor blows and you are replacing it out of pocket.

Also, if you are happy with the factory power output why do you wanna tune it?

All that aside, I have had my car for about 9 months so far and ive gone from bone stock to stage 3. Now im shopping for a bigger turbo. The mod bug is a horrible disease, but i love it.

Reactions: DailyDriver

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Plenty of people here will say they did it and have been fine. Some might say the opposite (likely a smaller number). Ultimately I have a few questions for you to think about (don't need to answer them here)...
- What do you intend to use the car for?
- What does your mod budget look like?
- If your car breaks down could you fix it out of pocket?
- How long can you go without a car if it is in the shop for major repairs?

Ultimately if it is a daily driver, my advice would be leave it stock or get the MP275 package. It has an intercooler to reduce stock heat soak issues and has plenty of power for a daily driver. My ST is a daily (well sort of... a daily for the rare days when I have to drive). MP275 and FRPP were not available until I had owned the car for awhile so I went with custom tuning from Mountune. I have not had any issues and I hope I never do. However, my situation allows me to be without my ST for an extended period of time if something did happen. If it is a daily you rely on to get to work everyday and you have no reliable alternatives, then do what you can to keep warranty IMO (which means stock, FRPP, or MP275).

I will also say power is not everything. Some of the best mods improve handling, shift feel, etc.
1. I use it for work, getting around town, weekend fun driving.
2. My budget i could drop 1500 into right now (as soon as parts become availble for the 17's) I was going to go FRPP CAI, with Cobb Accessport and a Stratified tune. (wanted to keep it DL in case I do need to take back for warranty and flash it back to stock, like i said in the OP my family friend said they get cars in and push em out with out too much digging due to the high volume, I want the fun with maybe being able to get away with it if i can, dont know how often reflashing back to stock works in daaling with dealerships)
3. This is my first 'new computer/turbo car' so i have NO idea how expensive repairs can get. I mean would i be able to save 2500 for a new turbo? sure ... repairing a 8g engine block probably not
4. Well I have my old 2000 Z71 208k on the ticker but still running strong

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The likelihood of something bad happening as a result of a tune is low IMHO. There is obviously still a chance or if the dealer finds out it was tuned and is not cool and feels like/can blame the tune for the problem then you are up a creek. I have a Stratified tune and I love it. You will see in my sig what my mods are. It is my daily driver, but I really don't go to crazy in it. I would say 99% of people on here who are tuned have not had problems. If you go with a reputable tuner then you should be fine. Or play it safe and enjoy the ST for what it is.

EDIT: I have also had my car into the dealer twice for a random misfire CEL and had all my fuel injectors swapped. I unmarried my AP and flashed my ST back to stock and I was fine. I have also had my oil changes done via dealership.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
I was really on the fence regarding the whole tuning thing. If you reflash back to the stock tune, you may be just fine regarding warranty claims. There are many here with tunes that have taken their cars in, and all was fine. I'm sure there have been some that had problems. I just went with a Stratified flash tune, and the whole 1 time I've driven the car since, I love what it does. Bolt on mods are useless without a tune. I'm not going to worry about making a claim when/if the time comes. Fortunately, my ST is not my EDD. It's entirely up to you weather you wish to roll the dice! I thought my car was fun enough stock. It took me 1600 miles to change my mind regarding that! :haha:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The likelihood of something bad happening as a result of a tune is low IMHO. There is obviously still a chance or if the dealer finds out it was tuned and is not cool and feels like/can blame the tune for the problem then you are up a creek. I have a Stratified tune and I love it. You will see in my sig what my mods are. It is my daily driver, but I really don't go to crazy in it. I would say 99% of people on here who are tuned have not had problems. If you go with a reputable tuner then you should be fine. Or play it safe and enjoy the ST for what it is.
on a scale of 1-10 what kind of difference did you see with a modest Straified tune and a couple of bolt ons.. is it THAT much of a difference we are talking about. I know FFRRP has a warranty with thier tune but from what ive read the power gains are bleh...so to me minimal power gains and having to deal with a 3rd party warranty dealer isnt worth it. Had a buddy in the early 2000's buy a new focus (ran like 15.8 in the 1/4) he bolted on FRPP head, an early style tune, FRPP headers ..ect dropped like 3.5 k on parts and ran a 14.9... and blew his motor to boot / screwed his warranty. I know stock ST's run around 14.5's ... and i probably be willing to get dicy and try to sneak a tune past the dealership if it meant my car was going to go 13.9 with a modest tune and a couple of bolt-ons.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts