Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok maybe I have a few words...

Have had my ST3 since late November. ~4500 miles on it so far and just started autocrossing two weekends ago (first time ever and I fell in love).

Unfortunately, a drunk driver smashed into my parked and unoccupied baby (no one was hurt).

I'm really really hoping it's totalled, otherwise I'm afraid it will never drive the same.
I'm attaching some pictures, what do you guys think, is it totalled?

What I know right now:
The rear axle is broken at the left wheel (obvious from pictures)
The front axle is broken at the right wheel (not obvious, but the car was up against a curb and a piece of the rim was snapped off)
Significant damage to the rear left side of the car (hopefully to the frame as well)

IMG_20170326_004944.jpg
IMG_20170326_004848.jpg
IMG_20170326_004844.jpg
IMG_20170326_004822.jpg

Front right wheel:
IMG_20170326_003803.jpg

Her car:
IMG_20170326_004813.jpg

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yikes!!! Glad you guys where not inside. I'm leaning towards a total loss because of the wheel/suspension damage. The reason I have doubts is that my wife's 2013 accord had the exact same damage as your car minus the wheel and suspension damage. They didn't give it a total loss, they cut us a check for new fender, bumpers, 2 new doors and the quarter panel piece. Hopefully the suspension damage will send it over the top for you.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Yeah that's a total suspension replacement and then some...plus the wheels are expensive as hell on top of the cost of parts/paint for what looks like the whole driver's side of the car and the passenger front. Just the fender alone in the front drivers side cost 1,400 for me to have fixed by my aunt's insurance when she backed into it...so imagine the suspension, wheels, doors, multiple fenders, etc. BIG bill.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thank god you are alive, drunks kill all the time.

Reactions: Dean the Machine

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oh no, that sucks so hard... your poor baby! I'm glad nobody was hurt.

I really hope they write it off for you; that is a LOT of damage.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
she apparently couldnt handle that Mercedes twin turbo power....sorry for your car, that sucks. I semi wish you luck in a total, since your looking at loads of parts in suspension and panels plus half the car on a respray, and god forbid any frame damage.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
she apparently couldnt handle that Mercedes twin turbo power....sorry for your car, that sucks. I semi wish you luck in a total, since your looking at loads of parts in suspension and panels plus half the car on a respray, and god forbid any frame damage.
If the frame is touched it'll be totaled. I kinda hope there is some in his case. It pushed the car over the curb after the impact so I'd see there being a tiny bit of frame damage pretty easily.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the well wishes.
My hope is that it is totaled. I don't want to have a car that had this serious of an accident at 4500 miles.
If it isn't totaled, my plan is to file for diminished value and then maybe trade it in for a new 2017 ST3. I love this car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As a previous insurance claims adjuster i would have to say you have a good chance of it being totaled because from the pics it looks like frame damage plus a new read end basically ( easily going to be 9,000 on that car). I would start looking for a new baby to replace her, to bad it looks like it was in great shape!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
As a previous insurance claims adjuster i would have to say you have a good chance of it being totaled because from the pics it looks like frame damage plus a new read end basically ( easily going to be 9,000 on that car). I would start looking for a new baby to replace her, to bad it looks like it was in great shape!
Focus RS time

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, I got a pretty good deal on this car ~$24,500 before taxes (came out to ~$28,900 after taxes) for the ST3 package + rims and sunroof. I've already started looking for another deal, but that was an end of the year November deal.
As a previous insurance claims adjuster, about how much should I expect to get if it is totaled?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sorry for your car. Looks like it was hit pretty hard to push it over the curb. I would also say it´s totalled, looks really expensive to repair with a high risk the car will never running straight again. Hope you get everything payed.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
When i got rear ended, the crash bar wasnt damaged but it went through the bumper plastic, through the guys front bumper, and tore the whole front of his car off lol.
Just my rear valance and crash bar ran $3000. You have to expect that with at least 2 wheels, and the 3 panels, your looking at 10K+ ... then the whole suspension.. another 5-6K with labor... then if there is any minor frame concerns and having to rack the frame, will be even more. Its hard to think this thing will come in any less then 18K damages.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Im sure that kind of impact on the front didn't do your trans any favors either. Hope it works out for you. Too bad drunks dont have to pay for repairs outta pocket(reimburse insurance companies). Might make some people think again if it could cost them more than an insurance increase.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm getting worried that "Fair Market Value" isn't going to be enough for me to buy another new FoST.
I put 10k down and have a loan that started at ~18k (currently at 16,500 ish).
Anyone know if I can sue for the difference, or any other options I might not be aware of?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ugh, the depreciation. Wonder if there would be an option to find a lightly used one with similar KM's. And they still better give compensation on top of that because you're forced to settle for something possibly lesser and/or not the color you want etc.

Even if they do replace that suspension and go to align it and find out they can't get it back to a safe spec they would have wasted time/money fixing it just for it to not be fit for road use. I definitely see this as totaled when they go to weigh the risk.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So, I got a pretty good deal on this car ~$24,500 before taxes (came out to ~$28,900 after taxes) for the ST3 package + rims and sunroof. I've already started looking for another deal, but that was an end of the year November deal.
As a previous insurance claims adjuster, about how much should I expect to get if it is totaled?
It's not all about amount of damage, it also has to be a safe car after the repairs because they still will be your insurance. Your best hope if you want it to be totaled pray for frame and core support damage. Also if your pilar got twisted or anything it'll be a good chance

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'd say it's totaled. The head lights alone are around 3. To 4 grand. Our ST 3 was rear ended. Replaced bumper rear valence, rear crash bar, rear subframe, rear hatch, rear trunk floorpan. Muffler alone was 659.00 then paint and alignment. Was almost 11000 dollars they fixed it. I got a very top rate shop. I'd say you're is around 15000 +.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts