Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle Car Auto part City car Glass

Tried some Dipping on the box covers of my engine bay to spice things up a bit. came out really good in my opinion...also only $12.....cant beat that. Post pics if you guys have done similar. would love to see whats out there. Also, if anyone has an extra air box lid. let me know. Thanks again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ive never tried hydro dipping, is there a specific way you did yours? is it pretty easy to do yourself? sorry if this is a dumb questions.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive never tried hydro dipping, is there a specific way you did yours? is it pretty easy to do yourself? sorry if this is a dumb questions.
dude, not a dumb question at all. this was so simple. i painted my lids silver. then got a 5 gallon bucket, filled it with water and let it settle. i then used spray paint and sprayed onto the water in the bucket. spray however many colors you please. i used black, white and lime green. i then used a small stick to mix the colors together slowly and simply lowered the lids into the bucket slowly. then used a paper towel to get the paint off the top of the water and pulled it out. sooooooo easy

·
Registered
150 Posts
You have convinced me to give this a try. Anyone else have any experience and have recommendations on type of paint to use?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
dude, not a dumb question at all. this was so simple. i painted my lids silver. then got a 5 gallon bucket, filled it with water and let it settle. i then used spray paint and sprayed onto the water in the bucket. spray however many colors you please. i used black, white and lime green. i then used a small stick to mix the colors together slowly and simply lowered the lids into the bucket slowly. then used a paper towel to get the paint off the top of the water and pulled it out. sooooooo easy
That sounds too easy not to try.

Reactions: Giaco45

·
Registered
816 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
How durable is it? I covered some interior trim in carbon fiber vinyl but it's starting to come up a bit so I'm thinking of getting the same trim hydro-dipped but I don't want to spend the extra money if the durability is going to be the same.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
How durable is it? I covered some interior trim in carbon fiber vinyl but it's starting to come up a bit so I'm thinking of getting the same trim hydro-dipped but I don't want to spend the extra money if the durability is going to be the same.
look at hydro-dip as paint, not vinyl. There is basically no chemical bond with vinyl, where with hydro-dip on correctly prepped surface it acts like paint. Also it would be wise to clear coat over the hydro which also enhances how resilient to abuse it is.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys. too many people to tag in here but i used engine spray paint, i little more expensive but it can withstand up to 500 degrees. a little excessive? yes. but i played it safe. i too saw it on youtube and literally thought it was too easy not to try. worked out great in my opinion. As for the dipping the engine cover, i may be getting a new full metal one. so if that falls through then i will be dipping that bad boiiiiii as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts