Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few weeks ago someone walking down the sidewalk decided it would be a good idea to hit my car with something (I can't wait for the day I don't have to park on the street) and smashed the black plastic door trim piece on my passenger side front door and also damaged the rubber window seal as you can see below.
20180429_114248.jpg
The seal was hardly damaged but I wanted to be on the safe side since it keeps water out of the door.

So here are the part numbers, the parts are reasonably priced which was nice for a change.
https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts/2015/ford/focus/titanium-trim/2-0l-l4-flex-engine/body-cat/exterior-trim-front-door-scat <-- link for trim pieces from Tasca
https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts/2017/ford/focus/electric-trim/electric-engine/body-cat/glass-front-door-scat <-- link for window sealing from Tasca

CP9Z-5820554-A - Applique - Passenger side front door black trim
CP9Z-5820555-A - Here's the driver side in case you need that
F1EZ-5821596-A - Run Weather-Strip - Passenger side front door window rubber seal
F1EZ-5821597-A - Here's the driver side

I couldn't find a good "how to" for this and I've seen a lot of people say how scratched that trim piece gets but they don't want to replace it but hopefully this helps some people do it, the trim piece is only $32 and surprisingly easy to replace. No interior door panel or glass removal necessary!! I'm sure all 4 doors are similar to this.

Tools Needed:
Flat Head Screw Driver
Screw Driver w/ T-25 Torx Bit
Screw Driver w/ T-30 Torx Bit
Your hands and some common sense

1) Roll the window fully down and pull the rubber seal out next to the trim piece, don't be afraid to just yank it out. It slides right out.
20180520_133810.jpg
2) The trim piece has 3 bolts/self tapping screws in the locations circled above (bolts not pictured), remove the 3 bolts w/ a T-25 torx bit.
3) Pull the rubber window seal off the door across the top until reaching the mirror
20180520_134454.jpg
4) Remove the small speaker on the inside of the door, it pops right out, no bolts. Pull the rear side off first (it will sound like it breaks but mine didn't). Then pull UP on it. It has 2 little plastic pop "rivets" and you'll slide it off these 2 without pulling them out of the door .
20180520_141400.jpg
20180520_141445.jpg
5) Remove the 3 bolts that hold the mirror on w/ a T-30 Torx bit, 1 is behind a little rubber cap that pops right off. Disconnect the wiring connection and the mirror will pull right off easy.
20180520_141718.jpg
6) Pull the rest of the weather stripping straight out, there's a quite a bit on the mirror side that is down inside the door.
7) Now the "tough" part. Roll the window up so about an inch of the glass is sticking out on the mirror side. This will act as a starting guide to start pushing the new seal down inside the door. Make sure all the folds are correct, it's a pretty intricate seal, and slide it down as far as you can surrounding the glass. Then roll the window all the way down again because it makes it much much easier to push the seal in. Squeeze the seal into a "U" shape surrounding the window and push it inside the door. After every inch or so of pushing the seal in, roll the window up so it kind of aligns the seal. Do this until the seal is fully pushed in.
20180520_142558.jpg
20180520_143347.jpg
8) Finish pressing the seal into place across the top of the door. Once reaching the other corner it's easiest to get the corner all pressed on, THEN place the new plastic trim on, bolt it down, and then finish the seal pressing it onto the trim and pushing it again down into the door like you did on the other side. Use a flat blade screw driver to wiggle and push the seal all the way against the trim to ensure there's a good seal. Put the mirror and speaker back on, roll the window up and presto!!!
20180520_145247.jpg

·
Registered
381 Posts
Bout to attempt this tomorrow!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
Very nice write up! By chance have you or anyone else on here removed the other black plastic pieces? Is it safe to assume that once you remove the rubber seal that there will be access to the screws on the other pieces?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Finally got around to this yesterday, after struggling with the last few inches of material, I pulled it completely out, applied grape seed oil on the rubber parts, and it slid in faster than I pulled it out from it's package.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts