Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Focus titanium that I have had now for a while now and I want to increase the horsepower. I thought it would be cool to purchase a used 2.0l ecoboost out of the ST and swap it into my focus. To keep it discrete though, I want to keep it an auto like my car already has. Does anyone know if the 2.0l ecoboost out of the ST will bolt right onto the automatic transmission in my titanium or another ford auto trans that will work? I know, "make it a manual blah blah blah" that's not the point so don't bother mentioning that.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I have a 2014 Focus titanium that I have had now for a while now and I want to increase the horsepower. I thought it would be cool to purchase a used 2.0l ecoboost out of the ST and swap it into my focus. To keep it discrete though, I want to keep it an auto like my car already has. Does anyone know if the 2.0l ecoboost out of the ST will bolt right onto the automatic transmission in my titanium or another ford auto trans that will work? I know, "make it a manual blah blah blah" that's not the point so don't bother mentioning that.
Hit up these guys they are the swap gurus. https://rebeldevil.com/ As far as I know the duratec 2.0 and Ecoboost have the same tranny bolt pattern but I dont think the auto will handle the TQ very long

·
Registered
14 Posts
How about using the engine and trans out of the 2.0 liter Escape? Get bold and swap the steering column as well and have paddle shifters.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Why don't you just get a small turbo and run low boost and have it tuned from scratch such that the torque doesn't destroy the trans? If you do somehow get an ST motor onto that trans tuned to match factory ST specs, you're gonna wreck the trans real quick. Your request as stated is going to cost you over 10k after dyno time. Regarding "it's not the point" actually, it's the entire point. This motor was never designed to be mated to an auto trans and running our torque numbers is going to shred the trans. You came to the forum for a car offered only in a manual asking how to make it an automatic. If you are really motivated to do this, it will be easier to swap in an ecoboost from an already auto car such as the fusion or escape. It will be easier and probably cheaper to trade in for a used ecoboost fusion and follow suit with another guy (pwnall?) on here who is doing big turbo in a fusion. That's pretty much definition of a sleeper and I don't think they make those in manual. Even if you don't want to big turbo, you can just get an OTS tune for it.

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why don't you just get a small turbo and run low boost and have it tuned from scratch such that the torque doesn't destroy the trans? If you do somehow get an ST motor onto that trans tuned to match factory ST specs, you're gonna wreck the trans real quick. Your request as stated is going to cost you over 10k after dyno time. Regarding "it's not the point" actually, it's the entire point. This motor was never designed to be mated to an auto trans and running our torque numbers is going to shred the trans. You came to the forum for a car offered only in a manual asking how to make it an automatic. If you are really motivated to do this, it will be easier to swap in an ecoboost from an already auto car such as the fusion or escape. It will be easier and probably cheaper to trade in for a used ecoboost fusion and follow suit with another guy (pwnall?) on here who is doing big turbo in a fusion. That's pretty much definition of a sleeper and I don't think they make those in manual. Even if you don't want to big turbo, you can just get an OTS tune for it.
See your missing the point of the post. I asked if anyone would know if the auto trans bolts up to the ecoboost in the ST, not "What is your opinion on this idea." It's like swapping a LS into a Miata. There are easier and better ways to get more power but the point is the wow factor and the coolness of it all. This Focus won't be my daily for much longer anyways so I don't really care about reliability or price.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Sounds like getting an ST and taking all the esthetics off that make it an ST would be easier and a hell of a lot cheaper..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
See your missing the point of the post. I asked if anyone would know if the auto trans bolts up to the ecoboost in the ST, not "What is your opinion on this idea." It's like swapping a LS into a Miata. There are easier and better ways to get more power but the point is the wow factor and the coolness of it all. This Focus won't be my daily for much longer anyways so I don't really care about reliability or price.
Get in touch with @kdeyoung1 He will let you know exactly what needs to be done. He has a sedan that's swapped.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I already own a '02 Focus SVT so I know how to drive stick. The point is that I don't want any sign of an engine swap unless the hood is open
They make the titanium in a manual, so you could just say it's a manual titanium and still manual swap it.

You're right, there is a "wow factor" to ST swapping a titanium, but I guarantee everyone who says "wow" is also gonna go "oh... why didn't you just swap it to a manual while you were at it? This is much less cool now" after they learn you didn't just do a full swap because again, you can still hide it with the manual titanium excuse, nobody will question that, they aren't going to run your VIN to check

Regardless, you do you, that's my $0.02, your car, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're the only person ever to want to marry this motor to an auto trans and the only way you're going to get your answer is to measure it yourself or call Ford

·
Registered
704 Posts
My 2012 SE was a manual and I've seen some others (though I had to special order mine, so they're not that common). Put a 5-speed shift knob on it (early ones were 5, not 6-speeds), if you really like, but nobody's going to know the difference anyway, unless you tell them about it and then what's the point? To agree and add to what Poletrain said above, maybe one out of a hundred people you tell will care and those who do will give you the annoying, "Yeah, that's cool, but what I would have done is . . ." or "You shoulda done . . .". And it would ultimately be much easier and cheaper to swap standard body parts and the seats onto an ST.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
There's a lot more to the ST than the motor and fancy seats.
If you get stupid with the power of the ST motor without the ST suspension, tires and brakes to back you up this could be your last post. I drove (and crashed) big block muscle cars in the 70's and am amazed at both the quickness of the ST and it's ability to save me from a moment of immaturity.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm equally amused and amazed by people with the attitude of "Don't tell me what I don't want to hear".

With that out of the way, if you have the time, knowledge, skill, and bank roll to insist on continuing down this road, you'd be best off with a trans from an Escape or Fusion that was paired with a 2.0T. As you are likely aware, the trans in the regular Focus stuggles to work properly with 150ish horsepower. So you shouldn't expect it to work with 250ish HP.

So that leaves you with swapping the entire powertrain from a donor vehicle into your Focus. Might as well go all out and get an AWD setup from a Fusion/Escape with the automatic. Make yourself a junior RS with an automatic in a plain wrapper Focus. Best of luck to you if this ever gets past the day-dreaming stage. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts