Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been lurking on these forums for a few months now. Going to try and post on this site a little bit. I appreciate the people still here supporting this car. It is awesome!

Quick, short story. I've owned a 2012 Grabber Blue V6 Mustang since 2014, it's been a pretty amazing car (the color is my favorite thing ever), though I almost bought a new '14 FoST back then, but it was out of my price range at the time.

Well, I've put 55k miles on the 'Stang in 3 years and I've been itching to get something new (before the Mustang blows up or does something dumb) and my eyes fell back on my first love, the Focus ST. Like any big purchase, I tend to do a ton of research before I buy anything, and I stumbled upon this forum. Really cool place here!

Well, between the threads of "This recall broke all our cars" and "blew my engine at 28.5k miles" and "my car's been at the shop for 3 months and constantly breaks" and "oh btw, your hatch might come open on the highway for no reason", and "hey, you could throw a misfire code at any time on a cold start", the car sounds like a potential nightmare to own. I don't frequent many car forums so I don't know if they all share experiences such as this one, but my question is simple: Should I take the plunge and get a '17 FoST? Or would I be better off buying something else? I would appreciate honesty here, though asking this question on a FoST forum is probably going to generate some bias, and that's okay. I love the look of the FoST. I love the fact that it's the hottest hatch under 25k. I love the fact that it has a turbocharged engine that you can throw a Roush CAI on and make it sound like a tornado in heat.

But what I won't love is if it breaks on me after 30k miles. I'm not someone that generally drives their car hard. In fact, I haven't taken the Mustang over 5000 rpm or above 90 mph once. (Not to say I wouldn't ride the hell out of a turbo'd 4cyl though. The sound is probably intoxicating) And I say that as someone who drove their first car (2000 Toyota Celica) hard quite often. I need this stuff to last, now, but I also will probably want to do things such as put a cold air intake on it, maybe a new intercooler, exhaust, etc. nothing to really threaten the integrity of the engine, but enough to say I put some stuff into it. I'll also probably get it painted as close to Grabber Blue as I can because maaaaaaan, that color.

So, if you were given the opportunity to buy a '17 FoST for yourself, knowing what you know, would you do it? Or would you go for something else? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you frequent car forums, you are aware that just like the local news, the horror makes the headlines. And with the number of STs around, I'm sure there have been some legit issues just like with any car. Pick any car, find their forum, you will find the horror stories. They will sell you a decent extended warranty to give you some piece of mind. Sounds like you need to take a test drive!

·
Registered
380 Posts
like what was said above the horror stories make the headlines on forums. Just like product reviews the few that have bad experiences tend to overshadow the majority of the satisfied folks who dont say a thing. some on here have well over 100k and 200k and not too may problems. I am and was a "GM fanboy" until i drove the st a few times and fell in love. like you said for $25k nothing else compares to it except it's lil bro the fiesta st. Its a platform that many have proven to be fairly solid and tons of info is on here as im sure you have seen. Drive one and if the $ is right and you feel its right then join the club. IF nothing is seriously wrong with the mustang just look around maybe a vw, honda, or something else will spark your interest.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought an ST2 in January and so far have no regrets. The transmission/shifter is a bit clunky in my car and the recaro driver seat could be more adjustable. The low beams on the headlights while bright in a defined area, don't throw the beam out far enough IMO. Still, it's a fun and practical car.

If I were in the market for a car today, I'd check out the new Civic SI. Seems like a good value and it has a real LSD.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm 10 months into ownership of my ST, and I'm currently at 14k miles. Which means I'm expecting 16,800 annually. This car has been a joy for me thus far, I've resisted the urge to modify it and it is a fantastic and reliable daily for me.

I would recommend one to an enthusiast on a budget any day. It is to date the funnest factory FWD I've driven.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wasn't a ford fan, or an ST fan, or even a hatchback fan ( actually I used to make fun of fords a lot, and my original opinion on the ST was that it reminded me of the SRT4 which I used to make fun of people by saying it was just a neon ) but having owned it for two months, and driven almost 7k miles... damn, that's a fun car. fun was a big priority for me, and this definitely nailed it. ive gone back and forth several times on only doing cosmetic mods, or also doing the mods that you've mentioned, tuning being the mod I want most, but am also the most afraid of. this is my commuter car, and i'd like to maintain the integrity of the extended warranty that I paid for. so far though, I'm extremely pleased with the purchase.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I wasn't a ford fan, or an ST fan, or even a hatchback fan ( actually I used to make fun of fords a lot, and my original opinion on the ST was that it reminded me of the SRT4 which I used to make fun of people by saying it was just a neon ) but having owned it for two months, and driven almost 7k miles... damn, that's a fun car. fun was a big priority for me, and this definitely nailed it. ive gone back and forth several times on only doing cosmetic mods, or also doing the mods that you've mentioned, tuning being the mod I want most, but am also the most afraid of. this is my commuter car, and i'd like to maintain the integrity of the extended warranty that I paid for. so far though, I'm extremely pleased with the purchase.
Dude, you=me

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bought my 2015 ST a month or so ago and love it so far! My advice, go now, right now and test drive a 2017. The deals they have w the $4k back and 0% fin etc are crazy. I bet as soon as u drive one u will want one....Good luck!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Saw the news releases, thought I'd never own a hatchback. Then Car and Driver tested one and called it "immature" and "a bad decision machine." It's been 75,000 miles, 2 TSBs (one-two bang motor mount and wiring harness) and 2 recalls (rear hatch and door latches). I've driven it like a sane person, like I stole it and everything in-between, no issues. I'll probably get flamed, but I'm not tuned; 2 hp per cubic inch stock is nothing to sneeze at.

·
Premium Member
13,993 Posts
Saw the news releases, thought I'd never own a hatchback. Then Car and Driver tested one and called it "immature" and "a bad decision machine." It's been 75,000 miles, 2 TSBs (one-two bang motor mount and wiring harness) and 2 recalls (rear hatch and door latches). I've driven it like a sane person, like I stole it and everything in-between, no issues. I'll probably get flamed, but I'm not tuned; 2 hp per cubic inch stock is nothing to sneeze at.
No need to tune if you enjoy it.

Sent from another galaxy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was in the same boat, and to this day tuning it sounds terrifying due to a lot of threads on here. However, people that aren't blowing their engines from modding aren't going to be starting threads to let people know. I do see a lot of posts throughout the forums of people with cars that have been tuned for a long time. That is reassuring to me.

I've got 21k miles on my 15 ST, second owner. I bought it with 16k miles. It has been trouble free since day 1. It is such a fun car to drive both on a daily basis and spirited driving. I upgraded the lower to a mountune RMM and it drives much better.

Go drive one. I think you'll fall in love.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I bought my 2016 ST1 a year ago. Said I wouldn't tune or modify till after my warranty was up. My car now has 15k miles and is already stage 3...haha. I didn't have the patience to wait and I just like taking things apart too much. 0 problems with the car so far though.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I bought my 2016 ST1 a year ago. Said I wouldn't tune or modify till after my warranty was up. My car now has 15k miles and is already stage 3...haha. I didn't have the patience to wait and I just like taking things apart too much. 0 problems with the car so far though.
Haha i did the same thing with my 2017.. Told myself this is my dd and im not going to modify it but that lasted all of a couple weeks. Now im trying to not go stage2/3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
825 Posts
Have had my ST3 for 30 months. I like it fine.. stock.
Two months short of being paid off.
So naturally I am looking at a new Focus. An RS. $45,000. (it even comes with a set of Winter wheels)
I m pretty sure I will not buy one.. But I have easily just jumped into a new car on a whim.
So maybe.. maybe not..
LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some great responses on here. I especially appreciate the news one, I used to work at a tv station and certainly know that reference. I've thought about a Golf GTI but the Focus ST really does give you the most bang for your buck short of a Mustang, and while I love my Mustang, I'm a 4cyl guy at heart. I just love the sound of a 4 cylinder engine when it's not tinny. My Celica had an amazing sound but so many older Civics just sound awful.

As far as the new Si, they're cool cars. I LOVE the feel of my friend's Si (2007) - shifting with it feels better than shifting with the Mustang. Focus has more practicality and power to weight than the Civic does. The new Type R is a bad machine. If it wasn't so much money, I might look into getting one of those.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have had my ST3 for 30 months. I like it fine.. stock.
Two months short of being paid off.
So naturally I am looking at a new Focus. An RS. $45,000. (it even comes with a set of Winter wheels)
I m pretty sure I will not buy one.. But I have easily just jumped into a new car on a whim.
So maybe.. maybe not..
LOL
The RS is so cool. I've seen a handful here in NC where I work. I don't know if I could buy one just because I've heard the ride is rough on all settings, and I do need a tiny bit of comfort for any lady friends that might find their way into my life. The sound of them is incredible, if I had the money, I'd at least seriously consider it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.