Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods are intercooler and tune. I have 3 "custom" etunes (a few revisions) from stratified, mountune, and freek. When comparing all of them, the cobb 91 canned tune feels the strongest and has the least negative corrections. Any idea why this is? I figured the other tunes would feel a lot better. I've had all these tunes for over a year so I keep going through all of them constantly and always end up going back to cobb.

Per vdyno, all give me similar numbers, but cobb feels the best. I also get the best MPG with cobb.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My guess is "strongest" has to do with how each tuner modifies the throttle mapping. Cobb may have a more aggressive setting on it which makes it feel faster, even if they are all putting out the same amount of power. The same is on the RS where several people complain how normal mode is low on power and has "turbo lag" but sport or track is much faster. You may be interested in trying out Stratified's new aggressive throttle mapping if that is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess is "strongest" has to do with how each tuner modifies the throttle mapping. Cobb may have a more aggressive setting on it which makes it feel faster, even if they are all putting out the same amount of power. The same is on the RS where several people complain how normal mode is low on power and has "turbo lag" but sport or track is much faster. You may be interested in trying out Stratified's new aggressive throttle mapping if that is what you are looking for.
I have stratified's aggressive throttle tune also, which is the main reason I made this thread. After using that one too, cobb feels the best still.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have air filter and FMIC only on 93. I can tell you my strat tune definitely has more power in the mid range. I would assume Cobb has the least neg corrections because its less boost/more conservative. I don't have good apples to apples vdyno for all of them though.

Are you at -1 OAR on all tunes? Strat takes way longer to reach -1 as they change the behavior and response of OAR.

In your case, the 91 octane may be the limiting factor and why the pro tunes aren't giving you much gain over OTS.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I have air filter and FMIC only on 93. I can tell you my strat tune definitely has more power in the mid range. I would assume Cobb has the least neg corrections because its less boost/more conservative. I don't have good apples to apples vdyno for all of them though.

Are you at -1 OAR on all tunes? Strat takes way longer to reach -1 as they change the behavior and response of OAR.

In your case, the 91 octane may be the limiting factor and why the pro tunes aren't giving you much gain over OTS.
First of all, this ^

And other than that, remember that like @Ayada said, throttle mapping makes a huge difference. As well as each tune has it's own torque curve based on how it puts out power. Honestly the stock tune has more off the line torque than my Stratified tune (v7.1 so it's still linear) but that is okay with me because I get better traction (plus their awesome TC) and then make way more power where it matters in the mid range. The Cobb OTS tunes are kinda built to impress I think..so you buy an accessport off of them and are happy with their extremely aggressive maps instead of going to a tuner. However, once you discover the gains made by tuners (which are higher in RPM and more beneficial believe it or not) you realize the Cobb maps aren't all their cracked up to be.

Higher MPG is probably because it's making less boost/power tbh. Corrections might be because you use garbage 91 fuel, and the tuner specific tunes are undoubtably more aggressive than the Cobb OTS maps (again, they are made to go on EVERY ST...so they are generic and not aggressive to make sure they work on as many vehicles as possible) which is what the guy above me ended with.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First of all, this ^

And other than that, remember that like @Ayada said, throttle mapping makes a huge difference. As well as each tune has it's own torque curve based on how it puts out power. Honestly the stock tune has more off the line torque than my Stratified tune (v7.1 so it's still linear) but that is okay with me because I get better traction (plus their awesome TC) and then make way more power where it matters in the mid range. The Cobb OTS tunes are kinda built to impress I think..so you buy an accessport off of them and are happy with their extremely aggressive maps instead of going to a tuner. However, once you discover the gains made by tuners (which are higher in RPM and more beneficial believe it or not) you realize the Cobb maps aren't all their cracked up to be.

Higher MPG is probably because it's making less boost/power tbh. Corrections might be because you use garbage 91 fuel, and the tuner specific tunes are undoubtably more aggressive than the Cobb OTS maps (again, they are made to go on EVERY ST...so they are generic and not aggressive to make sure they work on as many vehicles as possible) which is what the guy above me ended with.

Makes sense, but honestly I'm not even talking about off the line torque. Mountune and freek seems to have MUCH more immediate power than cobb. What impressed me about cobb is how I can still get traction in 2nd gear and then it pulls like crazy in the mid range. When I floor all from about 3k RPM's in 3rd gear, cobb doesn't have the most immediate "HOLY ****" pull, but starts pulling hard as the RPM's rise.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Makes sense, but honestly I'm not even talking about off the line torque. Mountune and freek seems to have MUCH more immediate power than cobb. What impressed me about cobb is how I can still get traction in 2nd gear and then it pulls like crazy in the mid range. When I floor all from about 3k RPM's in 3rd gear, cobb doesn't have the most immediate "HOLY ****" pull, but starts pulling hard as the RPM's rise.
So the mountune and freek make more immediate power, and the cobb gets better traction and pulls in the midrange and cobb also doesn't have the most immediate HOLY **** pull?

Looking at that, and how the cobb FEELS faster in 2nd gear and midrange. I would say the cobb makes LESS power than all of them and because of that it hooks up better thus FEELING faster.

I bet ya it acutally isn't.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
So the mountune and freek make more immediate power, and the cobb gets better traction and pulls in the midrange and cobb also doesn't have the most immediate HOLY **** pull?

Looking at that, and how the cobb FEELS faster in 2nd gear and midrange. I would say the cobb makes LESS power than all of them and because of that it hooks up better thus FEELING faster.

I bet ya it acutally isn't.
This is also why a lot of Civic Si's pull on us off the line ^ because we are too busy spinning in our modded and tuned powerful Foci lol once we hook it's all over.

·
Registered
393 Posts
OP i have wondered this too. I have an fswerks 93 stage 1 tune and the cobb stage 1 ots tune feels stronger especially when on the interstate or any on ramp. Maybe when i go stage 2 things will change? I have new extreme contacts that hook really well so spinning hasn't been a big issue.

·
Vendor
104 Posts
First question, how far along are you in on your Freek tune? Base map or done?

Speaking for Freek, MPG is never a goal, unless you request it lol. We like power.

What exactly are you feeling being better? Knowing some of the tables in the tunes, Cobb has some flukes that prevent some power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
104 Posts
Added note, not saying your wrong! Just curious to see why your feeling this haha. First time ive heard someone say a Cobb OTS map feels stronger.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First question, how far along are you in on your Freek tune? Base map or done?

Speaking for Freek, MPG is never a goal, unless you request it lol. We like power.

What exactly are you feeling being better? Knowing some of the tables in the tunes, Cobb has some flukes that prevent some power.

I believe I'm done. I have two revisions and he said it looks good. I'm still getting more negative corrections than I'm comfortable with though.

The freek tune feels about as powerful as the Cobb tune, just with more corrections.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
All im going to say is that Traction and control wins races, Power does not.
i bet you're a blast at parties.
More power with an actual brain to be able to control it = wins more races. Not everyone can jump in a 10 second car and put down a better time than a 12 second car, but put someone who knows what they're doing in one and that changes lol.

·
Registered
331 Posts
More power with an actual brain to be able to control it = wins more races. Not everyone can jump in a 10 second car and put down a better time than a 12 second car, but put someone who knows what they're doing in one and that changes lol.
Finally. Someone that sees that power is not everything

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Finally. Someone that sees that power is not everything

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
I was disagreeing with you.

Edit: I was saying, make more power it just takes more control. Nothing wrong with making more power with a better tune if you are smart enough to use it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts