Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't the biggest deal but I'm really debating with myself about mod options and could use some insight about how it all relates to different racing.

At first I had my eye on autox but I am worried that what I want to do to my car in the near future (already added fmic) would bump me to another class that wont allow me to be competitive with my driving abilities.
Upcoming mods I am planning are the AP/custom tune, DP and then Cat back a little later and probably a CAI. These will take me about 6 months since I save where I can and then buy.
After that will be suspension and traction mods hopefully including a LSD.
Further out I hope to go BT.
HP goals are(were) about to the 400whp range.

I have NO experience with real racing such as track or autox. No interest in drag racing at all. I love twisty roads but am careful to only push it so far as I am unwilling to endanger others because I want to play around...

SO, all that info and all I'm wondering is what should I get into given my mod goals? The SCCA rules are not the easiest read but I think I'd be way outclassed having a capable car and not enough experience.
I want to mod this car too and that has its importance to me.

Should I pursue tracking the car OR if I were to autox what would I need to add/remove from my list of mods?

Impatience is my biggest issue. I've been wanting to tune this car since I bought it in July but maybe that needs to wait?

What say you?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I really don't know the G-class rules, intercooler may be okay as long as there isn't a tune, I'm not sure. A good driver in a stock ST could beat and bad driver in a full bolt on ST in autocross. Try and get into an autox day, they're cheaper upfront than track days. There's also an autox sticky somewhere with some great info. I haven't been to either track or autox, but it seems that your class would only be to see where your time ends up. Autox is just you on the track so it's not like you'll be passed non stop. Your time is your time. Don't worry about being competitive, yet, worry about new personal bests each time you go out. Tracking the car also will require some safety mods that may not be necessary for autox, such as an oil cooler, definitely intercooler, brakes, etc. Personally, for me, even though best bang for the buck is a track day, I think autox is better to get the feet wet. It seems as though more beginners jump into that and I'm super self conscious about being the new guy and getting in the way and looking like the new guy so I'd feel more comfortable jumping into autox first

·
Registered
67 Posts
May not be a direct answer to your questions but....I think you are going to have to decide which takes priority: Being involved in some form of racing or building out your mod list.

From the competitive/racing perspective:
I would say hold off on additional mods at least until you can get in a couple of sessions of whatever type of competitive driving you would like to try. This will give you an idea about what direction you'd like to take and mods to support that. From there you can strategically work your way up through various classes building up driving skills to compliment your hardware then climbing the class ladder. This can be very rewarding.

General modification/ownership perspective:
Having just picked up the car in July and indicating your concern is with your skills rather than the car's ability, I think this backs the idea of just driving it the way it is for now. By pushing your experience (in a safe/responsible way) you will grow to better understand the limits of the car and learn what aspects of its performance you like and which you don't. Figuring out which limits your preferred driving style bumps up against can be your mod guide. You may find you would prefer to focus on handling to improve the windy road/autoX fun rather than building big HP numbers which may actually detract from the prior. On the other hand you may like the wide open road coarse and 1/2 mile back straights where big HP will pay off.
Though longer and requiring more patience I bet you end up happier with your build. You can also better appreciate each change you make and the difference you see/feel from it.

Disclaimer: This is my own opinion and your mileage may vary. I am sure there are those out there that go from stock to full on track beast in the course of a month and are fine with it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If your priority to is to be as competitive as possible, then hold off on the modifications. But if your priority is to just have fun, you'll have fun with either route you decide.

When first starting out, the biggest factor to your times will be getting experience and becoming a better driver. So any mods you do won't even help you much until you first improve the "driver mod".

I recommend getting some experience first and do at least one event with how the car is now, then you'll have a better idea of what you want to do.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really don't know the G-class rules, intercooler may be okay as long as there isn't a tune, I'm not sure. A good driver in a stock ST could beat and bad driver in a full bolt on ST in autocross. Try and get into an autox day, they're cheaper upfront than track days. There's also an autox sticky somewhere with some great info. I haven't been to either track or autox, but it seems that your class would only be to see where your time ends up. Autox is just you on the track so it's not like you'll be passed non stop. Your time is your time. Don't worry about being competitive, yet, worry about new personal bests each time you go out. Tracking the car also will require some safety mods that may not be necessary for autox, such as an oil cooler, definitely intercooler, brakes, etc. Personally, for me, even though best bang for the buck is a track day, I think autox is better to get the feet wet. It seems as though more beginners jump into that and I'm super self conscious about being the new guy and getting in the way and looking like the new guy so I'd feel more comfortable jumping into autox first
I didn't consider the safety mods that much. If an internal cage is necessary then I'm not interested in going that far. It's funny you mention being the new guy as my personality is very much the same. I view it as a hindrance personally as I will often opt out of doing what would likely be fun just to avoid being noticed.

STateOfChaos Wrote said:
From the competitive/racing perspective:
I would say hold off on additional mods at least until you can get in a couple of sessions of whatever type of competitive driving you would like to try. This will give you an idea about what direction you'd like to take and mods to support that. From there you can strategically work your way up through various classes building up driving skills to compliment your hardware then climbing the class ladder. This can be very rewarding.
This is a strong argument toward waiting. I'm impatient about modding, because it's just as fun to me as driving sometimes, however since I save for each mod anyways I'll still have the same money in the end to do more all at once should I choose.

Another thing I have to consider is additional insurance cost and the inherent risk involved with racing. I've not looked into that part yet so would appreciate any info you all have on that as well.

I really appreciate the good responses!

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
As a noob autocrosser, I've found nothing but wonderful, friendly people at the 5 events I ran this year. Get your feet wet here... the car is excellent bone stock. You'll learn a lot about this car and its limits, and from the more experienced folks at events. The first, most often asked question of me from autox strangers is, "Are you having fun?"

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
*Edit* Nevermind...I think I'm starting to figure out the autox classifications.

·
Registered
428 Posts
For GS class, the mods allowed are either the front or rear sway bar (only one not both) tires can go +/- 1 inch in diameter, tires must be a 200 treadwear or higher (I recommend Bridgestone potenza RE-71 255/40/17 on a 17x8 wheel), shocks and springs are allowed at stock ride height (I'm not 100% about this one) for the mods you have now you'll likely be allowed to run STX. I don't know much about the STX class to give any advice on that.

Some regions are pretty relaxed on mods, so if you have an FMIC on a stock tune, likely no one will care unless you start beating everyone.

All you really need is a helmet and a good attitude for autox.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.