Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Brought my car in for service, and the plastic trim around the boot was scratched up and I noticed these big gaps between the top of the center stack and the plastic surround of the shift boot and velcro sticking out? Is this normal? Pics? Are our cars just that cheaply put together? Because I vacuumed and wiped down my interior panels yesterday and this wasn't here..Thanks dudes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
768 Posts
Define "service". What did you have them do; something that would require them to take the console apart? If so, hold them accountable. Mine doesn't look like that crap. If you got the car back like that and it wasn't that way before, seems pretty self explanatory to me. Also, you say you wiped it down the day before service? I clearly see smudge marks and fingerprints all over the place.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You might have a tough time proving it was them since you have already taken the car back. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Define "service". What did you have them do; something that would require them to take the console apart? If so, hold them accountable. Mine doesn't look like that crap. If you got the car back like that and it wasn't that way before, seems pretty self explanatory to me. Also, you say you wiped it down the day before service? I clearly see smudge marks and fingerprints all over the place.
I had a misfire in cylinder two (cracked plug), and they also apparently fixed the latch recall issue. Can you send some pictures so I can use them for a reference at the dealer? I took these pictures right after I got home from the dealer and had a chance to look, I also emailed the pictures to the service manager. It would help to have some non-stock images from a real-world focus owner!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might have a tough time proving it was them since you have already taken the car back. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The service department was closing and I didn't really have time to look, but when I got home and parked the car I noticed. So annoying.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
take the service manager out and show him any focus on the lot, none of them will be that way.

or just grab that trim piece and try to slide it toward the dash. often when removing a panel like that, the clips may slide off a tiny bit (or all the way) and you need to push them back on all the way before putting the panel back on. but I dont understand why they would have to remove that piece to trouble shoot the misfire nor when dealing with a latch replacement.

but also, yes, our cars are put together that cheaply.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I have noticed this on my 2015 ST3. It is pretty normal after removing that trim piece. I have become very familiar with removing and reinstalling that trim piece. In my experience if everything is sitting 100% exactly right it will click together without that gap. You would be surprised even when things appear to be clicked together quite well there can be some plastic pinched somewhere underneath. The solution is to remove & carefully reinstall, hopefully diagnosing where the problem is, or in other words like most things patience is the answer.

My understanding is the white "velcro" is padding to keep vibration noice down. I thought that was a sign of fairly decent build quality. I find our trim is generally well engineered anyway.

It is very likely the dealer took that trim piece off, then reinstalled it but not correctly. Yes they should fix this. With the right plastic trim tools you could probably fix this easily too though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have noticed this on my 2015 ST3. It is pretty normal after removing that trim piece. I have become very familiar with removing and reinstalling that trim piece. In my experience if everything is sitting 100% exactly right it will click together without that gap. You would be surprised even when things appear to be clicked together quite well there can be some plastic pinched somewhere underneath. The solution is to remove & carefully reinstall, hopefully diagnosing where the problem is, or in other words like most things patience is the answer.

My understanding is the white "velcro" is padding to keep vibration noice down. I thought that was a sign of fairly decent build quality. I find our trim is generally well engineered anyway.

It is very likely the dealer took that trim piece off, then reinstalled it but not correctly. Yes they should fix this. With the right plastic trim tools you could probably fix this easily too though.
I'm not the type to go back all angry at the dealer and stuff. I've noticed most of the time if you're understanding of them they're understanding of you. But I pulled that trim piece of last night because I had those exact thoughts, that maybe it just wasn't seated correctly. But after reinstalling, same issue. I tried to put in a small piece of black foam rather than that ugly white piece, and the gap is still noticeable, so I wrote the service guy this morning and basically said "Since it's just a trim piece I tried to fix it myself, but the gap is still pretty bad." He told me to bring it in for inspection and repair. Seems like a nice dude.

As an aside...this is why i HATE bringing my car in for service. I understand it's not a Ferrari. I'm not hitting my car with a clay bar every two weeks and waxing it like it's my job. But I spent 23k on this thing (OTD, 0% interest woo!), and that's hard earned money! If any damage is gonna be done to it, it better be me..

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
for what its worth, I just took these of my 15 and to the best of my knowledge, this trim piece has never been removed.

it is just a quicker version of one of fords cheapest cars after all, its not going to have Lincoln build quality.

IMG_20170725_120845.jpg
IMG_20170725_120856.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that totally make sense. I guess I was annoyed because I had just cleaned it up the day before and didn't see that at all, and the right side of that u-shaped trim piece around the shifter was covered in scratches. I just wish people would be a little more careful with cars that aren't theirs.

A friend of mine let me borrow his m3 for the weekend and said "go have fun, enjoy it." And I did haha. Plenty of WOT runs which he encouraged. But you better believe I brought that car back to him washed, spotless and with a full tank. Just a matter of respecting other people's stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts