Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was on my way to work this morning in the far right lane because the freeway on ramp was about half a mile away when all of a sudden the three cars in front of me hit their brakes pretty hard because the lead car needed to slow down to a crawl to turn into the driveway. When this happened I signaled and got one lane over to go around the bunch up of and then got back into the far right lane. Well apparently a BMW in the group that I went around did not approve of my maneuver as I saw him dart out and fly up behind me. I turned right onto the on ramp which has three lanes: the far left lane merges with the middle lane about 100 yards down (these two lanes are for the 405 S) and the right lane is meant for those taking the 73 south. I got into the middle lane and the BMW 325 (looks like it was at least a 2015) got into the far left lane that eventually merges with my lane. I kept looking in my mirrors and I could see the BMW was punching it pretty aggressively to try and pass me which is a pretty dangerous maneuver as he was about to run out of real estate where the two lanes merge.

At this point I had just shifted into 3rd and got a nice long pull and started walking the BMW as I could see him struggle to keep up and then ultimately decide he couldn’t pass me with his lane running out. He then got in behind me and tail gated me, but traffic was ahead so I had to apply my brakes and he almost rear ended me. He then swerved around me and got into the right lane and drove up to the front of the line (pretty much on the shoulder) to just cut everyone off. I laughed because I highly doubt he thought my little ford hatch was capable of any quickness at all. These are the times that really make me love my “under the radar” ST. This guy must really not like be passed by anyone...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
321 Posts
There are so many people in the bay area that pull the same crap. They will drive along in the left lane, slowly, and when you change lane to go around them, they speed up. I assume because they do not want anyone in front of them. Which is supported by the fact that they are driving so slowly that there literally is nobody in front of them.
In the ST, that is never really an issue, but in my truck it can be.

CrashMW

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are so many people in the bay area that pull the same crap. They will drive along in the left lane, slowly, and when you change lane to go around them, they speed up. I assume because they do not want anyone in front of them. Which is supported by the fact that they are driving so slowly that there literally is nobody in front of them.

CrashMW
I was cracking up because he was clearly not happy that a little hatch passed his glorious BMW and then he couldn't pass me when he actually tried. I could hear his engine revving high and I just kept pulling away. I just kept thinking "please don't let my charge pipe blow right now haha". Yeah every morning there a d-bags who pull these stunts and they are usually they are in the luxury car segment, big trucks, and off road jeeps.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts

CrashMW
When people get mad at me for passing them on the right (it's illegal to fail to move over when someone behind you is going faster than you when you're in the left lane..you literally HAVE to move over) I usually wait to see if they jump and try to stop me from passing before gunning it. If there isn't traffic and you make me pass you on the right I promise you that I'm going to make sure I get around you and your minivan/suv/Altima so stepping on it because you're mad does nothing. I hate people like this.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I was cracking up because he was clearly not happy that a little hatch passed his glorious BMW and then he couldn't pass me when he actually tried. I could hear his engine revving high and I just kept pulling away. I just kept thinking "please don't let my charge pipe blow right now haha". Yeah every morning there a d-bags who pull these stunts and they are usually they are in the luxury car segment, big trucks, and off road jeeps.
Yup. I just did a write up in the racing forum about my track event last week at laguna... And fortunately the track crowd is pretty cool. But I am sure there were a few surprised Porsches and BMWs out there that may have been just a little hesitant to point by a Ford Focus...
But like I said, a good group of people in general.

CrashMW

·
Registered
554 Posts
Had a guy in a Powerstroke super duty modded out, LOUD as hell. It sounded awesome, and pulled like a freight train. He ripped ahead of everyone ahead of me and him, and I was trying to keep up but gave up as my ST has been slow as hell lately. It was hot out, and I'm on stock IC so just taking it easy. Short, snappy pulls - need to avoid the long 3rd+ gear pulls.

Really just wanted to hear more of that V8 and see it pour out black smoke on everyone. I had my windows closed and vents on re-circ. lol

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Almost had a BMW but I lazy-clutched and missed third. He was surprised though.

An aside, what's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW? The porcupine has the pricks on the outside.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Unless it's a 335i+, you shouldn't have any problems with a 3-series. 320's and 328's are too slow for their own good. They can move out of their own way, but not the way a ST can.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Unless it's a 335i+, you shouldn't have any problems with a 3-series. 320's and 328's are too slow for their own good. They can move out of their own way, but not the way a ST can.
A newer 328i with the 4 cylinder turbo will do 0-60 in the mid 5's, and the quarter in the low 14's at just under 100 mph. 2015 BMW 328i Automatic First Test - Motor Trend

Unfortunately for the ST crowd, that's enough for a stock 328 to stay out in front of a stock ST in a straight line. Since the OP is tuned with some mods, the advantage was switched to the Ford for this encounter. It is better to know your competition, than to just ignorantly dismiss them as "too slow". Especially when they are actually faster in the first place than our cars (stock vs stock). :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
A newer 328i with the 4 cylinder turbo will do 0-60 in the mid 5's, and the quarter in the low 14's at just under 100 mph. 2015 BMW 328i Automatic First Test - Motor Trend

Unfortunately for the ST crowd, that's enough for a stock 328 to stay out in front of a stock ST in a straight line. Since the OP is tuned with some mods, the advantage was switched to the Ford for this encounter. It is better to know your competition, than to just ignorantly dismiss them as "too slow". Especially when they are actually faster in the first place than our cars (stock vs stock). :)
Ehhhh 0-60 means nothing when we are FWD and they aren't. Best I've seen a 328 trap aside from that article is 95mph, worst I've seen a reasonable ST trap is 96. We have 10hp and torque on them, and the lightest base level 328 weighs the same as our heaviest ST.
Unless it has an auto box there's no reason a stock ST couldn't beat a 328.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Ehhhh 0-60 means nothing when we are FWD and they aren't. Best I've seen a 328 trap aside from that article is 95mph, worst I've seen a reasonable ST trap is 96. We have 10hp and torque on them, and the lightest base level 328 weighs the same as our heaviest ST.
Unless it has an auto box there's no reason a stock ST couldn't beat a 328.
sounds like a drivers race to me.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I agree with this. I never underestimate the competition because 1) I do not know if they are modded 2) I do not know how competent the driver is. From the looks of it his 325 was bone stock and he was just an angry morning commuter who I assume thought very little of my ST so I figured I could probably pull on him...which thankfully I did. My biggest concern was my charge pipe popping off haha.

Oh well on to the next one! I honestly rarely get to run with anyone around here. Most people never want to sprint a bit.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I agree with this. I never underestimate the competition because 1) I do not know if they are modded 2) I do not know how competent the driver is. From the looks of it his 325 was bone stock and he was just an angry morning commuter who I assume thought very little of my ST so I figured I could probably pull on him...which thankfully I did. My biggest concern was my charge pipe popping off haha.

Oh well on to the next one! I honestly rarely get to run with anyone around here. Most people never want to sprint a bit.
Yesterday I ran a entirely blacked out (and super nice looking/clean) Nissan Altima 2.5 that some dude was in. I passed him calmly at 70 (in a 65) and as soon as I had a car length on him I saw him disappear back into my right blind spot and was like hey now that's not nice. I had to reel him back in using 5th gear since 4th ended quick, and it took a few seconds to reel him back in because he had a huge jump on me before I reacted that he floored it lol but I got him by like 4k into 5th gear and put a few cars on him before he backed off and gave a thumbs up out the window. I was fairly certain he was modded based on looks...but I've seen older women driving cars just like that. So when he jumped on me so quickly yesterday it was the perfect example of one that will surprise you.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yesterday I ran a entirely blacked out (and super nice looking/clean) Nissan Altima 2.5 that some dude was in. I passed him calmly at 70 (in a 65) and as soon as I had a car length on him I saw him disappear back into my right blind spot and was like hey now that's not nice. I had to reel him back in using 5th gear since 4th ended quick, and it took a few seconds to reel him back in because he had a huge jump on me before I reacted that he floored it lol but I got him by like 4k into 5th gear and put a few cars on him before he backed off and gave a thumbs up out the window. I was fairly certain he was modded based on looks...but I've seen older women driving cars just like that. So when he jumped on me so quickly yesterday it was the perfect example of one that will surprise you.
I don't know why, but I put the Altima in the same class as the Corolla...I just don;t think they are quick, but it seems lik everyone around here driving an Altima, Corolla S, or Civic SI thinks they can pull on anyone. Even with bolt on mods they are not fast.

The Altima has more displacement, I am not sure on weight, but I don;t know what mods would let them compete with us without going into big stuff like a turbo.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I don't know why, but I put the Altima in the same class as the Corolla...I just don;t think they are quick, but it seems lik everyone around here driving an Altima, Corolla S, or Civic SI thinks they can pull on anyone. Even with bolt on mods they are not fast.

The Altima has more displacement, I am not sure on weight, but I don;t know what mods would let them compete with us without going into big stuff like a turbo.
Weight is the reason for the slowness. They are over 4100lbs I'm pretty sure. Really nice, smooth cars, but yeah most drivers who are my age are douchebags in them. 2.5's do like a 7 second 0-60 and 15.5 or something...the 3.5's though are like 5.7s/14.5s cars so those are a little more formidable.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Was just playing with a 535i on the way home the other day. We had open road and were both gunning it. Wasn't an actual race as we were both kind of slowing down then speeding back up but we stayed side by side. I was actually pretty damn hype after.

·
Registered
554 Posts
TFW hanging with 250-300hp sedans and it feels good.

I stayed with a 2016 Chevy Impala, they have 305hp/280lb-ft. I didn't even know he was there as we were separated by a lifted pick up on a 3 lane road. I just decided to do a pull from a light and I see a 2016 Chevy Impala directly in line with me also doing a pull so I just kept going till he backed off.

Wonder how I'd do if that were a 2016 Cadillac CTS with a 335hp 3.5L V6

NA V6 make a lot of power these days.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts