Ford Focus ST Forum banner

How to run in/break in/lapping engine (?)

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  galaxy7 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey folks!
I am customer from Europe (Poland) and I am only a few days from receive my new white ST2. Therefore I have an important question - how did you run in/break in/lapping engine (?) I dont know how it is in english exactly (if you can tell me which is proper:), I mean this process after purchasing new car in which you shouldn't go to the limits by a few thousands of kilometers.
So the question is, how was in your case? I heard two types - one is gently till for example 1k kilometers and second - hard by motoman: Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power (TL;DR:Short quote: "The best method is to alternate between short bursts of hard acceleration and deceleration")
Can you help me? :)

#3 ·
Most people know it in english as engine break in.
Drive easy most times, but vary rpms consistently for the first 1k miles (~1600km), the occasional 50-75% throttle accelerations won't hurt anything.

Some people do this, some people do that, some people don't follow any procedure and romp on their car immediately and most have been fine. Do as you wish.

#4 ·
Just don't stay in the same RPM for forever for the first 1,000 miles or beat the living **** out of it. As long as you use common sense the first thousand or two, you'll be fine. Nothing "special" needs to be done here.

#8 ·
Boom...this x2! On every new car/engine/motorcycle (all Ducati's) I've ever owned, I run the snot out of it from day one. Left the dealer in a wall of tire smoke. Conventional wisdom supports that an engine willl handle and hold up the way it was broken in. Baby it, and she'll not like the abuse later on. Knock on wood, but every car I've ever broken in his way has served me beyond extremely well. Manufacturers breakmin methods are a liability matter, nothing more. Get a custom engine built aftermarket from somewhere...how do you think they're broken in? I'll answer for you...wide ass open on a dyno.

#9 ·
I was definitely kidding with the rev limiter and dump it suggestion, since it's a joke all my motorcycle friends and I use. However, I am an advocate of exactly this (just not as far as rev limiter lol) and getting the engine broken in on the harder side. There is a reason Ford recommends not staying at the same RPM and what not when breaking in, you need to go up and down the RPM range and get it all loose in there at all RPMs. That way your engine doesn't freak out the first time you accidentally miss a gear or money shift into 2nd instead of 4th. It's a fun car, it's built for the abuse. Go to the Octane academy and you'll see some abuse. Live it up!

@vvixom I'm a Mobil 1 guy, always have been. They are often at the top of the conversation amongst tests and isn't THAT MUCH more expensive than other options. Often it goes on sale for cheaper than other Full Synth oils. Like @ddfred said, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and alike works just as well I'm sure. If you see Pennzoil on sale for $20 and see Mobil for $30 you better get the Pennzoil. The money saved vs brand loyalty that makes little difference there is pointless. Mobil is just my go-to unless I have a reason to do otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.