Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first time posting in this forum. I usually search around the forum and I'll usually find the answers that I need.

I have a 2016 focus st. Running stratified tune with cobb catted downpipe and magnaflow cat back exhaust.

I've had this setup for 2 months now and I think it's too loud. I was thinking of removing the resonator right after the downpipe and replace it with 2) vibrant 1141 resonators.

Would this quiet the exhaust down?

I've been having issues with this exhaust due to rubbing noises and droning. I've carefully read through this forum and found ways to fix the issue.

Would removing the resonator after the downpipe and replacing it with 2) vibrant 1141 resonators be worth the money or should I get another exhaust that is a little more quieter.

Amazon.ca sells vibrant 1141 for 124 cdn each. I've asked my local muffler shop, muffler man in burnaby, and they quoted me 200 cdn for labor.

What other exhausts do you guys recommend other than stock would be a bit quieter?

Remus? Miller? Jdl?

Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've done a lot of reading on this. I have a Magnaflow exhaust and stock DP, but I have a Depo catted DP ready to install. I am not happy with the drone/reverb that the exhaust makes above 3500 rpm. It almost rings your ears. My plan is to put a legit muffler, not a straight threw design, back in the stock location.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the 3" Cobb exhaust and had the same issue. I installed one of the Vibrant resonators before the Cobb resonator and it made a big difference. It's still loud under full throttle, but the drone is about 90% gone, and much more tolerable.
Before I installed the vibrant resonator, I recorded over 105db at full throttle at about 3500 from the passenger seat. after installing it, I recorded about 90db.

I did not try multiple, has one got to where I could live with it.

Just a word of advice about adding the vibrant resonators. make sure your muffler shop uses stainless welding rod 308L is compatible. Preferred method would be to TIG it with a back gas flow. Also if you use a stainless steel wire brush and brush right after welding, it will keep a good stainless color, and not turn blue on you. If Your shop welds it up with a MIG and normal steel welding wire, it will crack in while as the steel is not compatible with the stainless steel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip everyone.

I might just get a new muffler design. Anything that is straight through would be loud.

The only reason I went with magnaflow was because I got a smoking deal on the exhaust. I only paid 600 cdn plus tax on it. In the states, they go for 800 use and up.

I might want to stick with 2.5" because to avoid running issues.

·
Registered
768 Posts
You guys taking all these high dollar, gorgeous, well designed exhaust systems and hacking them up to make them quieter just kills me. I got an idea...put the stock exhaust back on. Not trying to be a jerk, but seriously, spending this time, effort, and money to modify a modified exhaust system to make it sound like stock is crazy. If you have a 2.5" Magnaflow and you think that's too loud for you, then yea, you really should consider just putting the stock system back on.

·
Premium Member
13,885 Posts
You guys taking all these high dollar, gorgeous, well designed exhaust systems and hacking them up to make them quieter just kills me. I got an idea...put the stock exhaust back on. Not trying to be a jerk, but seriously, spending this time, effort, and money to modify a modified exhaust system to make it sound like stock is crazy. If you have a 2.5" Magnaflow and you think that's too loud for you, then yea, you really should consider just putting the stock system back on.
I kinda agree. There are lots of reviews out there for exhaust systems. I recommend not jumping the gun on one unless it's truly what you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not say I wanted it to sound like stock.

I need product feedback not counselling.

And I've read this quote from another post.

Thanks for being a jerk.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The Mountune exhaust fits your requirement perfectly. Zero drown, quiet like OE at cruise levels and opens up nicely at higher rpm. Also the high quality finish and straight forward direct fitting.

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
395 Posts
stock exhaust with catless downpipe sounds best IMO

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi this is my first time posting in this forum. I usually search around the forum and I'll usually find the answers that I need.

I have a 2016 focus st. Running stratified tune with cobb catted downpipe and magnaflow cat back exhaust.

I've had this setup for 2 months now and I think it's too loud. I was thinking of removing the resonator right after the downpipe and replace it with 2) vibrant 1141 resonators.

I've been having issues with this exhaust due to rubbing noises and droning. I've carefully read through this forum and found ways to fix the issue.

Would removing the resonator after the downpipe and replacing it with 2) vibrant 1141 resonators be worth the money or should I get another exhaust that is a little more quieter.

Amazon.ca sells vibrant 1141 for 124 cdn each. I've asked my local muffler shop, muffler man in burnaby, and they quoted me 200 cdn for labor.

What other exhausts do you guys recommend other than stock would be a bit quieter?

Remus? Miller? Jdl?

Thanks
Could be your muffler bearing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Check out a Remus, Milltek or Mountune setup. All have big mufflers, all are modest sounding no drone but sound great when opened up. The only downside is that these three are the most expensive setups especially the Milltek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just ordered a semi resonated Milltek to accompany my Mountune catted downpipe. Will advise on my thoughts when it's installed later this month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
363 Posts
I love the way my Borla sounds.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I had a Magnaflow, and the drone under acceleration was killing me. Sold the MF for $400 and bought the Mountune and couldn't be happier!

Perfect for my older ears

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Remus? Miller? Jdl?

Thanks
Could be your muffler bearing.
Muffler bearing.... good one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts