Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took one of my sons to Chick filet and on the way back got the chance to get on it through 3rd a little bit out a back road. This thing just puts a smile on my face every time I get into the throttle. I know it's mostly stock and it's not putting out nearly as much power as some of your cars, but it still is a ton of fun. Definitely the most fun car I've owned in almost 2 decades.

Can't wait to get an intercooler on it and then get a tune installed. Hopefully this spring or summer...

·
Registered
405 Posts
I’m so torn on this.... Do I spend 19-20k for a ‘17-‘18 ST or do I basically double the price & pay 35k for an RS? I realize the ST is probably the better daily, but I’ve always wanted an AWD Hatch. Ugh......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
425 Posts
I’m so torn on this.... Do I spend 19-20k for a ‘17-‘18 ST or do I basically double the price & pay 35k for an RS? I realize the ST is probably the better daily, but I’ve always wanted an AWD Hatch. Ugh......

There will be pros and cons to each decision but you will be happy either way.

@rob99rt, i have these realizations weekly. I also am stock tune but have recently installed an intercooler, and while it might just be in my head (because i know what its doing now as far as lower IATs) but it does feel stronger in 3rd and 4th now. Such a fun car to drive. Cant wait to put summer tires back on so i can toss it into corners again.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

IMO, an RS is going to be a lot of fun off the line, but how long it that going to be fun once you burn through $1000 worth of tires on that first set and need to replace them? Higher insurance, lower gas mileage, potential issues with the 2.3 block, and much higher car payments.

The ST is a really fun daily driver. It's not the fastest thing on the road, for sure, and it's "wrong wheel drive" according to a lot of folks, but it accelerates well in 2nd and 3rd, and gets great mileage if you keep your foot out of it. It's an easy driver, hangs well in the corners, is pretty comfortable, and is a pretty good looking hatchback, I think. If I HAD the money to deal with the payments and potential issues, and didn't care as much about mileage, I would have seriously considered an RS. However, I think I made the right decision with an ST. The car is just a great fit for me.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
If it isn't going to put you in an uncomfortable budgetary position, go with what you've always wanted. It will make you feel better about your decision. On the other hand, there's only a few things that will suck the fun out of life more than having financial stress.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I am driving my 2018 ST3 Magnetic home from Phoenix, and the first leg, I'm getting 27 mpg cruising at 85 mph. If I could have afforded $10,000.00 more, I might have got an RS, but that's not the case. I plan on modding it mildly, and making it mine. If I was to mostly track an ST, I'd get and ST1 and go to town with it. Pipe dream? Maybe, but I really like this solid car.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am driving my 2018 ST3 Magnetic....
I was looking for a magnetic ST to match my magnetic Escape when I found the 18 ST1 in blue metallic I end up purchasing. Turns out the blue metallic is pretty rare around here. I've only spotted one other ST in that color in the last year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I was buying mine in 2018 everything was limited here. In 150 mile radius from me there were 2 black ones and 1 magnetic and they were all ST1. I would of loved to of had the blue metallic but at the time they were running a special on them at one of the dealerships and they had the magnetic one for $21,000 so I jumped on it. For me this car checked all the boxes; new, fun to drive, and good mpg. I've done a few upgrades and I'm currently running a stage 1 tune and I just upgraded the entire stereo system yesterday. I'm hoping to go stage 3 in the spring/summer with a custom jst tune. And maybe some different wheels. But all around I really enjoy driving this car and it always surprises people that it's as quick as it is.

·
Registered
147 Posts
401 posts!!!!! and you still haven't figured out what you're going to buy; much less bought yet!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Took one of my sons to Chick filet and on the way back got the chance to get on it through 3rd a little bit out a back road. This thing just puts a smile on my face every time I get into the throttle. I know it's mostly stock and it's not putting out nearly as much power as some of your cars, but it still is a ton of fun. Definitely the most fun car I've owned in almost 2 decades.

Can't wait to get an intercooler on it and then get a tune installed. Hopefully this spring or summer...
Woah woah woah, hold up. The LORD'S chicken is not simply Chick filet, it is Chick-fil-A. Hopefully you are not smitten for that atrocious spelling of thy name.

For real though, it's a great thing when a car puts a smile on your face after owning it for some time. It'll feel so much more alive with an intercooler and tune.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Woah woah woah, hold up. The LORD'S chicken is not simply Chick filet, it is Chick-fil-A. Hopefully you are not smitten for that atrocious spelling of thy name.

For real though, it's a great thing when a car puts a smile on your face after owning it for some time. It'll feel so much more alive with an intercooler and tune.
lol. auto-correct kicks my butt again...

Regarding the intercooler... Planning on getting a depo 3.5" unit to put on the ST and if that seems to help things a bit, I'm going to order up a second unit to put on my Escape. From what I remember, the intercoolers for the ST and Escape use the same part number. Can anybody confirm that?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
401 posts!!!!! and you still haven't figured out what you're going to buy; much less bought yet!
And he's got another 197 Posts on the RSforum too LMAO!!!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
lol. auto-correct kicks my butt again...

Regarding the intercooler... Planning on getting a depo 3.5" unit to put on the ST and if that seems to help things a bit, I'm going to order up a second unit to put on my Escape. From what I remember, the intercoolers for the ST and Escape use the same part number. Can anybody confirm that?
It looks like they use different intercoolers. The Escape part number is BV6Z-6K775-B , and the Focus part number is CV6Z-6K775-A.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My '17 ST with a midpipe and a tune is just a lot of fun. Having some nice cool weateher this weekend in Houston, the car puts a smile on your face..as long as you aren't trying to give it full throttle in 1st or second gear.. :). I enjoy my Focus, drives well, enough power to be entertaining and hold your own against a number of higher dollar cars along with decent fuel mileage..and I have GTR for stupid fast fun.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It looks like they use different intercoolers. The Escape part number is BV6Z-6K775-B , and the Focus part number is CV6Z-6K775-A.
Well that's really unfortunate... Thought they were the same part number. That Escape really needs a different intercooler. The stock one is horrible.

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
Just bought a 2018 Hot Pepper Red Focus ST, also rare around me have only seen one other one. Beyond pleased with the car though, for sure a great daily.
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I owned 14 ST2, owned 16RS1, and now 17RS1........I aint going back the tq vectoring is absurd, grip is amazing and al the drama u read about the 2.3 blocks is ridiculous. Im at 80K miles of intense canyon carving and repeated launches. RS is king, but ST cant be touched for cash. Period.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ditto on all accounts...as much as I would LOVE an RS, I’m just too dam cheap to pay double. I also stumbled into the platform like bignate did...21k out the door for a brand new ST1, but I quickly realized I like the options on the ST3, so I swapped. I’m gonna run this for a year or two, but the GT350 has my eyeball for my next daily 😬

That being said, the ST is one of the most comfortable daily drivers I have ever had...and I’ve had a few. My commute is about 300 miles each way, but I only do it once or twice a week. I have done this same drive in BMWs, twin turbo VR4s, C5 corvettes, Explorer Sports, F150s, and even an old Eagle Talon TSi...gimme the ST any day over all of them!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts