Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got some basic information on the HPFP upgrade I have been chasing for months

Seems it will be sold via RTR

Will flow 30% more fuel and up to 230bar

Bad news is the price, expected to be be $1850

This price may be for the motorsport version as I mentioned 8000rpm

·
Registered
862 Posts
Would be interested if the pricing was not going to be that crazy especially when you can buy an aux fuel kit for 900$ shipped which I just bought haha. But like everything else I am sure if enough people were interested in the product they would probably be able to put together a special pricing of some sort. Anyways, good job on the reaserch interested in seeing what they come up with and a comparison between stock and the upgrade.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely $ more worrying is that it will be £'s by the time I ship it in

Easier to map that the aux systems as they are stand alone etc

JM manifold and injectors looks the best way to go

Just wish everyone would hurry up

·
Registered
616 Posts
This is pretty awesome but aux fuel is so cheap now that I don't see it being a cost effective option. If the pump was $1200 then I could see it being a viable option. I'd still prefer aux due to the flexibility it offers.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
This is the proper solution. Pushing fuel in a dry manifold is not how you do things, it's a band-aid.

There might be a more affordable solution but I have to look into it, but for now this is a right way to go about solving the problem of low pressure when demand is high.

·
Registered
616 Posts
This is the proper solution. Pushing fuel in a dry manifold is not how you do things, it's a band-aid.

There might be a more affordable solution but I have to look into it, but for now this is a right way to go about solving the problem of low pressure when demand is high.
A large number of fuel kits inject directly into the intake ports. No fuel is running through the intake. Some of the early kits did inject just after the throttle body which is an inferior design in a dry manifold.

Manufacturers are starting to add port injection back in with DI. I wish I could remember who is the most recent.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Interesting post. I have a two questions.

1. The stock HPFP is capable of running 2750 PSI. Does anyone have enough modifications to run out of pressure? That seems like a lot of fuel to me, hard to believe a 4 cylinder would run out of fuel with just bolt ons.

2. Pressure is not always relative to flow, it's the low pressure pump in the tank that supplies to the flow to the HPFP. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to upgrade the low pressure side to supply more fuel to the HPFP? Or it is just a pressure issue and not supply?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Interesting post. I have a two questions.

1. The stock HPFP is capable of running 2750 PSI. Does anyone have enough modifications to run out of pressure? That seems like a lot of fuel to me, hard to believe a 4 cylinder would run out of fuel with just bolt ons.

2. Pressure is not always relative to flow, it's the low pressure pump in the tank that supplies to the flow to the HPFP. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to upgrade the low pressure side to supply more fuel to the HPFP? Or it is just a pressure issue and not supply?
The problem with the HPFP is it cannot maintain pressure at lower rpm. It's possible to run below 10 mbar in this range. Most aux systems supplement fuel in this range and start to taper out higher. Big kits that spool slower tend to avoid this area. The stock and small turbo cars are actually worse.

The lower pressure pump is more than powerful to keep up. It can supply enough to feed the HPFP and aux kits. It's not the problem.

This is can happen on straight gas. Once you get on e there can really be problems. I won't go on e30 with the dips I've seen unless we really ease into boost.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
What's this have to do with compression ratios?
Something about higher compression creates more energy by using the same amount of fuel.

Essentially you are making more power by increasing the compression only, leaving everything else the same. I don't have much knowledge on higher compression so i could be way off.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts