Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Normally I let faster cars go on, essentially ignoring them. But when it is a higher end sports car, especially one rising into exotic car territory ....

Back in January I noticed the approach of a sweet looking Porsche in my rear view mirror.

It was in the left lane, a beautiful grey color.

I estimated he was moving along at 100-110mph. I've observed this to be typical behavior from Porsches.

When he got within a car length I downshifted into 4th to catch up.

When I took my car to Sebring Raceway I found that 4th would rev out around 114ish mph. I was near redline as I kept pace with the Porsche, which confirmed my initial speed estimate.

I upshifted into 5th and glanced, yet again, at Waze lol. Still clear.

Perhaps the Porsche was also running Waze and had noticed the same thing, perhaps they didn't like someone pacing them ... because they sped up.

I hit the gas to keep pace. I wasn't trying to overtake or race, just keeping the pace, checking the car out ... what can I say :D

The Porsche kept going, I kept going, now into 6th gear.

I glanced at the speedo, the fastest I've gone so far in this car, and at Waze, still clear.

He held the new speed, me just pacing along.

We caught up to two vehicles, in the standard south Florida formation, one on the right and one in the left but pacing behind lol, yeah, pretty typical.

We could see them from afar so no brakes, just let off the gas and coast.

I check Waze again, still clear, which adds to my concern. It's a beautiful day and hardly any cars on the road.

I let the Porsche go, vigilant that there may be an unreported cop up ahead 'somewhere', as we were approaching two spots where I've observed them before.

THEN, EARLIER TODAY

a GT350 is having some fun, so it’s time to put it in 4th and tag along. I kept it in 4th, keeping pace. He must have noticed and got off the gas. I slowly pulled up next to him and lowered my window.
He blipped the throttle, it was pretty loud lol and I gave him a thumbs up.
He got on the gas again, full throttle and I was mostly able to keep up. I attribute this to the turbo.

I really dig this ST :D

·
Registered
991 Posts
Must be a Florida thing. I havent had any exciting encounters in my ST in my year and 18,000 miles of ownership. A few waves from fellow ST owners but thats about it.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I take it you don't have to worry about aircraft down there?
Sorry for the possibly dumb question, but what does an aircraft have to do with speeding?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Aircraft with speed radar installed loitering above ready to zap you.

Reactions: Invincible

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Wow. Luckily we don't have that kind of **** here.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
well, yes and no...they actually fly over the freeways in slow moving fixed wing aircraft (usually single engine cessnas) and manually time your vehicle between two known points. Then if needed, give your ground speed to the troopers waiting on the other side of that hill or bend in the road. You (being the unsuspecting yahoo) ignorantly come around the bend only to see 2 or 3 of our finest sitting in the emergency lane, and you will either get waved over to the side, or one of their cruisers is ready to slide in behind you in case you didn’t get the hint.

I got nailed that way long ago in my 400hp Eagle Talon, I had JUST bought it and was wringing it out on the I-5 south of Sacramento...92mph in a 65 and when the trooper asked what I thought of the process I said “I’m awful glad you guys didn’t time me 10 miles sooner” he actually laughed and shook my hand, but still gave me the ticket.

·
Registered
69 Posts
well, yes and no...they actually fly over the freeways in slow moving fixed wing aircraft (usually single engine cessnas) and manually time your vehicle between two known points. Then if needed, give your ground speed to the troopers waiting on the other side of that hill or bend in the road. You (being the unsuspecting yahoo) ignorantly come around the bend only to see 2 or 3 of our finest sitting in the emergency lane, and you will either get waved over to the side, or one of their cruisers is ready to slide in behind you in case you didn’t get the hint.

I got nailed that way long ago in my 400hp Eagle Talon, I had JUST bought it and was wringing it out on the I-5 south of Sacramento...92mph in a 65 and when the trooper asked what I thought of the process I said “I’m awful glad you guys didn’t time me 10 miles sooner” he actually laughed and shook my hand, but still gave me the ticket.
Ahhhh....that’s how it’s done. Thanks wingnutt

Reactions: wingnutt

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
250 Posts
California thing too...happens to me all the time on I-5 back and forth to LA 😎
Jeesus! yes, i was just thinking this exact thing this morning. Almost every day there is someone who wants to race me. usually beemer and mopar guys. sometimes i indulge but i think im going to get a sticker made that says ," race days on sundays". In my MR2 i cant get anyone to run with me lol. But the only car ive lost to in that was a 600awhp evo. anyway Im not gonna "actually" race anyone until BT.

Reactions: wingnutt

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Yeah I got a kid that's dying to race me with his Hyundai Tiburon. Says it's putting down like 280 horse or something. he's got a big coffee table on the rear end. I don't know what to make of it I should just race him.

·
Super Moderator
8,373 Posts
Yeah I got a kid that's dying to race me with his Hyundai Tiburon. Says it's putting down like 280 horse or something. he's got a big coffee table on the rear end. I don't know what to make of it I should just race him.
Can you afford yet another loss?

Lmfao

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
250 Posts
Of course you should. and if you do lose its just motivation to get more go fasty bits. and a Tiburon with 280? I guess its possible. they're 180 roughly stock... 2700lb curb weight ish. if hes turbo then it would be a good race.

Reactions: G heinrich
1 - 17 of 17 Posts