Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't really research this before hand and now I feel kind of stupid but did I waste my money or is this an actual beneficial modification :$

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Didn't really research this before hand and now I feel kind of stupid but did I waste my money or is this an actual beneficial modification :$
No benefit to increase HP. May be a higher quality depending on which you bought.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No benefit to increase HP. May be a higher quality depending on which you bought.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I knew there would be no kind of horsepower gain...but this is the one I bought here:

http://http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Product-Categories/Ford-Kompact-BOVs/BOV-Kompact-Shortie-Dual-Port.html

I was just reading this online is this true for focus st's ?

"What is the purpose of a BOV/BPV? When the throttle closes and the intake system is under pressure, the high-pressure air entering the motor will bump into the closed throttle plate, and in the absence of a BOV/BPV, a pressure wave will travel back to the turbocharger. The result is that the compressor wheel will stall (a phenomenon known as “compressor surge”) and slow down very quickly. This is hard on the bearings and decreases the turbo’s lifespan, but it also means the turbo will take longer to spin up the next time the throttle is opened."

·
Registered
3,616 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I love my JBR cold side charge pipe kit with the Tial Q BOV. Definitely only a sound maker as everyone has said above but I plan on going big turbo in the future so I'll need it anyway. And I feel like I get a more natural sounding blow off with the Tial anyway. More of a sneeze. Sounds really good and definitely a head turner. All the other bov's like the turbosmart, boomba, etc sound really fake to me and kept blowing off randomly or when I wasn't even in boost. I ran a turbosmart 50/50 before upgrading, definitely worth it though!!

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
The benefit to the mod is the factory BPV is flimsy and runs a high possibility of not holding the boost consistently.
You're good, not a bad place to start. Making sure that the equipment is there is functioning as it should.

Suggestions would be an AP and Intercooler. Biggest bang for your buck.
Then hop on with a reputable tuner for lifetime tunes as long as they let you add your mods up to stage 3 without paying extra.

Typically you'll have to pay some more when you go big turbo / wmi / aux fuel.

Cheers!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The benefit to the mod is the factory BPV is flimsy and runs a high possibility of not holding the boost consistently.
You're good, not a bad place to start. Making sure that the equipment is there is functioning as it should.

Suggestions would be an AP and Intercooler. Biggest bang for your buck.
Then hop on with a reputable tuner for lifetime tunes as long as they let you add your mods up to stage 3 without paying extra.

Typically you'll have to pay some more when you go big turbo / wmi / aux fuel.

Cheers!
Thanks for the info, appreciate it! :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
I just wanted the noise as I live in a place where seemingly everyone tries to outdo the next persons obnoxiousness and it's almost welcomed, especially the Friday and Saturday evenings where it's crawling with tuner cars here. Is there any other car that has a blow off as ridiculous as a Boomba (or even Turbosmart 50/50 which is what I run as well) on a Focus ST?

Been over a year now and the novelty still hasn't worn off...not one bit. I've had people say it sounds sweet between shifts during spirited driving. Puts a smile on my face, my passengers, and any car enthusiast/savvy pedestrians.

Everyone else are miserable 9-5 mundane folks coping with the fact they decided to "upgrade" from perfectly fine cars, to FWD (or mostly FWD) SUV compacts they got ripped off on when all they really are is a lifted hatch with 140hp.

Reactions: BlueHaloGirl

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just wanted the noise as I live in a place where seemingly everyone tries to outdo the next persons obnoxiousness and it's almost welcomed, especially the Friday and Saturday evenings where it's crawling with tuner cars here. Is there any other car that has a blow off as ridiculous as a Boomba (or even Turbosmart 50/50 which is what I run as well) on a Focus ST?

Been over a year now and the novelty still hasn't worn off...not one bit. I've had people say it sounds sweet between shifts during spirited driving. Puts a smile on my face, my passengers, and any car enthusiast/savvy pedestrians.

Everyone else are miserable 9-5 mundane folks coping with the fact they decided to "upgrade" from perfectly fine cars, to FWD (or mostly FWD) SUV compacts they got ripped off on when all they really are is a lifted hatch with 140hp.
I like the way you look at things lol. I agree with you I do like the sound of it...it is kind of obnoxious and I'm sure when I drive by people they think "what a douche" but as long as I enjoy it that's all that matters right? :D
I just wanted to know if there were any advantages to having one installed besides the fact that an aftermarket valve is much more solid as far as design goes.

·
Registered
224 Posts

^^^THIS is exactly why I love my Boomba BOV...the noise!!! I love the look I get from pedestrians and other drivers with their windows down!! The novelty has not worn off at all...that's why I got the most obnoxious one I could find!!! Next up is an exhaust just as crazy!!! Ditto on the way it gets welcomed at he massive tuner car meets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts