Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, Gonzo here. Had my 2016 ST since new. Lost first engine after lots of FBO abuse since 500 miles at 75k then second crap junkyard engine at 85k and a built engine at 96k. Now hoping I have better luck with a new builder with engine #4. Currently deployed but get back in March and will put the car back together then. Here's the list of mods:

Kleins built 2.3l stroker
Ported and polished head with supertech valves and springs.
Piper bp280 cams
Built trans with caged bearings, mfactory LSD, and carbon synchros
Radium aux fuel set up with ID1050X injectors
3 port boost solenoid
G30-660 turbo external WG
Cpe intake
All Damond mounts
Radium FST with AEM e85 pump
Fortune coilovers with all upgrades
Tb performance strut brace, torque gusset, mid brace, and rear brace.
Stratified guardian angel wired for internal 4 bar map and 3.5bar on intercooler
Levels intercooler
Depo charge pipes
Jdl auto designs catless downpipe and catback
Wilwood BBK
Full sundown audio setup with 6.5cs component sets in doors and sd4 10in sub in trunk
ST2 seats
Retrofitted headlights
Boom matted the entire floor as well
Quality full respray with better clear. 3 year ceramic coating
Jbr shift arm solid bushing

Sure I'm forgetting stuff but that's the gist
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,199 Posts
Welcome! Quite the engine list you've had so far! Out of my own curiosity, did you happen to transfer over fuel system components (injectors, hpfp) when you installed new engines, or did you reuse them? Were the cylinder failures the same cylinder?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome! Quite the engine list you've had so far! Out of my own curiosity, did you happen to transfer over fuel system components (injectors, hpfp) when you installed new engines, or did you reuse them? Were the cylinder failures the same cylinder?
First engine didn't really fail. Noticed a little smoke at idle so sent it in. Head failed. Got another engine with 30k miles and that one failed at cylinder 3. Built engine went in with everything new. Sensors, coils, hpfp, injectors. Failed at cylinder 4 due to bad craftsmanship.

·
Registered
536 Posts
First engine didn't really fail. Noticed a little smoke at idle so sent it in. Head failed. Got another engine with 30k miles and that one failed at cylinder 3. Built engine went in with everything new. Sensors, coils, hpfp, injectors. Failed at cylinder 4 due to bad craftsmanship.
I’m just starting the engine replacement options crunch. Motor let go on the dyno at 6200 RPMs on stock internals. Made 450/450. It’s my DD so that adds to the complexity making my choice. What did you do about the built motor failing? Did the builder do anything for you? I’d be out at four engines. Your a trooper!

Reactions: MtnMan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m just starting the engine replacement options crunch. Motor let go on the dyno at 6200 RPMs on stock internals. Made 450/450. It’s my DD so that adds to the complexity making my choice. What did you do about the built motor failing? Did the builder do anything for you? I’d be out at four engines. Your a trooper!
You posted on the focus Facebook page no? Red focus? I'm gonzo legna on Facebook. Said builder tried to blame me even though I'd been having issues since I received the car from his shop. Even called out his possible false dyno since the car made 462 but I got bussed by my buddy car who is tuned by Alan at edge and he only made a little over 400. When I told him I'd take to social media said shop threatened legal action.

Shop never took accountability save for wanting to charge me more money. One of the shops supporters actually just sent all the parts to a shop of my choice to build me a new engine. Nice of him but definitely should have been something the shop owner did. Ended up having to get a new core because the built block was so badly machined, the shop would have had to do new sleeves in the cylinders since none were even close to even. This built block in question only had a little over 6k miles on it too from when I got it from them.

·
Registered
536 Posts
You posted on the focus Facebook page no? Red focus? I'm gonzo legna on Facebook. Said builder tried to blame me even though I'd been having issues since I received the car from his shop. Even called out his possible false dyno since the car made 462 but I got bussed by my buddy car who is tuned by Alan at edge and he only made a little over 400. When I told him I'd take to social media said shop threatened legal action.

Shop never took accountability save for wanting to charge me more money. One of the shops supporters actually just sent all the parts to a shop of my choice to build me a new engine. Nice of him but definitely should have been something the shop owner did. Ended up having to get a new core because the built block was so badly machined, the shop would have had to do new sleeves in the cylinders since none were even close to even. This built block in question only had a little over 6k miles on it too from when I got it from them.
Yes that’s my car I’m sure. Trying to work out the logistics now. Need a DD while building otherwise it’ll be a used engine for the quick turnaround.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts