Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you drive your car in the winter rust is your worst enemy when it comes to working on your car. I was upgrading my rear rotors to RS rotors and the stock rotors wouldn't budge at all, I tried to hammer it out from the back but that didn't work. As I was siting staring at the problem hoping it'll magically disappear I remembered how I installed the front shocks by spreading the knuckle using a bolt and scrap metal, so it hit me and decided I need to run to homedepot to get some bolts and nuts.

Here is what you need:
- A bolt with a least 3 inches of thread.
- 2-4 nuts.
- A washer.

Ideally you want a bolt with a hex head on it which I couldn't find at all at homedepot, so I got a headless bolt and used two nuts (see the picture) and threaded them all the way back and locked them together. This way I can use a wrench to thread a bolt that doesn't have a hex head.

After putting the nuts like the picture all you have to do is thread the bolt using nut #1 (or the head) and hold bolt #3. As you push the rotor out you will hear the rotor pop don't worry about it just make sure you do this on multiple points so back out the bolt then spin the rotor and thread the bolt back in.

I spent 5 hours longer than it should but thats not the worst part, apparently this method is very well known and there are so many video on it -___-

IMG_0072.JPG

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried all of the above. The PB and hammer method worked on the fronts after couple hours of hammering, this worked right away and also didn't mess up the rotor.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Seems to be more work than needed, hit it with a mini-sledge if you aren't going to reuse the rotors.

Spray a little WD40 through the stud holes and hit it like a man!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
After putting the nuts like the picture all you have to do is thread the bolt using nut #1 (or the head) and hold bolt #3. As you push the rotor out you will hear the rotor pop don't worry about it just make sure you do this on multiple points so back out the bolt then spin the rotor and thread the bolt back in.

I spent 5 hours longer than it should but thats not the worst part, apparently this method is very well known and there are so many video on it -___-
I had a really really stuck rotor on my wife's mazda 3 last year.. BFH failed and i felt like if i hit it any more or harder, i was going to really mess things up. Googled and found this method, still didnt work. The bolts started bending on me.

If anyone wants the end all failsafe way to get a rotor off; a hydraulic, three armed gear puller from Harbor Freight did the trick. Broke one of the rotors in the process but it broke it free and came off. Living in the rust belt sucks

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Spray paint the rotor and hub where they contact with rustoleum caliper paint and never worry about this again.
This, but make sure it dries. I shouldn't have to add that note, but this is America...people are stupid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts