Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some underglow but I can’t find a way to route it through the dash into my cigarette adaptor. I know how to route through the engine baby into the battery but I’d prefer if I could route it into my car. I spent an hour trying to figure it out and couldn’t find anything. Google didn’t show anything either. Has anyone done it before?

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
654 Posts
Step 1: stop ricing. Step 2: there's a grommet in the passenger footwell you can punch through if you're really that set on going into the cabin, but I gotta ask, why? Using the cigarette lighter creates alot of extra work and is guaranteed to have cables hanging around unpleasantly.
There are fused female 12v/cigarette taps that add a second barrel, can have it all hardwired behind plastic as a "clean tap"

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I'd do an add a fuse, piggy back off a switched power source and run that to a switch to turn the lights on or off. Spend a few more minutes doing some research and cleanly mount and install everything. You can look up some hardwiring of cameras for some easy examples on adding fused power

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Step 1: stop ricing. Step 2: there's a grommet in the passenger footwell you can punch through if you're really that set on going into the cabin, but I gotta ask, why? Using the cigarette lighter creates alot of extra work and is guaranteed to have cables hanging around unpleasantly.
Well because it comes with a control box and it’s supposed to be in the interior but I suppose I could just strap it somewhere in the engine bay.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd do an add a fuse, piggy back off a switched power source and run that to a switch to turn the lights on or off. Spend a few more minutes doing some research and cleanly mount and install everything. You can look up some hardwiring of cameras for some easy examples on adding fused power
It comes with in an line fuse so do I still need one or am I good to go with just connecting it to the battery?

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
654 Posts
Sorry what’s an “in place barrel”? I am new to all of this.
I meant the existing 12V/Cigarette ligther, if thats where you're deadset pulling power from.

Tap the existing 12v, then you can have it tucked away hidden behind panel and your 12V still free/clean.

Reactions: Jackk17

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
654 Posts
If you go this route, get a fused version of the example I quickly linked above

Reactions: Jackk17

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
It comes with in an line fuse so do I still need one or am I good to go with just connecting it to the battery?
The add a fuse is a way to get power, while also also using a fuse. So you take your lights, connect the hot to an add a fuse and then ground to an existing grounding spot. Lots have used fuse 80 (moonroof, 20 amp) or 85 (heated seats, 7.5 amp.)

Here watch this to learn about adding fuses

1 - 13 of 13 Posts