Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! First off, let me say that I love this exhaust!! Ok, I created this thread to talk a little bit about the install process, and to give my opinions on this exhaust with my Stratified Loud crackles and pops all going through the stock downpipe. Below, I have embedded two videos from my YouTube channel for those of you who need more of a visual and to provide a bit more sound. I apologize in advance if the install portion of this thread is lacking as this is the first time I'm doing this. Feel free to ask me anything, and to check out the videos if it’s too vague.

Auto part Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Vehicle

Install was super easy, and I highly recommend that you use a lift to help with the over axle pipe. If you are installing from the stock exhaust then you will need to have two extra bolts in your possession to connect the new resonated front section to the downpipe. When installing from the stock exhaust system, you must first cut off the stock exhaust as it is all one piece. We made the cut right at the bend where the pipe comes back down (or goes up depending on how you look at it) from the rear axle. The nuts from the resonated section that connect to the downpipe were already loose. You will also see a cross bar that needs to be removed. It is held in place by T40 Torx screws.

Auto part Personal protective equipment Helmet Vehicle

Once the stock system was completely removed, we maneuvered the over axle pipe in place first and connected it to the hanger. From there the rear section was put in place by connecting it to the exhaust hangers. The resonated front section was then put in place and tighten down just a bit and connected to the over axle piece using the supplied Accu-Seal clamps. These two Accu-Seal clamps are how each individual pipe connects to one another.

Auto part Hand Automotive exterior Bumper Trunk

Once everything was in place, we then proceeded to tighten everything up. All Accu-Seal clamps need to be torqued to a minimum of 40lb-ft. The included T-bolt clamps are used to tighten up the exhaust tips. The great thing about this system is you can adjust how far out or in you want the tips to be before tightening down the clamps. I suggest you get it right the first time because it was a little harder for me to move the tips around the second time I tried to adjust them after having driven the vehicle home.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exterior

The two videos below will hopefully give you a better understanding as to how this exhaust sounds, but to put it shortly I love it! I’m not easily impressed, and when I first started the ST up and revved it a bit I was smiling from ear to ear. The sound is exactly what I want, and the pops and crackles sound great even with my stock DP still installed.

Compared to my muffler delete, this system is louder overall with a deeper tone to it. Where my muffler delete would stop producing a good sound higher in the rev range, this system continues to sound better and better. The pops and crackles are much louder and seem to correspond nicely to how aggressive I am driving. Just letting off the throttle has some nice burble sounds, but revving it all the way up then letting off will shoot some nice pops off.

As far as the loudness and drone, it’s not bad at all. Does the exhaust get loud…yes but it’s not unbearable and only makes its presence once you get on it. It also doesn’t drone to me. Yes, I can hear it while cruising, but it is a faint sound that easily gets overshadowed by the music I jam to while driving. Overall the Track Edition is exactly what I was looking for. It’s a quality stainless steel exhaust system that’s mandrel bent to maintain 3 inches all the way through. It looks great and more importantly it sounds wonderful.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
So, how close are your exhaust tips to the top of the bumper cutout? I have the non-resonated Touring edition, and the tips were very close to the top of the bumper. Have you experienced any melting/warping of the bumper?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, how close are your exhaust tips to the top of the bumper cutout? I have the non-resonated Touring edition, and the tips were very close to the top of the bumper. Have you experienced any melting/warping of the bumper?
It's funny because after installing that was our main concern. They are actually very close but no warp or melting so far. What about yours?

·
Registered
593 Posts
It's funny because after installing that was our main concern. They are actually very close but no warp or melting so far. What about yours?
I had the same concern with my Ford Performance exhaust but no issues yet! The upgraded exhaust hangers help stiffen it enough to not touch and melt anything.

Once I get outa work I can check out your youtube vids!

I'm a fan of AWE, their exhaust on my '15 5.0 is pretty savage!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the same concern with my Ford Performance exhaust but no issues yet! The upgraded exhaust hangers help stiffen it enough to not touch and melt anything.

Once I get outa work I can check out your youtube vids!

I'm a fan of AWE, their exhaust on my '15 5.0 is pretty savage!
Awesome hopefully you like the vids! I have a few helpful videos regarding programming the Sync 3 system and such. I love that Ford Performance exhaust. Eventually I will have to get upgraded hangers though for sure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It looks good. I kinda like the black exhaust tips better too. But I just can?t get over that fart sound. I looked up a buncha YouTube videos of how it sounds and I really don?t care for it. I?m having a hard time finding one that I like the sound of.

·
Registered
501 Posts
It looks good. I kinda like the black exhaust tips better too. But I just can?t get over that fart sound. I looked up a buncha YouTube videos of how it sounds and I really don?t care for it. I?m having a hard time finding one that I like the sound of.
I'm on the eastside (near Amelia) if you ever want to hear the CNT in person.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I still want to hear one in person. The speakers just don't do exhausts any justice.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yes I agree. When I edit these videos it does sound different. Very hard to capture the true sound.

This was my issue too. After all the videos on YouTube I decided on this. I think it doesn't have that fart sound in person but on video it is a bit different.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You?re probably right. Generally when I listen on YouTube for exhaust I use my senheiser headphone with a 6.5 plug into a really good sound card.
Just curious because I love headphones haha. Which ones do you use?

I wanted to add, @LJay71, I had watched several of your videos, I really enjoy them and your enthusiasm for the ST!
Thanks so much Dan!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Glad you like it LJay. I love mine too. I can add that I'm not having any issues with melting or any bumper damage. The factory tips were close too just not angled upward like some after market ones. And nothing about this exhaust sounds like a fart can in person hence why I finally bought one after seeing AWE released a system for the ST. I mean AWE makes exhaust for high end Mercedes, Audi, Porche, McClaren etc. I dont think they would be selling in that market if they were delivering fart sounding exhaust systems. I'm picky when it comes to exhaust on a four cylinder and the AWE is the best sounding one Ive heard in person.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts