Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not true. It all depends on the spool of the turbo. The problem is between 2500-4000 rpm because the cams are not pumping the HPFP fast enough. Once your past that point it's all good. We just made 466/400 on the stock fuel system with a GTX2976 and there is still plenty of fuel left. The car was running a solid 11.8 afr with no fuel pressure drops. It's all about the tuner. @TuxedST
Who was the tuner on this setup?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Not true. It all depends on the spool of the turbo. The problem is between 2500-4000 rpm because the cams are not pumping the HPFP fast enough. Once your past that point it's all good. We just made 466/400 on the stock fuel system with a GTX2976 and there is still plenty of fuel left. The car was running a solid 11.8 afr with no fuel pressure drops. It's all about the tuner. @TuxedST
LOL I knew the quotes of those numbers were coming because I just saw the thread a few days ago. So someone created those conditions in a single (oh maybe 2) isolated incident and you didn't blow up the car in the process. IMO taking the car past 350hp without more fueling is risky. If you like to ride the ragged edge of what can be done, by all means go ahead. I won't ever push my car that far without aux fuel or this new pump you speak of, granted it doesn't cost $5000.00 The point of my post was just to say that DI is amazing and the kinds of pressures it operates at are awesome, but when you take everything else way outside the parameters of what the engineers originally intended stuff gets risky...

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
LOL I knew the quotes of those numbers were coming because I just saw the thread a few days ago. So someone created those conditions in a single (oh maybe 2) isolated incident and you didn't blow up the car in the process. IMO taking the car past 350hp without more fueling is risky. If you like to ride the ragged edge of what can be done, by all means go ahead. I won't ever push my car that far without aux fuel or this new pump you speak of, granted it doesn't cost $5000.00 The point of my post was just to say that DI is amazing and the kinds of pressures it operates at are awesome, but when you take everything else way outside the parameters of what the engineers originally intended stuff gets risky...
It's not a single incident. The car has been running like that daily driven and still no issues. There are a few in the same fashion running fine. I was there and reviewed the logs with the tuner. I saw every log from every run. It's just like it being said you cant run full E85 even with aux fuel. That's out the window also. like I said it's all about the tuner.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Also i am having some custom cams made to help the engine rev a little more, has anyone looked at the size of the lobes on the cams

Think the std lobe for the HPFP is 4.7mm is it worth going more ?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I don't know if anyone has. Switching to a 4 lobe might be an option too. If staying 3 lobe and changing the lift we'd need to know the max stroke of the pump.

I've wondered this exact thing before but it's out of my price range.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts