Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First some history. Got my ST this past July 4th. I was somewhat into off roading prior to but had sold my rig months before. Also I had an 04 civic coupe as a daily. The civic wasn't anything special as far as performance but was a MT and was fun to drive.
The ST is my first performance oriented ride and I've been very pleased with it.

Now to the point. I live in southern KY and, because of the ST, have developed a new appreciation for the stupid twisty fun roads I have available to me. There are multiple choices of what roads to take to work each morning and one in particular is filled with curvy goodness. One turn in particular is basically a switchback with elevation and reveals the weakness of no LSD as it's nearly impossible to not spin unless I take it real slow.
Disclaimer for those who care...I stay on my side and I am not endangering anyone by cutting corners or taking needless risk with too much speed. On the contrary, I don't have to break the speed limit to enjoy these roads.

No real point to this post I don't guess but I'm really digging this cars abilities. I've been debating as to whether or not to get the quaife diff as a first mod but that is a detailed/costly install that I can't do myself.

Anyways, to have a point, what kinds of roads do you have available where you are?

Reactions: fretburnr

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm in the Chicago area. We have mostly straight, flat roads, lined with potholes, so I get my fix by autocrossing and doing track days.

I ache for roads like yours!

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I'm from Michigan, where we have the absolute worst roads in the country. I'll bet Afghanistan has better roads than us.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm from Michigan, where we have the absolute worst roads in the country. I'll bet Afghanistan has better roads than us.
We went to the UP for our 20th anniversary last year and the country is amazingly beautiful...but your roads are indeed boring. Sorry man.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Lucky you! The ST is perfect for those roads, not the highway pulls to 140 most are trying to set the car up for. Look into MFactory LSDs, they're priced better than Quaife. There's a thread around here where you can PM their rep for pricing.

·
Registered
2015 ST3, no sunroof, Koenig Oversteers
254 Posts
Central Ohio is devoid of the heavenly strips of pavement you describe. But southeastern Ohio is a little slice of heaven and every now and then I have enjoyed them in my ST.

Reactions: Joshua

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
We went to the UP for our 20th anniversary last year and the country is amazingly beautiful...but your roads are indeed boring. Sorry man.
I was actually referring to the very poor road conditions, especially in SE MI.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have some decent roads, but generally they have a mini van or pick up doing 5 under the limit on them. I'm just not that guy that passes in a double yellow zone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
First some history. Got my ST this past July 4th. I was somewhat into off roading prior to but had sold my rig months before. Also I had an 04 civic coupe as a daily. The civic wasn't anything special as far as performance but was a MT and was fun to drive.
The ST is my first performance oriented ride and I've been very pleased with it.

Now to the point. I live in southern KY and, because of the ST, have developed a new appreciation for the stupid twisty fun roads I have available to me. There are multiple choices of what roads to take to work each morning and one in particular is filled with curvy goodness. One turn in particular is basically a switchback with elevation and reveals the weakness of no LSD as it's nearly impossible to not spin unless I take it real slow.
Disclaimer for those who care...I stay on my side and I am not endangering anyone by cutting corners or taking needless risk with too much speed. On the contrary, I don't have to break the speed limit to enjoy these roads.

No real point to this post I don't guess but I'm really digging this cars abilities. I've been debating as to whether or not to get the quaife diff as a first mod but that is a detailed/costly install that I can't do myself.

Anyways, to have a point, what kinds of roads do you have available where you are?
Having grown up in Owensboro, Kentucky there are plenty of long/flat roads to be had, but it only takes one wrong turn to find yourself on a hilly, curvy piece of heaven! Even here in the Washington-Baltimore corridor, there are plenty of curvy roads, just have to watch for all the driveways.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I live in the Texas Hill Country, about 75 miles west of Austin. Plenty of great roads here, many roads with abundant twists and turns, and hilly terrain, where I can have fun with either the ST or my Yamaha FZ-10 motorcycle. Roads are mostly deserted during the week and not many potholes. My main complaint is the general rough surface of the roads, most have a chip seal surface which isn't the most quiet road surface. It also wears tires faster. But overall good roads for having fun. No real complaints.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great roads to explore here on weekends as well. I live in the eastern part of the Twin Cities metro area (Minneapolis / St Paul MN)... about a 40 minute drive to what is called the Driftless Area. An area largely untouched by the glaciers of the last ice age. Instead of the flat land that mostly surrounds it, the Driftless Area is full of hills, bluffs, small mountains and many river valleys in western Wisconsin, southeastern Minnesota, northeastern Iowa and northwestern Illinois.

The terrain in many places made it difficult or impossible to build flat and straight roads. In western Wisconsin especially, there are tons of paved country roads that have very little traffic or law enforcement vehicles on them either. I have been exploring these roads for years on motorcycles and have begun doing so with my ST as well. First car I have had that can be really fun on these roads. Some of these country roads aren't in the best shape but most are absolutely fantastic for riding / driving and the scenery can be stunningly beautiful at times. Can't wait for the leaves to change color this fall.

These types of roads suit the Focus ST well. In my opinion that is what Ford had in mind when they designed this car.

·
Registered
455 Posts
We have tons of really fun canyons to carve here in Socal.. Got to find the right time to hit them, unfortunately theres also tons of traffic congestion..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have some decent roads, but generally they have a mini van or pick up doing 5 under the limit on them. I'm just not that guy that passes in a double yellow zone.
+1 No regard for other people's safety, happends all the time around here.

I live in the Texas Hill Country, about 75 miles west of Austin. Plenty of great roads here, many roads with abundant twists and turns, and hilly terrain, where I can have fun with either the ST or my Yamaha FZ-10 motorcycle. Roads are mostly deserted during the week and not many potholes. My main complaint is the general rough surface of the roads, most have a chip seal surface which isn't the most quiet road surface. It also wears tires faster. But overall good roads for having fun. No real complaints.
I lived in Fredericksburg several years ago, I remember the great roads. We use to take the one up to Luckenbach all the time lol. The drinking age was 18 at the time, pitching washers and drinking Schlitz, I thought I was in heaven lol.

My son in law has a FZ-9, very fun,very!

We have tons of really fun canyons to carve here in Socal.. Got to find the right time to hit them, unfortunately theres also tons of traffic congestion..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is so much traffic out here these days about the only time you can have any fun is late at night or early morning. I don't care much for driving down there in the day time.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I live in the Bronx where the roads suck and there's a stop sign every 100 yards!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm over in Germany, home of the Autobahn and Nurburgring. The other roads are like go kart tracks. For a small fee you are allowed to drive on the Nurburgring, I'm not sure I'll have the cajones for that. Only problem, my car is being shipped from the states and isn't here yet. 2-3 weeks...sigh.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts