Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. New here...Just picked up 2016 ST with only 2200 miles on it. It definitely has Roush cat back exhaust on it. It also has some type of BOV on it as it hisses at every shift regardless of RPM. What I want to know is how do I tell if there is a tune on it? Just not sure why someone would put these add-ons on the car only trade it in with 2200 on the odometer. I haven't had a chance to crawl under and see if there possibly a DP on it or not. (my guess is no). Also, is there anything else I should look for as far as mods go? Thanks in advance for the info!!!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on your purchase. It's nice to get some free mods.

One way to see if the car currently has a Cobb time is to see if it will change map slots. Here's a video which shows what I'm talking about.

Also, you can see if you have an upgraded front mount intercooler by looking through the front grille. If you see plastic things covering the fmic, you have the stock unit. If not, it's likely upgraded.

Reactions: screzzy

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Is the shift light always telling you to shift? If it is, you're likely stock. If it isn't and only comes on when approaching redline, you're likely tuned. That's how SCT tunes (typically.. since it's an option item) work anyway. Not positive about Cobb.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Is the shift light always telling you to shift? If it is, you're likely stock. If it isn't and only comes on when approaching redline, you're likely tuned. That's how SCT tunes (typically.. since it's an option item) work anyway. Not positive about Cobb.
Yeah that isn't true, mine still tells me to shift at 2100rpm. Like the video posted above, a quick way to tell is by pulling your cruise control switch and seeing if your RPM indicates a mode. Or checking stuff like if you have launch control (2-step).

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Let me restate. I'm explaining how to tell if it's tuned by an SCT tuner. Your description applies *only* to COBB. There's no map switching with SCT.
I know, I'm just saying it isn't an accurate way to tell if the car is tuned. That is all. Congrats on 1,000 posts! lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently bought a 2018 Focus ST from the auction, I noticed that it has the intercooler charge pipes a high-flow catted downpipe with the resonator delete,blow off valve ,short shifter catch can ,colder spark plugs. My question is I'm not sure if it's tuned or not I have no check engine light?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
3,065 Posts
Nothing you currently have would require a tune, except maybe the rear O2 sensor if it doesn't have a defouler installed.

More than likely they unmarried a tuning device like an AP3. But again it's not required to have.

I would do a compression test on the cylinders, check to see if it has a factory or aftermarket intercooler.. If it does then look into getting a tuner. If not then look at getting one before tuning as the factory IC is a extremely poor performer.

Welcome to the forum.

J

1 - 10 of 10 Posts