Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,198 Posts
I fixed the problem... took it to a shop so they could check all of the wiring harness connections for the power steering rack and they took it into the bay and were like yeah, your rack and pinion assembly needs to be replaced. Computer not communicating with the rack. Ao I'm like did they just plug it into the dam code reader? Cuz I could have told them that. I'm fed up at this point because i literally just paid the guy 85 bucks to tell me the powersteering isn't working. 😭 basically. But I'm like **** that. The guy told me it's about 2600 to get it replaced.. so I go home and let the car sit for a few hours. I'm like ok. It's nice and cool now so I start it up and wow the power steering works. Just like always. So I drive for about 15 min and it stops working. So I get it home and pop the hood get my leaf blower and a fan and put them full blast into the engine bag. Even poured some water on the power steering rack and it could down super fast. Turned the car back on and.... it worked again. So now I'm like wtf. I get some sheet metal and fab up my own heat shield and wrap it around the cat that's about 4 inches away and wrap some sheet metal around the power steering rack and boom... haven't had it stop working in 3 days!
This sounds for all the world like a failed solder joint. Your heat wrap solution may for for now, but its probably going to fail for good at some point. I'd use this bought time to track down a cheap rack.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts