Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm new on this forum, but not new to the fost. We purchased the car brand new in the beginning of 2014, it's fully bolted (cobb AP, catback, FMIC, intake, BOV, RMM, Strat tuned). So anywaysss here's my dilemma...

Down shifted to 4th went to do a little pull (i ease into the throttle) and all of the sudden, nothing. Eh, okay maybe something came loose...no. Double and triple checked everything because this has happened before as I'm sure you all know what this is like. But I knew this time was different, something is definitely wrong and i'm not sure if the turbo went or I'm looking at something a little more serious.
Heres what the car is doing:
The car will start, and goes into 1-6th just fine which leaves me to think it's not the transmission. But as far as acceleration, nothing. You have to be very careful giving the car any throttle because if you do the slightest bit too much you hear a thumping noise and the car goes no where. I'm lost, I will tear it apart tomorrow but any previous experience with this problem for a diagnosis would be great!

Thank you!

·
Registered
613 Posts
any other abnormal engine or other noises? Like idle or revving up a little with it parked? Or just normal driving. I had a coupler pop off and the car was super slow, zero boost. It make a bit of a loud noise, but it was clearly air whooshing, not a thumping sound.

Maybe a bad turbo like you said? In the grand scheme of things that wouldn't be too bad. I would try to replicate part of the issue with the car parked and a helper to try and figure out where the sound is coming from and go from there. I have one of those mechanic's stethoscopes which can be really handy in figuring out where sounds are coming from too.

Get a video too if you can.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm thinking, if it's just the turbo I'm cool with that I actually already have one on order. I haven't tried playing with it parked, I guess I'm just scared I'm really going to mess something up so I'll be taking it apart tomorrow. It almost feels like, you know if you ever drove an automatic car with a bad transmission if you hit the gas you can feel the car shuttering but doesn't go anywhere. That's kind of what it feels like. But I was told if it is the trans that the car wouldn't move at all.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
throwing any codes? Check your codes on your AP.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
It starts and idles fine?

Not really following your trouble shooting process/logic.
Post an audio/video clip/upload it to youtube, share it here.

Reactions: brian60

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Ill throw a hopefully easy one out there. Maybe broken/loose rear motor mount? Any throttle could result in too much torque which results in thumping?

Reactions: DeadlyBreakdown

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Sounds like a charge pipe blew off

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
+1 for check your charge pipes. Its the easiest thing to check and then go back from there if the pipes are on well.

Reactions: LuckyWelds

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: I triple checked the charge pipes and everything is 100% connected. It starts and idles fine, but when bringing up RPM's in neutral it still does the shuttering. It's getting really bad to drive, at all (i had to drive it to the garage). The turbo is building boost, over 10 psi, so it's going to the performance shop today to get looked at. I will post a video later tonight, that should help explain what I'm trying to say because I'm not very good with putting words together when it comes to this car lol Thank you guys for your help, after I post the video if anyone has any insight please feel free to share!

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Well, I'll be interested to hear what happened. I'll actually be in Pittsburgh this weekend with my ST. Maybe you'll see me driving around. Probably going to be the only one there with Kentucky plates lol.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Honestly it could be anything. Let us know what the shop says.

Reactions: littleyellowfost

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alright guys, you ready...here is what it was lol

so you know after we put all these parts on the car everyones like OMG YOU GOTTA GET SPARK PLUGS YOUR FREAKING CAR IS GOING TO EXPLODE INTO A MILLION PIECES!!! ehh, so we went and got plugs that ran colder and the little f***ers started misfiring. Now let me tell you how stupid i feel for not checking that. I went down to ripping the turbo off the car! lol. So guys, per my performance shop "if your tune does not call for colder plugs, don't get them". $162 later and i got me some OEM plugs back :)
LESSON LEARNED.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I'll be interested to hear what happened. I'll actually be in Pittsburgh this weekend with my ST. Maybe you'll see me driving around. Probably going to be the only one there with Kentucky plates lol.
I seen a black one with Cali plates on Thursday. I actually work at the Children's hospital downtown. There's quite a few of us in the area, don't be shy!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
alright guys, you ready...here is what it was lol

so you know after we put all these parts on the car everyones like OMG YOU GOTTA GET SPARK PLUGS YOUR FREAKING CAR IS GOING TO EXPLODE INTO A MILLION PIECES!!! ehh, so we went and got plugs that ran colder and the little f***ers started misfiring. Now let me tell you how stupid i feel for not checking that. I went down to ripping the turbo off the car! lol. So guys, per my performance shop "if your tune does not call for colder plugs, don't get them". $162 later and i got me some OEM plugs back :)
LESSON LEARNED.
Damn it, on lunch today I was going to reply and ask about your spark plugs since this happened once when my coil pack started going bad, almost identical symptoms, on my MkIV Jetta (biggest POS car I've ever owned), but I didn't reply because you said you were taking it to the shop lol. At the end of the day, problem solved and it was pretty cheap my man (or woman..) so that's good! Drink a beer!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Damn it, on lunch today I was going to reply and ask about your spark plugs since this happened once when my coil pack started going bad, almost identical symptoms, on my MkIV Jetta (biggest POS car I've ever owned), but I didn't reply because you said you were taking it to the shop lol. At the end of the day, problem solved and it was pretty cheap my man (or woman..) so that's good! Drink a beer!
All good dude, no worries! I guess we didn't think of it because any other time we've had a problem with the car it's been a disconnection somewhere. When it wasn't that and I started thinking about what the car was actually doing, my brain went into straight panic mode. I hope everyone gets a good laugh though :D

·
Registered
651 Posts
All good dude, no worries! I guess we didn't think of it because any other time we've had a problem with the car it's been a disconnection somewhere. When it wasn't that and I started thinking about what the car was actually doing, my brain went into straight panic mode. I hope everyone gets a good laugh though :D
You must have had a bad plug or bad gap. I installed a step colder completely stock and had absolutely no issue. Super weird.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts