Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2017 ST
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what’s up guys , I haven’t been on here in awhile. I’m noticing a lot of people are running into lots of problems with theses cars it’s kinda crazy. Almost every other post I see there’s a issue… Is it time to get rid of the ST an move on to something different or is it worth the headaches lol im getting kinda scared I’m at 70K miles so far.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So what’s up guys , I haven’t been on here in awhile. I’m noticing a lot of people are running into lots of problems with theses cars it’s kinda crazy. Almost every other post I see there’s a issue… Is it time to get rid of the ST an move on to something different or is it worth the headaches lol im getting kinda scared I’m at 70K miles so far.
The only problems I’ve ever had were from modifying it. The car overall seems pretty reliable when people leave it stock. I’m sure not everyone will agree lol

·
Registered
2017 ST
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only problems I’ve ever had were from modifying it. The car overall seems pretty reliable when people leave it stock. I’m sure not everyone will agree lol
Yeah I agree with you. After you modify anything can go wrong. Iv been pretty lucky but haven’t gone to deep into modification aspect. Access port,intercooler,exhaust,downpipe,intake,filter ,JST tune on pump gas.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You’re at 70k miles so depending on how and where you drive it should be a while before things start to fall apart.
But let’s say you do sell or trade in, what car that offers this much fun can be had right now for a decent price? I wouldn’t know what to get right now that doesn’t involve a huge monthly payment at 4 or more percent interest.

·
Registered
2013 TS ST3, with some stuff done.
1,425 Posts
Biggest thing you can do to keep the engine in good health, imho, is plenty of regular oil and filter changes, I personally change mine every 4K, making sure you use good quality oil and filter, preferably genuine oem, catch can is almost essential too.

·
Super Moderator
12,444 Posts
Most people that join car forums are looking for help with repair and/or maintenance; no surprises here.

·
Registered
84 Posts
At 84k I have zero issues and I track it on occasion even did an AutoX. I have none of the issues that other people have. My only modifications are a Roush Catback and catch can. Reading through the forums, those with issues tend to be tuned, modded for more power etc. I am 100% fine with stock power as it's plenty of fun. I have never been into limp mode even running the track in 95+ temps. Are the oil temps higher than I prefer? Yes. Is the coolant temp higher than I prefer? Yes. Does it negatively impact performance like others report? No. Do I heat soak the IC? Yes. I refuse to add power or a tune. A radiator, oil cooler and IC are the only engine bay mods that this car will ever get.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Shadow Black, E30, MonsterFMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' ShiftBushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
3,238 Posts
Romping it in too high a gear with aggressive throttle mapping is the primary source of most engine issues. Often happens with young or first time MT drivers.

Aggressive shifting with short shifters is not good for MT. And reseal that shift tower if it gets leaky.

Followed closely by old batteries, corroded battery cables, purge valves, and midi fuses.

There is other stuff that can be frustrating, but thankfully not that common.

Like any other car, try to know its weak spots and fix before problems develop or avoid them in the first place.

·
Administrator
2019 Mustang Bullitt
14,975 Posts
I've had mine for 9 years, 40,000 miles, and only issues that I've had that weren't self-inflicted were a couple of recalls: the purge valve/tank deformation nonsense and the door latch replacement.
40k? Wtf man!!! Drive the thing, geez. Lol

I went 107 before it popped, had zero issues that I didnt cause/faulty aftermarket parts.

Its a very reliable "hothatch"

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
2,252 Posts
You better find some wood to knock on, @Shadow... you used post 666 to brag about going 188K miles on the stock clutch.

·
Registered
2014 Oxford White ST3
106 Posts
If it makes you feel better, I've got a 177K trouble free miles on mine. Literally, the only thing I've done to it is change the oil, filters, and replace tires. It's been a great car. I'm in the process now of going BT and probably regretting it.....LOL!

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
2,252 Posts
If it makes you feel better, I've got a 177K trouble free miles on mine. Literally, the only thing I've done to it is change the oil, filters, and replace tires. It's been a great car. I'm in the process now of going BT and probably regretting it.....LOL!
Regret it? Doubtful... First time you get the OK from the tuner to open it up on a 60% or higher WGDC setting, it'll put a grin on your face that won't wipe off for a while. 75% or higher is more like "holy tirespin through 80 mph, batman!"

If the motor is still healthy and you don't get TOO crazy with it, it'll likely be just fine. How's your clutch, though?

Reactions: Machspeed
1 - 20 of 27 Posts