Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2013 focus ST and I bought it with about 30k miles on it. The guy before me had stage 2 bolt ons stock turbo and had a pro-cal tune on it. A couple weeks after the tune he lost compression in all 4 cylinders and found out that, according to the ford tech, the rings failed. So the owner was able to get a brand new long block. Put it in and took everything off of it to sell. So this is when I bought it. I put a ford racing cat back exhaust, ford racing lowering springs, and ford racing short throw shifter on it. Then I bought a brand new Pro-cal tuner from ford performance, I put it on and less than a week later I had a ring fail during autocross, and it took out the bottom side of the number 1 piston. So it was under warranty because the tuner was installed by ford with a warranty. So I got a new short block and took the tune off and threw it in the trash.

I'm scared to do anything to this car now. If anyone has any input that might help me overcome my fear please help. Thanks.

·
Registered
862 Posts
There are many people that have been perfectly fine there have been people that have had problem like you and I. The only advise that I would be able to offer to you would be to get rid of the procal and get an apv3 and then have a actual company tune the car for your mods. That would be your best bet. Always remember when you start adding parts the chances of things failing start to rise.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Newish long block and new short block....and you're worried?

Get yourself a safe reliable tune and drive it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There are many people that have been perfectly fine there have been people that have had problem like you and I. The only advise that I would be able to offer to you would be to get rid of the procal and get an apv3 and then have a actual company tune the car for your mods. That would be your best bet. Always remember when you start adding parts the chances of things failing start to rise.
What are your thoughts on something like a Mountune MP275 kit? It always seemed like a safe tune, but I don't really know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really like that kit!!! And it doesn't void warranty!! Awesome. I'll give it a shot thank you!

And just for giggles what does a set of pistons and rods run for this thing and what brand should I go with?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The kit from montune doesn't even come close to the max of the stock motor. I feel like I just had a crap tune. People say these things can go up to 350hp stock safely. I think I'm going to get the montune kit!

·
Registered
862 Posts
To be honest it depends on you. Right now my motor is being built to support the mods that I have and the mods I want to do in the future. Not to come off like a d but the others are right if you want to take the leap and make some power you have to look at the possibilities of having to have a motor built from a shop like speed and dead hook and the other companies like that. Speed is in nj but will ship parts to where ever you want dead hook is in mi but will ship parts as well. I pieced together my own set up and I am having a performance shop close to me do all of the machining and assembly work. The harder you push the more of a risk you are going to have to take. There are loads of people on here that are running bt setups on meth and are having no problems. You just have to figure out what is going to work for you. So, back to your question about the mp275 kit. l thing it would be good for someone that wants to play it safe but if you are like any other car guy including myself you will always want more. I have never worked with that company so I don't have a personal review. Every one has problems I toasted 2 motors within 15 thousand miles so in my head there was nothing left to do but to build it, now I am having a hard time deciding to stick with my gtx2867 or to go with a 3071. This was said to me when I start adding parts by some other forum members "remember you can't expect for the dealership to pay for your parts every time something goes wrong." And they were right I looked at it like what the hell I put a big turbo on my car and beat the snot out it before it was even finished being tuned and it went bang. My first thought was ok well if I flash it back to stock and put all the stock parts back on it maybe they won't know and they will put another motor in it. It comes to a point where you just have to own what you are doing ya know... You want your warranty then play it safe and you can have fun; but if you want to play wth the big dogs then you need to have the wallet to support that bad habit.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Why are you racing a tuned car without an upgraded intercooler? That very well may have helped your ring failure occur

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yea your probably right. This time I'm not cheaping out going with a full kit from montune. Going to play it safe. I want it to still be a daily.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I really like that kit!!! And it doesn't void warranty!! Awesome. I'll give it a shot thank you!

And just for giggles what does a set of pistons and rods run for this thing and what brand should I go with?

Yeah, I hear it really wakes the car up, even though it's not a huge increase in numbers. I don't drive my ST real hard anyway. I'm more of a canyon curve carver kind of driver so this tune sounds perfect to me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
To be honest it depends on you. Right now my motor is being built to support the mods that I have and the mods I want to do in the future. Not to come off like a d but the others are right if you want to take the leap and make some power you have to look at the possibilities of having to have a motor built from a shop like speed and dead hook and the other companies like that. Speed is in nj but will ship parts to where ever you want dead hook is in mi but will ship parts as well. I pieced together my own set up and I am having a performance shop close to me do all of the machining and assembly work. The harder you push the more of a risk you are going to have to take. There are loads of people on here that are running bt setups on meth and are having no problems. You just have to figure out what is going to work for you. So, back to your question about the mp275 kit. l thing it would be good for someone that wants to play it safe but if you are like any other car guy including myself you will always want more. I have never worked with that company so I don't have a personal review. Every one has problems I toasted 2 motors within 15 thousand miles so in my head there was nothing left to do but to build it, now I am having a hard time deciding to stick with my gtx2867 or to go with a 3071. This was said to me when I start adding parts by some other forum members "remember you can't expect for the dealership to pay for your parts every time something goes wrong." And they were right I looked at it like what the hell I put a big turbo on my car and beat the snot out it before it was even finished being tuned and it went bang. My first thought was ok well if I flash it back to stock and put all the stock parts back on it maybe they won't know and they will put another motor in it. It comes to a point where you just have to own what you are doing ya know... You want your warranty then play it safe and you can have fun; but if you want to play wth the big dogs then you need to have the wallet to support that bad habit.
Thank you for that explanation, it makes sense.

·
Registered
660 Posts
IMO the days of set it and forget are long gone. If you aren't ready to install something that can display critical parameters and then watch those parameters relative to variables (gas quality, temp, poor shifting choices, etc) then you have no business tuning a car. The stock life or only bolt ons that don't need a tune are the way to go. The Ford Pro Cal is a caveman tool in terms of tuning a vehicle and doesn't give you much ability to monitor what's important. Nor does it promote the situation of communicating with a tuner that could really advise you or make necessary adjustments if things are going wrong.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have 42k on my 2013 and have been running the ford racing tune since 20k miles. I haven't had any issues at all. Maybe just some bad luck you had?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have 42k on my 2013 and have been running the ford racing tune since 20k miles. I haven't had any issues at all. Maybe just some bad luck you had?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Maybe. It was the same tuner both times. I'm just guessing it was a corrupted tune... how do you drive yours?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts