Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Oxford White ST3
106 Posts
Regret it? Doubtful... First time you get the OK from the tuner to open it up on a 60% or higher WGDC setting, it'll put a grin on your face that won't wipe off for a while. 75% or higher is more like "holy tirespin through 80 mph, batman!"

If the motor is still healthy and you don't get TOO crazy with it, it'll likely be just fine. How's your clutch, though?
Still have the OEM clutch assembly and it's doing fine. Up until a few weeks ago had the original brake pads too. I was very surprised at the amount of pad material they still had left on them. Car was primarily highway driven, two hour work commute per day.

But yeah, I've had several people tell me how much more fun the car will be with the upgraded turbo. Hope to experience that in a couple weeks. Should have around 350HP when done.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
You better find some wood to knock on, @Shadow... you used post 666 to brag about going 188K miles on the stock clutch.
Of course I would... I'm hoping it will last till my motor build is done. I picked up a non running ST about a month ago finally got the Title tags insurance and mechanical issues taken care of so I've got a spare for now. only real issues I have had was a wheel bearing and i replaced the axels due to a torn boot on cv joint threw most the grease out of it. I think the thermostatic expansion valve is starting to stick here and there but I'll just replace it when I swap motors.

·
Vendor
379 Posts
Yeah you're always going to see more of "I hAvE a PrOBLem" vs someone ranting and raving about how issue free their car has been.

Since my ST has seen mostly track use over the last 10k miles, I do have some parts failures I don't really see too often or are more common for much higher mileage STs. I've only got like 33k total on the car. That being said, overall it's been super reliable and I push the living sh!t out of the car. I do maintain it very well though.

·
Registered
2016 Magnetic Metallic ST3
388 Posts
Another thing to remember is that when one person has a problem, they often bump up a handful of threads with similar issues. In some cases they are troubleshooting a vague issue, and bumping a variety of threads all at once, it can make it seem like an epidemic if one or two people are doing it at the same time lol.

My own anecdote is that my car has only had annoying problems; transient misfire codes and a sound symposer that would stick open or closed periodically. (for the short period of weeks that kept it on) Otherwise its two years of just fluids and filters.

When it comes to modding, it isn't a blanket negative, its more about understanding the trade offs and applying the ones that make sense for your situation.
Building a racecar with your financed single vehicle that you need for your job is generally a bad idea lol.

·
Registered
2018 focus st
28 Posts
The only problem I've had so far in the 3 years 38k miles is randomly the car will get stuck on defrost and will not come off it for a while. I just have to play with the buttons for like ten minutes then it will fix itself, Other than that it's been solid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The only problems I’ve ever had were from modifying it. The car overall seems pretty reliable when people leave it stock. I’m sure not everyone will agree lol
Fully agreed. I'm surprised how well built it is stock. It's pretty damn durable for a small car that gets pushed. Also. Nearing 70k with no issues. Of course many people tinker these cars and a 2L 4C can only take so much tweaking without F1 level engineering and money.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts